PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrapping a V70

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 18:49
Hi all any body tried vinyl wrapping a car. Im thinking of getting my V70 R done as the rear quarters have been painted in the past and both bumpers could do with being resprayed due to scratches etc etc. Its much cheaper and im thinking of trying to get close as i can to the laser blue colour.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:09
Can get a V70 done here for £600

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:44
Can get a V70 done here for £600

Ill be doing it my self and someone who used to do it as a business so no labour costs just the wrap, around £300 should cover it.

jotter22
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 20:22
What about that plasti dip stuff that looks easy enough.

Tony.

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 20:31
What about that plasti dip stuff that looks easy enough.

Tony.

Never heard of it will look it up now.

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 20:38
If you've got professional help, your in with a chance. I did my roof last year with V70Graham and it was a total PITA!

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 20:51
If you've got professional help, your in with a chance. I did my roof last year with V70Graham and it was a total PITA!

What happend?

v70tom
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 21:49
I did my bonnet n my v40 in black.
Gt a pic at my garage posted.
Needed 1 hour from polishing it to finish it with foil.
Carbon fibre black.
Was a bit a night mare but worked out.
Don't know if I would do the whole car.
Was thinking of e bonnet of the v70 as well but changed of plans to that now.
I would not do the whole car.
I use some Plastik finish cleaner on the wrap aft very wash to keep it shiny and deep black so it don't
Look cheap.
Just washing makes it grey and using washing up liquid makes it white.

I def would be interested in some pics when it's done please.

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 21:55
I did my bonnet n my v40 in black.
Gt a pic at my garage posted.
Needed 1 hour from polishing it to finish it with foil.
Carbon fibre black.
Was a bit a night mare but worked out.
Don't know if I would do the whole car.
Was thinking of e bonnet of the v70 as well but changed of plans to that now.
I would not do the whole car.
I use some Plastik finish cleaner on the wrap aft very wash to keep it shiny and deep black so it don't
Look cheap.
Just washing makes it grey and using washing up liquid makes it white.

I def would be interested in some pics when it's done please.

Well i do want to do it but its not for deffinate yet. If i do it ill post up pics of the process won't be for a while yet tho.

jotter22
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 22:04
cardipuk.com

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 22:12
What happend?

8 feet of very sticky plastic happened lol...

Post No. 91... click me! (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?42997-She-s-getting-there/page5)

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 22:36
8 feet of very sticky plastic happened lol...

Post No. 91... click me! (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?42997-She-s-getting-there/page5)

Came ok in the end didn't it?

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 22:37
cardipuk.com

Just emailed them for quote for the diy kit and the rubber paint stuff.

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 22:43

Yeah -after 5 hours and 3' wasted, it's still looking food nearly a year later. 1 bubble and 1 crease. I'm thinking about filler primer and 198.2 paint so it matches completely.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 23:18

For a first attempt it went well (in the end) though you do have to have a lot of patience, a heat gun (but not too close :wink:) and preferably a dust free environment !

Still, as Martin says it's still looking great a year on, and no more water getting in.

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 23:36
For a first attempt it went well (in the end) though you do have to have a lot of patience, a heat gun (but not too close :wink:) and preferably a dust free environment !

Still, as Martin says it's still looking great a year on, and no more water getting in.

If it wasn't for your calming influence, it would have been £40 of vinyl in the bin! ;)

T5frankie
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 23:40
i think you will find it can be as expensive as a respray do do a whole car

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 23:41
i think you will find it can be as expensive as a respray do do a whole car

I was quoted between 188 and 220 quid to do my roof.

paulcl09
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 22:37
Well i think im going to give the plasti dip a go from cardipuk using the neon blue. About £400 to do the whole car that's not bad.

jotter22
Thursday 14th February 2013, 07:43
Well i think im going to give the plasti dip a go from cardipuk using the neon blue. About £400 to do the whole car that's not bad.

Look on you tube the plasti dip do how too's and demos even show doing a whole car.

http://youtu.be/rNY9Dx617N8

Tony.

paulcl09
Thursday 14th February 2013, 08:17
Yeah I've been looking at loads of vids thanks. It doesn't look too bad to do and you can just peel it off if it goes wrong. But I'll give it a go and update.

V70 Graham
Thursday 14th February 2013, 08:57
Looks interesting, wonder how it stands up to stone chips etc, and dependant on area little scumbags peeling it off lol

paulcl09
Thursday 14th February 2013, 10:48
Looks interesting, wonder how it stands up to stone chips etc, and dependant on area little scumbags peeling it off lol

It looks pretty strong to be fare. Some of the vids on you tube show you them peeling it off and then stretching it, it should chip as its not hard its to elasticky. I will give it ago next month.

jotter22
Thursday 14th February 2013, 10:51
Dont forget they say it has a 2 week cure period i think.

Tony.

marct1980
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 21:33
i did my grille with the plasti-dip stuff and it did not hold up well in the winter, i don't know if it was the freezing cold and then the heat coming from the engine but it all started lifting / peeling away.

i must admit it looked great when it was first done and was easy to apply etc, very disappointed when it started peeling cos it was holding up great to the stone chips etc

paulcl09
Friday 8th March 2013, 18:07
Well peeps still waiting for cardipuk to get some spray dip, they haven't had any since i started this. Im gonna get some aerosols first just to do some test patches. Will keep you updated!!!

Haizum74
Sunday 10th March 2013, 14:57
Look on you tube the plasti dip do how too's and demos even show doing a whole car.

http://youtu.be/rNY9Dx617N8

Tony.

Yeh i definitely would give this a go

smithson007
Sunday 10th March 2013, 17:22
If you do your whole car do you need to be informing the DVLA. I know its not a permenant colour change but imagine your car got stolen police are looking for one colour of car and its a different colour all together.
I am fancying giving it a go though in the blaze blue.