PDA

View Full Version : Dual to Single mass flywheel

sartain87
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 16:15
Apart from the obvious single mass flywheel is there anything else needed to do the conversion? It's a V70R if that makes any difference?

I did try searching, and either my searching skills aren't up to scratch or there isn't many posts on this topic haha

T5frankie
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:09
Apart from the obvious single mass flywheel is there anything else needed to do the conversion? It's a V70R if that makes any difference?

I did try searching, and either my searching skills aren't up to scratch or there isn't many posts on this topic haha

you will need an 850r clutch mate, i have one in mine

Santa
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:12
As for difference, DMFs are meant to make driving smoother so the car may feel less refined. Other than that the car will probably feel more eager and responsive.

T5frankie
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:13
As for difference, DMFs are meant to make driving smoother so the car may feel less refined. Other than that the car will probably feel more eager and responsive.

i can tell you you wont notice the difference

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:13
you will need an 850r clutch mate, i have one in mine

Ok so exactly whats needed for this. I hate dual mass stupidly expensive if it goes wrong and you cant tell difference if your car has one or not by driving it. My clutch did start to slip a little while back but has started to behave itself but when i do change it i would like to remove the dual mass too.

Cheers

T5frankie
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:17
Ok so exactly whats needed for this. I hate dual mass stupidly expensive if it goes wrong and you cant tell difference if your car has one or not by driving it. My clutch did start to slip a little while back but has started to behave itself but when i do change it i would like to remove the dual mass too.

Cheers

smf and 850r clutch, thats all you will need mate

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:29
smf and 850r clutch, thats all you will need mate

Ok what car does the solid fly wheel come from is that from an 850R too?

T5frankie
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:30
Ok what car does the solid fly wheel come from is that from an 850R too?

it can be, but any 850 t5 has them

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:36
it can be, but any 850 t5 has them
Ok so any 850 T5 flywheel with an 850R clutch, i take it the concentric slave cylinder stays the same (v70r) one.

T5frankie
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:37
Ok so any 850 T5 flywheel with an 850R clutch, i take it the concentric slave cylinder stays the same (v70r) one.

yes mate it will go inside the gearbox

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 19:42
yes mate it will go inside the gearbox

Forgot to mention mine is AWD will this make any difference?

smithson007
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 20:15
Youll need new flywheel bolts too mate. Also might be worth thinking about doing RMS while youve got the flywheel off.

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 20:19
Youll need new flywheel bolts too mate. Also might be worth thinking about doing RMS while youve got the flywheel off.

Yeah ill be replacing those too. I just need to make sure this conversion works with AWD.

smithson007
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 20:41
Afraid i cant help you there mate. My V70R is FWD but im doing this swap when i get round to it. Ive got all the bits sitting ready to go.

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 20:48
Afraid i cant help you there mate. My V70R is FWD but im doing this swap when i get round to it. Ive got all the bits sitting ready to go.

Ok matey no worries. Just waiting for Frankie to write back he'll know.

T5frankie
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 21:29
Ok matey no worries. Just waiting for Frankie to write back he'll know.

errrrr.?? dont rightly know mate what clutch do they use as standard?

paulcl09
Tuesday 12th February 2013, 21:44
errrrr.?? dont rightly know mate what clutch do they use as standard?

A v70 r clutch i guess. I don't know the difference between the two. Obviously the awd has a different box but im not sure if the clutches are the same. I work just up the road from a volvo dealer so i could see if the part numbers are different for FWD and AWD i guess that's the only way to find out.

sartain87
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 06:30

RMS rear main seal?

Would a Volvo clutch be enough or worth using some sort of uprated clutch?

Is it straight forward swap?

And will the slave cylinder just fit straight inside the gearbox?

volvokid
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 06:44
I know a member with a S60R just changed his set up and is running a ap one?? Anyway he said it was miles cheaper than om parts and it's for racing so it's miles better too.

st1t5
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 21:38
In this months Car Mechanics magazine there is a good spread about DMF's and converting, there are / can be downsides to converting so be carefull. Worth a read if your thinking about doing it.

paulcl09
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 22:25
So does anyone know if this conversion can be done on the AWD?

MisterC1501
Thursday 14th February 2013, 08:25
You seem to be going to alot of trouble to do this "mod". Is there any particular reason WHY you want to go to single rather than dual. Volvo changed this from single to dual mass for a reason, so begs the question as to why you would want to fit something from a previous model.

paulcl09
Thursday 14th February 2013, 10:44
You seem to be going to alot of trouble to do this "mod". Is there any particular reason WHY you want to go to single rather than dual. Volvo changed this from single to dual mass for a reason, so begs the question as to why you would want to fit something from a previous model.

Because when i do eventually change the clutch i want to remove the dmf. Reason is because if it goes wrong they cost a bomb. I work for a main car dealer and we are replacing ours with solid flywheels when the dmf's fail as requested by the manufacture. There expensive and driving the car you can't tell if it has dmf or solid flywheel.

st1t5
Thursday 14th February 2013, 18:32
Until recently i had thought about replacing my DMF on my Renault with a solid item when my clutch does eventually go but upon doing my homework and seeing the downsides of converting im sticking with the DMF.
Totally agree that DMF's are an expensive thing to replace, however alot of places wrongly diagnose failed DMF's, also bad driving skills will vastly reduce the life span of a DMF ... (Not always the case i agree) ... maybe some people should be reviewing there driving habits if there DMF's are dying too soon.
In the article i read LUK and Valeo reported an increase in reports of snapped crankshafts, gearbox issues, driveshafts failures in cars that had been converted from DMF to single, they say that the cause is due to the single item being heavier than the DMF and therefor the rotating mass is putting extra strain on associated items, the manufacturer has designed and balanced that engine to run a DMF.

T5frankie
Thursday 14th February 2013, 18:51
Until recently i had thought about replacing my DMF on my Renault with a solid item when my clutch does eventually go but upon doing my homework and seeing the downsides of converting im sticking with the DMF.
Totally agree that DMF's are an expensive thing to replace, however alot of places wrongly diagnose failed DMF's, also bad driving skills will vastly reduce the life span of a DMF ... (Not always the case i agree) ... maybe some people should be reviewing there driving habits if there DMF's are dying too soon.
In the article i read LUK and Valeo reported an increase in reports of snapped crankshafts, gearbox issues, driveshafts failures in cars that had been converted from DMF to single, they say that the cause is due to the single item being heavier than the DMF and therefor the rotating mass is putting extra strain on associated items, the manufacturer has designed and balanced that engine to run a DMF.

a smf is not as heavy as a dmf

paulcl09
Thursday 14th February 2013, 19:45

A dmf is way way heavier. Also go and drive a car without one preferably the same sort of car and see if you can tell the difference i bet you can't. There's no downsides that i can think of. You get the same driveability without the 1ton flywheel and alot less money to pay when it goes wrong where as the solid flywheel doesn't. I drive about 10 different cars every day all with solid and dmf i can't tell.

st1t5
Thursday 14th February 2013, 20:12
A dmf is way way heavier. Also go and drive a car without one preferably the same sort of car and see if you can tell the difference i bet you can't. There's no downsides that i can think of. You get the same driveability without the 1ton flywheel and alot less money to pay when it goes wrong where as the solid flywheel doesn't. I drive about 10 different cars every day all with solid and dmf i can't tell.

Fair play Paul, you certainly have more experiance with it than me so i wont disagree. I would definetly want to have a test in a similar car with a SMF fitted before i converted though.

T5frankie
Thursday 14th February 2013, 20:15

as someone who has driven the same car with both (1998 volvo v70r) i can say that i didnt notice the difference

paulcl09
Thursday 14th February 2013, 20:32
Trust me you can't tell the difference i don't understand why they made dmf's i know they say its smoother and all that but you can't tell. I thought my v70r was solid but i was wrong its dmf but i cant tell. And as it weights a stupid amount and is expensive ill remove it if possible when i replace the clutch.

mike k
Saturday 16th February 2013, 00:56
Yes there pretty dear, i fitted a new dmf on my v70 r awd last i just thought with the haldex i did not want to take the risk, we have converted a few transits without any issues so far.