PDA

View Full Version : What was the standard turbo on a manual 850R?

volvo850R
Monday 11th February 2013, 18:23
Afternoon folks,

Havent posted for a while as all has been well with the 850 for a while:o

Good things always come to an end though and now my turbo is starting to whine on full boost and is covered in oil so a rebuild or replacement is on the cards.

The problem im having and reason for posting is conflicting information about what turbo my 1996 B5234T4 engined 850R manual needs.

I know i need a 16T and im planning on keeping it stock but what is the full turbo model number for this car? Is it a TD04HL-16T, TD04-16T or is it something completely different? Also does anyone know if i need a straight flange or angled?

Lastly is there another turbo with more benefits than the stock unit for this car without having to upgrade the internals of the engine? Im swinging towards keeping it stock tbh but maybe theres something that could sway me...

T5frankie
Monday 11th February 2013, 18:25
its the same turbo mate and you will need a straight flanged one

Nealevo
Monday 11th February 2013, 18:28
If you can wait a few weeks I'm having my 18t rebuilt and I will have a perfectly good only done 7000miles from new 16t turbo off my 850R.... I've just got to wait until I drop my engine for my manual conversion.

T5frankie
Monday 11th February 2013, 18:30
If you can wait a few weeks I'm having my 18t rebuilt and I will have a perfectly good only done 7000miles from new 16t turbo off my 850R.... I've just got to wait until I drop my engine for my manual conversion.

are you doing a manual conversion neal? you should of said mate, do a project thread or summit lol

Nealevo
Monday 11th February 2013, 18:30
I know it did cross my mind but didn't want to bore everyone.

volvo850R
Monday 11th February 2013, 18:35
cheers for the quick replies guys massive help!

Nealevo that sounds good to me mate im in no huge rush as its only just started showing symptoms of failing and ive got an mot to get through in the next 2 weeks so i dont mind waiting! I'll pm you in a few weeks to see how your getting on. I take it its the exact same turbo that would be fitted to my manual R?

T5frankie
Monday 11th February 2013, 18:41
I know it did cross my mind but didn't want to bore everyone.

lol

Jamest5r
Monday 11th February 2013, 18:56
are you doing a manual conversion neal? you should of said mate, do a project thread or summit lol

Never knew that, when you getting your hands dirty??

T5frankie
Monday 11th February 2013, 18:59
Never knew that, when you getting your hands dirty??

i have my hands dirty everyday mate, took two inlet manifolds off today refitted one, put all standard under bonnet pipework back on the s70r along with standard injectors and all in the snow lol, tomorrow is gonna be the same as well as all week most probably

Jamest5r
Monday 11th February 2013, 19:13
i have my hands dirty everyday mate, took two inlet manifolds off today refitted one, put all standard under bonnet pipework back on the s70r along with standard injectors and all in the snow lol, tomorrow is gonna be the same as well as all week most probably

Not talking about you numty boy was talking about Neal lol, but glad to see you doing some graft for a change :) good bits on the 855?

T5frankie
Monday 11th February 2013, 19:22
Not talking about you numty boy was talking about Neal lol, but glad to see you doing some graft for a change :) good bits on the 855?

lol yes mate, i aint leaving anyfink on the s70 lol