PDA

View Full Version : Whirring sound from engine bay.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 10th February 2013, 16:15
I noticed a slight whirring coming from engine bay earlier when engine was running. Similar to what a secondary air pump sounds like on some cars.

I turned engine off and it continued until I took the key out.

Only concern is I haven't noticed it before - is it normal?

Thanks

M-R-P
Sunday 10th February 2013, 16:29
Either injector solenoids or rad fan mate, if its the fan, that's usually a sign of something wrong like a big boost leak.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 10th February 2013, 16:52
Well I could hear it from inside the car. Got out just now and it's coming from behind the drivers headlight unit. Like a buzzing/whirring but I'm almost certain it's not the main rad fan...

Cheers

M-R-P
Sunday 10th February 2013, 16:57
The only thing behind the drivers headlight is the washer pump...?

claymore
Sunday 10th February 2013, 17:12
Could be the supercharger :)

960kg
Sunday 10th February 2013, 17:19
Well I could hear it from inside the car. Got out just now and it's coming from behind the drivers headlight unit. Like a buzzing/whirring but I'm almost certain it's not the main rad fan...

Cheers

It`s the headlamp up and down adjuster motor malfunctioning. Move them where you have them adjusted to then disconnect the connector to it.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 10th February 2013, 21:13
Hmmm that sounds more like it.

Definitely around the headlamp and would explain why that one connector was disconnected when I bought the car maybe??

ShadeTek
Saturday 16th February 2013, 20:05
What you are hearing is the brake vacuum pump which sits at the rear of the headlight. It is to give extra vacuum to the brake servo. It sounds like you have a leak somewhere or I believe, a faulty non-return valve in the feed to the servo. It runs on for a minute after the engine is shut off. I have the same issue btw. I am not 100% what is causing it yet.

v70tom
Sunday 17th February 2013, 08:53
Are you one of the lucky people which have a headlight wiper?
May try to disconnect the unit.
I had it on mine and after disconnecting the head light wiper it stopt.
One plug. Disconnected and noise stopt. As I don't need them anyway I am not bothered.
If you need help which one i can post a pic, but not sure if yours looks the same.