PDA

View Full Version : V70 D5 Alternator

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 7th February 2013, 15:35
I have a whine coming from under the bonnet. I'm reasonably sure that it is coming from the alternator bearings, which after 222,000 miles I can accept!

Does anyone have any experience replacing bearings in Volvo alternators? Working for an engineering company I can get almost any bearing relatively easily. I haven't had a chance to have a close look at the alternator on my D5, so I was wondering if alternators on these cars had gone the way of most modern components (ie: when it's dead, bin it), or if they are actually servicable. Are there refurb kits out there? Seeing as I intend to have it apart I might as well do the brushes and regulator if I can.

There's also an exhaust blowing noise.... from the expensive end. Yay, more money.

silverhorse
Thursday 7th February 2013, 16:15
Would it not be worth just getting a recon one instead of all the possible nightmares that may (probably will) come with a strip down and repair? Don't know about prices, but I am thinking of the aggro factor...........
With a recon you will get a proper job (not saying you wouldn't do one!!) and a warranty.

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 7th February 2013, 16:26
I was thinking of having a recon ready to buy if necessary. The whole point of running this car was that I was bored of not being able to get hands on with my company car. I like to fiddle...

TJ101
Thursday 7th February 2013, 21:42
Most of the time, its the alt pulley bearing.. common failure ??