PDA

View Full Version : C70 2 x large holes in rear behind seats

thad1
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 20:32
I discovered 2 large holes in the rear of the C70 behind the rear seats the other day!

Apparently there was a 10 inch sub upgrade option for the C70, anyway has anyone mounted a pair of subs in there?

If you did what size are they and does it improve the low end bass?

Basically is it worth the upgrade, I have a 300WRMS amp to drive them if needed!

Your thoughts please!!!??

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 20:51
Something I've always wanted to do but just never got around to doing it. It is on the list. The standard amp - which is hidden behind the boot liner on the nearside is probably a bit small - 4 x100 alpine. I dare say it wouldn't be difficult to swap it for something a bit beefier.

I also wanted to put in 2 more mids in the rear quarter panels - as found on convertibles.

There is tonnes of scope to really beef it up. DO IT!!

stribo
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 20:57
Where exactly are these holes?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 21:01
There are behind the rear seats - if you take the liner from the far end of the boot you'd find them. they are covered with a thin layer of foam.

thad1
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 21:02
Only in the C70, if you get in the boot and remove the boot carpet on the back of the rear seats you will see the holes, I think they are 10inch!

stribo
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 21:04
I'll have to have a look and see if mine has the subs, it does have good bass, I put it down to the dynaudio speakers.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 21:07
you'd have already spotted them.

thad1
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 21:14
To be honest the Dynaudio are very good a bass considering their size!

I have a Pioneer headunit with various high/low pass filters etc so filter the 50hz bass out so as to not kill the bass speakers lol

I fancy running all the speakers on a higher filter and just using a paid of 10 inch subs for the bass!

stribo
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 21:18
Just checked, and I just have the holes. :( Still really happy with the sound system though. :)

partsforvolvos.com
Thursday 7th February 2013, 12:19
i thought if you have the dolby surround with middle dash speaker, they are factory fitted? anybody above got the middle speaker, but no subs?

V70 Graham
Thursday 7th February 2013, 12:25
i thought if you have the dolby surround with middle dash speaker, they are factory fitted? anybody above got the middle speaker, but no subs?

I think stribo has the middle dash speaker.

Brett855tdi
Thursday 7th February 2013, 13:32
I've got the Dolby in mine but the front door sub has died, they are ok for factory but nothing close to the sort of stuff I'm used to having...
I've heard the rear lower holes are for 9inch subs in the convertible.
With being a bit of a bass junky I'm looking at taking the rear seats out and having 2x 8" lanzars (cheap) and then the same lower in the seat holes or maybe 10.... Leaving the standard amp in but using a bigger amp to run the 6 more powerful subs.... But its all company car reliant ATM, the 4 x sub upgrades a defo tho

thad1
Thursday 7th February 2013, 13:52
I think my coupe has 2 x 9 inch in the rear shelf, I am not sure whats in the doors though, i thought there were 9 inch subs in the bottom on the front doors!
I still think the bass is good, it's only when you turn it up I find I have to dial the low bass out as the subs cant handle it. I think a pair of 10's in the back should solve the problem.
My headunit has got 3 sets of outputs for amps with one for subs, it's also got sub volume control and a low pass filter so I should be able to get it setup perfectly!

stribo
Thursday 7th February 2013, 14:06
I think stribo has the middle dash speaker.

Yep. :)

Brett855tdi
Thursday 7th February 2013, 14:33
I think my coupe has 2 x 9 inch in the rear shelf, I am not sure whats in the doors though, i thought there were 9 inch subs in the bottom on the front doors!
I still think the bass is good, it's only when you turn it up I find I have to dial the low bass out as the subs cant handle it. I think a pair of 10's in the back should solve the problem.
My headunit has got 3 sets of outputs for amps with one for subs, it's also got sub volume control and a low pass filter so I should be able to get it setup perfectly!

Head units perfect for amping them up then....
Ive just mesured the speakers and holes... all of them are 8" including the spare holes behind the seats
Theres many after market 8" sub for sale from £20 each on ebay that are all great upgrades.
From experience i think the apline amp can power some larger subs, as thad1 says the you have to turn the bass down as you can hear them flapping under too much wattage.
So i was thinking of replacing the speakers with some 300wrms lanzar units and see how it goes, adding another pair (maybe 10" with an mdf spacer ring) with a second amp

rikcougar
Thursday 7th February 2013, 15:04
I thought the GT`s had the subs fitted?

Brett855tdi
Thursday 7th February 2013, 15:13
It does yeah 4 x dynamic audio 8" subs

stribo
Thursday 7th February 2013, 15:42

Have you checked your boot for the subs behind the seats?

Brett855tdi
Thursday 7th February 2013, 15:44
Have you checked your boot for the subs behind the seats?

I'm guessing the 6 X 8" holes are in all p1 c70s (except convertibles)

thad1
Thursday 7th February 2013, 19:34
I think all C70's have the 10 speakers, so you have 4 8 inch subs (2 front and 2 back) some had the surround sound option but from what I understand the center speaker was the dolby upgrade. I don't think the 2 10 inch subs were offered as an option on the coupe but were on the ragtop because it had no rear subs!

I think that's right but i probably got it wrong ha ha

I was wondering if the holes are 8 inch behind the back seats then it would be easier to add 2 more dynaudio subs to beef the bass up, the only problem is we are not solving the problem of the low end bass or lack of!

I like the idea of using spacers to pull the subs back from the hole, this might be an easy way to shoehorn 2 10 inch in there, what do we think?

Surprised nobody has used these hole yet for something!

thad1
Thursday 7th February 2013, 19:35
I'm guessing the 6 X 8" holes are in all p1 c70s (except convertibles)

I think the answer is yes for the back as the convertible has no rear shelf to mount them in!

thad1
Thursday 7th February 2013, 19:37
I bought the headunit off ebay for £50, it has a 7 band equalizer, plays mp3 off a hard drive and will rig up to an ipod (if your into crapple products that is) its also got 3 5 volt pre outs as well! i think it's the DEH-7000UB without the bluetooth

jotter22
Thursday 7th February 2013, 19:46
Had to check the forum i was on...thought i had logged on to Saxo owners .com......... ;-)

Tony.

thad1
Thursday 7th February 2013, 22:14
ha ha ha v funny!

Sounds brilliant with the Dynaudio though!

Brett855tdi
Thursday 7th February 2013, 22:44
The convertibles had the same 8" s but moved to the seats I read through google, another pair of dynaudio speakers split off the back should work well, I think the amp will take it (ive broke a fare few lol) that's why I think 40 quid on some woofers that arnt made of paper is a good investment!