PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to get more go :D

stevmo
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 19:27
2003 '53' S60 2.0T 180bhp that is completely standard. Do seem to have a slight flat spot when accelerating around 3k mark which I assume is plugs so will be fitting irridium plugs. Also going to fit a pipercross panel filter. Its only done 73k and has had a replacement cat back system couple of years ago but just standard and back box is rotting quite badly (probably due to low mileage) so after speking through a friend to GW I will probably be getting one of his cat back systems and probably sports cat as well. Also plan on getting a Htec Elite remap as thats a friend of mines company so I know he'll do the job properly as well as getting before and after dyno print outs.

Are there any other things I can do without spending loads and without affecting the reliability or economy. Obviously being turbo charged theres the option for larger fmic but where can I get one that is a straight fit that doesnt cost a million pounds?

I will be fitting some poly bushes to sharpen the handling although I love the standard ride and handling - one of the best fwd chasis I have driven - and as its my daily drive dont want to make it uncomfortable and doesnt need massive brakes, just some brembo discs and pads (got AP Racing 4 pots for my mondeo)

attached are some pics of my S60 with the mods I have done so far - SMD LED interior and number plate lights, led sidelights, 6000k hids, new number plates, mcguard locking wheel bolts, varta heavy duty battery and I've had 4 wheel laser alignment, all wheels re-balanced (had stupid clip on wheel weights and one tyre wasnt sealed properly).
I've also run some engine cleaner through - BG244K - so now the engines nice and clean. Its loosened up a bit since I started driving it. only just passed its mot on emissions - natural idle CO % vol limit 0.300 and my car had 0.298. guessing thats just from low use - only did less than 3800 miles since last mot

silverhorse
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 19:38
How to get more go?

Sell that car and buy a T5!!

Kingsford G
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 21:00
How to get more go?

Sell that car and buy a T5!!

Yep,good answer.

PHIL V70R
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 21:45
i shall go with that...lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 22:03
There's a lot to be said for the 2.0t, it's only 300cc short of a T5 of the same age so with a 16t and a remap to suit, she could be a surprising motor. Don't forget, some tuners squeeze 400+bhp from the 2.0 in an evo.

Deffo polybush the wishbones and strut brace mate, makes the world of difference. You'll get a tiny bit more road noise but the feedback through the steering improves loads.

JamesT5
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 22:13
There's a lot to be said for the 2.0t, it's only 300cc short of a T5 of the same age so with a 16t and a remap to suit, she could be a surprising motor. Don't forget, some tuners squeeze 400+bhp from the 2.0 in an evo.

Deffo polybush the wishbones and strut brace mate, makes the world of difference. You'll get a tiny bit more road noise but the feedback through the steering improves loads.

So if they can get 400bhp from a 2.0T, why the hell are we only getting around 300bhp after a remap out of the 2.3 T5! Go figure.....

M-R-P
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 22:15
The yellow peril has 550+ bhp, Wobbly's car should get close to 400, It all depends on depth of pockets and how reliable you want the car.

240bhp from the 2.0 volvo lump should be pretty safe I would think.

V70 Graham
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 22:35
Looks like a good car, would be interesting to see exactly how far you can go with one of these, look forward to seeing what you decide to do.

stevmo
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 23:30
thanks. should see what people get out of the 30 year old cosworth YB engine - 2.0 DOHC 16V and get 800bhp. 1000+ from bored to 2.3 versions.

I want to retain reliability and deliberately went for the 2.0 to help keep fuel and insurance costs down, plus T5 is too predictable :P

Its in fantastic condition so makes one hell of a good base. one small scuff on front bumper and couple of tiny little marks on the paint. Gonna get the wheel refurbed thanks to couple of tiny kerb grazings and where the clip on wheel weights were.

silverhorse
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 23:41
deliberately went for the 2.0 to help keep fuel and insurance costs down,

Fair enough. But when you have done all your mods and told the insurance company about them:rolleyes: these 2 reasons will be blown out of the water.

plus T5 is too predictable :P

Controversial!!!

M-R-P
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 23:44
thanks. should see what people get out of the 30 year old cosworth YB engine - 2.0 DOHC 16V and get 800bhp. 1000+ from bored to 2.3 versions.

I want to retain reliability and deliberately went for the 2.0 to help keep fuel and insurance costs down, plus T5 is too predictable :P

Its in fantastic condition so makes one hell of a good base. one small scuff on front bumper and couple of tiny little marks on the paint. Gonna get the wheel refurbed thanks to couple of tiny kerb grazings and where the clip on wheel weights were.

I see you have silver rings around the dials on the speedo - that's a goooood thing. Means your DIM has been replaced. That's £750 you won't have to spend.

silverhorse
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 23:50
I see you have silver rings around the dials on the speedo - that's a goooood thing. Means your DIM has been replaced. That's £750 you won't have to spend.
Oh blimey. Don't mention DIMs to Martin...............:hidesbehi

M-R-P
Thursday 7th February 2013, 00:02
Oh blimey. Don't mention DIMs to Martin...............:hidesbehi
Don't know what you mean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_7ZrfqB3zs

stribo
Thursday 7th February 2013, 00:15

True, but you're forgetting the 4500 mile service intervals, and massive lag. The 1800cc BDT fitted to the RS200 could produce up to about 750 bhp, but wouldn't be usable on the road. As Jeremy Clarkson said in one of his videos (which you recently posted) if you want to make a fast car, start with a fast car in the first place.

silverhorse
Thursday 7th February 2013, 00:15
I bet that made you feel better!!

silverhorse
Thursday 7th February 2013, 00:16
if you want to make a fast car, start with a fast car in the first place.

Yep.

M-R-P
Thursday 7th February 2013, 00:23
Admittedly, tuning a 2.0 to 240bhp would still be slower than a T5 but fun?

smithy
Thursday 7th February 2013, 01:47
It's not all about bhp its torque you want too.and starting with a fast car in the first place is not always true take the 940 with 135 bhp I have 140 bhp now so power can be done on most engines .just be careful with what you do because I don't know how strong the internals are in that engine.

silverhorse
Thursday 7th February 2013, 08:47
take the 940 with 135 bhp I have 140 bhp now

An increase of 5 hp????

stevmo
Thursday 7th February 2013, 17:38
An increase of 5 hp????

I was gonna ask that..

As I say, this is my daily drive. I'm building a 4wd turbo mondeo v6 so just want a nice comfy sensible swede and I wanted low mileage which every T5 I saw for sale had alot of miles (budget was 2k, this was up at £2295 and I paid 2k - had 4 almost new cooper tyres, fsh, mot till nov, 72032 miles, quarter of a tank of petrol and §§§§§§ all wrong with it)
But as I am always going to be childish and never happy with standard power theres no reason not to make this a little quicker. Not going T5 baiting, just want a car to enjoy :) I'll be adding couple of other little things to this like a little device off ebay that gives me SD, USB, aux and bluetooth through the OE stereo, wind deflectors, volvo mud guards and some prancing moose stickers for the wings :D
Just gonna keep it simple and spend more money on the mondeo - attached is a pic of my mondeo in its n/a fwd form on track at ford fair (silverstone) which highlighted how cack EBC ultimax discs and red stuff pads are - warped and faded after 10 mins! So I got a set of AP Racing 4 pots for it :P oh and everything on it bar the blue stickers down the side and koni suspension were done by me

Santa
Thursday 7th February 2013, 17:50
I was gonna ask that..

As I say, this is my daily drive. I'm building a 4wd turbo mondeo v6 so just want a nice comfy sensible swede and I wanted low mileage which every T5 I saw for sale had alot of miles (budget was 2k, this was up at £2295 and I paid 2k - had 4 almost new cooper tyres, fsh, mot till nov, 72032 miles, quarter of a tank of petrol and §§§§§§ all wrong with it)
But as I am always going to be childish and never happy with standard power theres no reason not to make this a little quicker. Not going T5 baiting, just want a car to enjoy :) I'll be adding couple of other little things to this like a little device off ebay that gives me SD, USB, aux and bluetooth through the OE stereo, wind deflectors, volvo mud guards and some prancing moose stickers for the wings :D
Just gonna keep it simple and spend more money on the mondeo - attached is a pic of my mondeo in its n/a fwd form on track at ford fair (silverstone) which highlighted how cack EBC ultimax discs and red stuff pads are - warped and faded after 10 mins! So I got a set of AP Racing 4 pots for it :P oh and everything on it bar the blue stickers down the side and koni suspension were done by me

What was the device you connected to the stereo?

Yeah Smithy has at least 140bhp now.

silverhorse
Thursday 7th February 2013, 18:01
little device off ebay that gives me SD, USB, aux and bluetooth through the OE stereo,

What one you looking at as I want the same thing. I saw THIS (http://http://www.carputer-shop.co.uk/aux-input-kits-c-2/volvo-aux-in-bluetooth-adapter-p-48)

graemewelch
Thursday 7th February 2013, 18:25
if was me i be looking to go down the zetec turbo route. v6 turbo routes have been proved to be expensive unreliable and dont produce a great deal of power for the money and work you put im

stribo
Thursday 7th February 2013, 18:29
Or supercharge it, it's quite a common route to go down in the USA with the V6 Cougar. I know of one that was done over here, and produced 348 bhp.

stevmo
Thursday 7th February 2013, 18:31
noble dont have problems with turbo charging the duratec V6 ;) They do alot of turbo conversions in the states as they do the contour (US mondeo) V6 for drag racing

Plus I want to prove when done right they work well. What would be the point of buying a ST24 to take the V6 out and put the zetec in? - would need engine mounts, subframe, wiring loom etc from a zetec model.
The Duratec V6 is actually a very good base engine - all alloy construction and co-developed with mitsubishi and runs a 10:1 CR to start with (same as mitsubishi use in the galant VR4 - a twin turbo 2.5 V6)

graemewelch
Thursday 7th February 2013, 18:36
but wont you have to import most of the parts. i followed a v6 turbo build on meg. fred22 i beleve it was. he spent thousands, and as far as im aware never got it to run properly. buy a 850 itll be much easier and better. take a look at wobblydaves build.

smithy
Thursday 7th February 2013, 19:29
Ok my 940 has 142 bhp I was being conservative lol

stevmo
Thursday 7th February 2013, 21:25
but wont you have to import most of the parts. i followed a v6 turbo build on meg. fred22 i beleve it was. he spent thousands, and as far as im aware never got it to run properly. buy a 850 itll be much easier and better. take a look at wobblydaves build.

Its mostly importing yes and wont be cheap or quick but I have such a attachment to that car I'm not giving up on it. I'm going to get the body work sorted first (being a mondeo its made of rust) and get the car looking how I want it then sort suspension and braking to how I want it before looking at the power and 4wd system as I may decide to keep it fwd and work on a n/a tuning set up or a lower ressure turbo set up ($4000 incl. shipping and import duties to run at 8psi which they recon is good for 300+bhp on stock headers - I have MSDS headers but I only recon 270 tops as thats still 100 up on stock and with the weight reduction i'm doing should give better power to weight).
I do like the 850 but I think I'll stick with my S60 for daily and build the mondeo as I dont want to go ott on the mondeo as I may have to go to one car in the future and I would prefer to keep that (stupid sentimental reasons) or may put it in storage. Don't know exactly but I'm not getting rid of it ever :D

streech 2
Wednesday 27th February 2013, 00:34
Rica remap m8 I bought Cragmaz car off him think if u search his user name up it comes. . .great increases in both bhp and torque lol