PDA

View Full Version : R fails it's MOT retest- brake advice needed please.

foammanmark
Monday 4th February 2013, 10:43
Just had my R back for it's retest, and it's failed on the offside front brake being ineffective again. It's had a new caliper put on which should have got it through according to my indy. The guy who did the test says that he can't be sure without stripping it down, but he thinks its a faulty/blocked hose.

Off back to my indy this pm, and I need the car for trips later this week, so I need it sorting. Anyone got any tips or advice who's had similar issues to me please?

nobananas
Monday 4th February 2013, 13:52
Hoses can fail but it's normally more likely that they act as a one way valve and hold the brake on rather than prevent the fluid getting through under pressure. Where you present at the retest to see if the wheel in question actually locked up as regardless of the readings you won't get the brake to perform any better then that on a rolling road. Incidently, if you have a manual R with the viscous driveshaft you can insist that the vehicle is inertia meter tested rather then on the rolling road as 4wd's or vehicles fitted with an LSD shouldn't be tested on the rolling road.

stephenevans99
Monday 4th February 2013, 15:13
Incidently, if you have a manual R with the viscous driveshaft you can insist that the vehicle is inertia meter tested rather then on the rolling road as 4wd's or vehicles fitted with an LSD shouldn't be tested on the rolling road.

Incidently - I've got a Ferodo Decelerometer in my garage. Looks like an antique.

M-R-P
Monday 4th February 2013, 15:26
Incidently - I've got a Ferodo Decelerometer in my garage. Looks like an antique.

Wasn't he in lord of the rings? - big feet.

V70 Graham
Monday 4th February 2013, 15:59
Hoses from eBay Mark, £57 the set, braided too.

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 4th February 2013, 16:16
Hoses can fail but it's normally more likely that they act as a one way valve and hold the brake on rather than prevent the fluid getting through under pressure. Where you present at the retest to see if the wheel in question actually locked up as regardless of the readings you won't get the brake to perform any better then that on a rolling road. Incidently, if you have a manual R with the viscous driveshaft you can insist that the vehicle is inertia meter tested rather then on the rolling road as 4wd's or vehicles fitted with an LSD shouldn't be tested on the rolling road.

spot on advice

foammanmark
Monday 4th February 2013, 16:37

Thanks for the above. I was present at the retest and they guy doing the test basically showed me that on the rolling road, the offside brake was ineffective. The car is a 98 fwd manual R, and I have until Friday to get it through. The plan is to change both front hoses as the nearside one is an advisory due to deterioration anyway.

foammanmark
Monday 4th February 2013, 19:12
Hoses from eBay Mark, £57 the set, braided too.

These ones Graham?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodridge-Braided-Brake-Lines-Volvo-S70-V70-C70-16-98-/400392219494?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d393c6b66

V70 Graham
Monday 4th February 2013, 19:25
These ones Graham?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodridge-Braided-Brake-Lines-Volvo-S70-V70-C70-16-98-/400392219494?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d393c6b66

They are the ones mate, not sure how much hoses are from Volvo but these are a decent make and good quality.

foammanmark
Monday 4th February 2013, 19:36
They are the ones mate, not sure how much hoses are from Volvo but these are a decent make and good quality.

Standard aftermarket hoses fitted are £64. If I knew it was definitely the hose that's the issue, then I'd buy the braided ones and just ask the garage to fit them. I'm just worried that new hoses go on, and I still have an issue.

t5 pete
Monday 4th February 2013, 19:50
things to check
Look at all the brake line from the caliper to the abs unit check to see if there are any kinks or damage or where the copper pipe has been crushed if all fine remove the caliper and fit a bit of wood inbetween the pot and the other end of the caliper to act as a brake disc and to stop the pot fully coming out and get some one to press the brake to see weather the pot moves or not

Harvey
Monday 4th February 2013, 20:04
When the caliper was fitted didn't the garage do a fluid change at the same time to bleed the brakes,they would see fluid flow when they bleed the brakes.
What were the readings on the back as cars have a split system n/s/f to o/s/r and o/s/f to n/s/r were the reading ok on the back ?.
Very odd to say the least could be the ABS unit at fault ,or the hard line damaged as said before.

foammanmark
Monday 4th February 2013, 20:13
When the caliper was fitted didn't the garage do a fluid change at the same time to bleed the brakes,they would see fluid flow when they bleed the brakes.
What were the readings on the back as cars have a split system n/s/f to o/s/r and o/s/f to n/s/r were the reading ok on the back ?.
Very odd to say the least could be the ABS unit at fault ,or the hard line damaged as said before.

I don't think that they did a full fluid change TBH, and all except the offside front brake are fine, according to the MOT tester.

Nifton
Monday 4th February 2013, 20:53
Had the whole system been bled? Sounds very air lock like behaviour, if you've ruled out the caliper than it has to be lines anything else would affect the whole system surely?

foammanmark
Monday 4th February 2013, 21:00
Had the whole system been bled? Sounds very air lock like behaviour, if you've ruled out the caliper than it has to be lines anything else would affect the whole system surely?

I've had the car for 4 months, and never noticed anything amiss with the brakes. She goes for her MOT and fails on an ineffective front offside brake. Goes to a Volvo indy and has a fresh caliper fitted, and I'm told that was the problem. She refails her retest for the same issue, and that's where I am now.

LeeT5
Tuesday 5th February 2013, 03:08
I've had the car for 4 months, and never noticed anything amiss with the brakes. She goes for her MOT and fails on an ineffective front offside brake. Goes to a Volvo indy and has a fresh caliper fitted, and I'm told that was the problem. She refails her retest for the same issue, and that's where I am now.

Mate. You say the car is a FWD R?? If so, then it's perfectly ok on the rollers for brake testing. Its the S60R/V70R that is NOT mean't to be brake tested on rollers. The Dealers are supposed to use a Decelerometer on the road.

Anyway, regards your brakes, With a new caliper they should have bled the entire system not just bleed the side that has been replaced. I 100% guarantee you will have either: air in the brake lines or the brake master cylinder is sticking (rare but can happen). If you have the system completely bled and with the correct pressure bleeder then it should overcome the Master cylinder sticking.
make sure they bleed the clutch side of things too as it shares the same fluid. This will improve clutch pedal feel and brake pedal feel.

foammanmark
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 06:27
Mate. You say the car is a FWD R?? If so, then it's perfectly ok on the rollers for brake testing. Its the S60R/V70R that is NOT mean't to be brake tested on rollers. The Dealers are supposed to use a Decelerometer on the road.

Anyway, regards your brakes, With a new caliper they should have bled the entire system not just bleed the side that has been replaced. I 100% guarantee you will have either: air in the brake lines or the brake master cylinder is sticking (rare but can happen). If you have the system completely bled and with the correct pressure bleeder then it should overcome the Master cylinder sticking.
make sure they bleed the clutch side of things too as it shares the same fluid. This will improve clutch pedal feel and brake pedal feel.

Thanks for the above, and the car is a 98 fwd V70 R. I will have the hoses done as one is an advisory anyway, and make sure that she is bled allround. If she doesn't pass then, I will be back asking questions.

infinity
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 17:41
I think you need to speak to someone at Indy, and get an explanation? What was wrong with the old caliper?

kyboy
Thursday 7th February 2013, 23:10
ive had hoses collapse and give the symptoms of calliper seizure fitted HEL ones only £65 and loads better than goodridge!

foammanmark
Friday 8th February 2013, 17:56
I think you need to speak to someone at Indy, and get an explanation? What was wrong with the old caliper?

Very little wrong with the old caliper if you ask me, as the new brake hose has sorted the issue and my car has now passed it's MOT. The metal pipe to the master cylinder also needed replacing as the connection to the brake hose was totally seized.

V70 Graham
Friday 8th February 2013, 18:06
Glad to hear your all sorted with your MOT Mark