PDA

View Full Version : Wing Mirror 'Kerbside' Light

JamesT5
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:04
Just a quick one this really, does anyone know what bulb is needed for the kerbside light under the wing mirror? Also, how on earth are we supposed to change the lightbulb, seeing that it's enclosed in the wing mirror housing? I've had a look on Parts For Volvos Online and I couldn't see any bulbs under the mirrors and lighting category....

I've got one out on the wing mirror on the passengers side, which I noticed was out when I started playing with the yellow button on the key fob the other day. I also noticed a side light was out, this was 18 pence to fix and I also replaced the other bulb as well (I always replace bulbs in pairs unless it's in an emergency). What's odd though, the car gives us a message if a tail or front light is out but not a side light. Very odd!

Anyway, advice about the kerb lighting would be greatly appreciated. I'm just wondering if I can get some coloured bulbs to go in there, given they're not road lighting I should in theory be able to choose whatever colour I like. :D

Regards

James

stephenevans99
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:19
I replaced mine a few months back with LED 501s, the bulb holders are removed by tilting the mirror up and inwards which reveals a small tab on the holder, pressing the tab with a driver allows it to drop down out of the mirror housing.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/stephenevans99/Volvo%20S60%20D5%202004/DSC03120.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/stephenevans99/Volvo%20S60%20D5%202004/DSC03121.jpg

Making sure that the LED is in the correct way round before reinserting the bulb holder into the door mirror.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/stephenevans99/Volvo%20S60%20D5%202004/DSC03122.jpg

volvokid
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:20
You need to tilt the mirror and you will see the retaining clips that you prise with a screw driver and push it down, they are the same as your number plate bulbs

volvokid
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:21
Too slow

Harvey
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:31
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/98FFC40F-2F44-4702-AFD8-F46F41EF98A7-1133-0000014012BF648F_zps5a3afac7.jpg
Don't press the tab to hard as they will snap off ,new ones cost £40 inc vat as I found out.

JamesT5
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:39
Ok, thanks to everyone for the advice, especially stephenevans99 for the pictures. I thought the P2 models have an 'allergy' to Light Emitting Diodes and flash warning lights on the dashboard at the driver unless the blown bulbs are replaced with standard ones? Or, are the wing mirrors and number plate lights the exception?

Regards

James

M-R-P
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:44
Sidelights, mirrors and numberplate lights are all free from canbus issues :)

stephenevans99
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:45
Or, are the wing mirrors and number plate lights the exception?

Spot on....I replaced my front sidelights, puddle lamps & number plate lights with LED's and never had a problem.

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/stephenevans99/Volvo%20S60%20D5%202004/?action=view&current=MOV03130.mp4

volvokid
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:48
I fitted osram leds

JamesT5
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:49
Spot on....I replaced my front sidelights, puddle lamps & number plate lights with LED's and never had a problem.

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/stephenevans99/Volvo%20S60%20D5%202004/?action=view¤t=MOV03130.mp4

That looks mint, thanks for your help and I'll give that a go. Obviously I'll need white for the number plate lights and side lights but the wing mirror lights I could choose any colour I want. :D

JamesT5
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:51

Makes a change doesn't it! That's probably why the side lights aren't showing up as 'out' on the DIM, because they aren't actually linked to the same system as the other lights. The question is, why?

stephenevans99
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:51
Have you seen the 'logo' leds on eBay? Install them into your door cards so they shine the Volvo emblem onto the road as you open the door....waiting to see if anyone fits them.

silverhorse
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 22:49

Ooh, thats handy to know...............

M-R-P
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 22:54
Ooh, thats handy to know...............

Yep.

But I've just stumped-up a fiver for 4 load resistors for the little project I'll be starting soon ;)

silverhorse
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:10
Yep.

But I've just stumped-up a fiver for 4 load resistors for the little project I'll be starting soon ;)

Interesting............!
The sidelight, numberplate and mirrors won't need resistors will they?
I was thinking of LEDing tail/stop/turn lights a while back, but it was far more involved than I thought. Fitting all the resistors and still getting errors frightened me off:worried:

p fandango
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:17
Have you seen the 'logo' leds on eBay? Install them into your door cards so they shine the Volvo emblem onto the road as you open the door....waiting to see if anyone fits them.
i've got 2 sets, going to have a go at what you describe hopefully tomorrow. Just hoping its not too hard to find the right wire on the door latch that will turn them on when the doors open (& to find a permanent live)

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4079/img0179eu.jpg

M-R-P
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:18
Interesting............!
The sidelight, numberplate and mirrors won't need resistors will they?
I was thinking of LEDing tail/stop/turn lights a while back, but it was far more involved than I thought. Fitting all the resistors and still getting errors frightened me off:worried:

All the 501 wedge bulbs will be fine mate.
The rear lights will be more difficult as they connect directly to the board, meaning you'll need to do some soldering.

I've got the resistors for the front end lights. There will soon be HIDs and a lot of LEDs ;)

M-R-P
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:19
i've got 2 sets, going to have a go at what you describe hopefully tomorrow. Just hoping its not too hard to find the right wire on the door latch that will turn them on when the doors open (& to find a permanent live)

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4079/img0179eu.jpg
Go straight to the footwell lights mate, then they'll come on when you unlock the car.

p fandango
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:24
Go straight to the footwell lights mate, then they'll come on when you unlock the car.
i would, but had a look today & its a nightmare to get extra wires into the door. & as the door will be shut you won't see them anyway, i'm putting them into the door card where it raises up for the SIPS on the B-pillar

M-R-P
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:35
i would, but had a look today & its a nightmare to get extra wires into the door. & as the door will be shut you won't see them anyway, i'm putting them into the door card where it raises up for the SIPS on the B-pillar

Big girl!

Thought you were gonna put them in the mirrors?

Looks like I'll be doing another "how to" at some point ;)

p fandango
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:41
Thought you were gonna put them in the mirrors?
no they'll be too faint that far off the ground

M-R-P
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:45
no they'll be too faint that far off the ground

Even the 4th gen ones?

I'm doing something else for puddle illumination any way but now I'm thinking of an internal use for the projectors (and I don't mean up my bum lol)

p fandango
Monday 4th February 2013, 00:35
Even the 4th gen ones?
running the 1st & 4th generation ones side by side their no brighter. 4th's are alot smaller & definition of the logo better, you still wouldn't see it from the height of the mirrors. I've also got to try the 4th's wired on the car, trying them off the charger they overheated & started flashing (hoping its the compatibility of the power source & not a problem with the lights)

LeeT5
Monday 4th February 2013, 01:29
If you ask me, i think they look a bit gay! Great idea, don't get me wrong. However, if they did an R logo then i think i would be tempted. The Volvo logo just doesn't do it for me.

silverhorse
Monday 4th February 2013, 08:53
Looks like I'll be doing another "how to" at some point ;)

Please!! :wink:

JamesT5
Monday 4th February 2013, 09:15
Look what I've started by starting this thread. :D

JamesT5
Monday 4th February 2013, 09:21
All the 501 wedge bulbs will be fine mate.
The rear lights will be more difficult as they connect directly to the board, meaning you'll need to do some soldering.

I've got the resistors for the front end lights. There will soon be HIDs and a lot of LEDs ;)

I'm going to fit HID's but I'll get Canbus compatible ones. The only issue with fitting HID's is that we'll have to drill holes in the plastic dust cap behind the headlamp and then make sure it's all sealed up correctly. But sometimes the D2S bulbs stick out beyond the dust cap so therein lies an issue....

p fandango
Monday 4th February 2013, 09:27
I'm going to fit HID's but I'll get Canbus compatible ones. The only issue with fitting HID's is that we'll have to drill holes in the plastic dust cap behind the headlamp and then make sure it's all sealed up correctly. But sometimes the D2S bulbs stick out beyond the dust cap so therein lies an issue....
my 52plate S60 hasn't moaned about any of my HID's, yet my old mans 03plate S60 did. TBH we just binned the caps

M-R-P
Monday 4th February 2013, 09:34
I bought these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-Load-Resistor-Fix-LED-Bulb-Fast-Flash-Turn-Signal-Blink-Blinker-50W-6ohm-/190618673580?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160) to deal with the canbus issue. As for the caps - I'll deal with that when I fit them ;)

p fandango
Monday 4th February 2013, 09:36
I bought these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-Load-Resistor-Fix-LED-Bulb-Fast-Flash-Turn-Signal-Blink-Blinker-50W-6ohm-/190618673580?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160) to deal with the canbus issue
hmm Scotchlocks lol

M-R-P
Monday 4th February 2013, 09:38
hmm Scotchlocks lol

I may or may not use those, depending on time...;)

JamesT5
Monday 4th February 2013, 09:40
The problem is, if the light unit isn't sealed off you'll get water getting in to the headlight unit which equals an MOT failure.

M-R-P
Monday 4th February 2013, 09:41
The problem is, if the light unit isn't sealed off you'll get water getting in to the headlight unit which equals an MOT failure.

MOT advisory mate - I know that because it was one of my advisories a couple of weeks ago :D

JamesT5
Monday 4th February 2013, 09:55
MOT advisory mate - I know that because it was one of my advisories a couple of weeks ago :D

Just tell them it's a special edition feature - "Water Discharge Headlights" LMAO! :D :hihi:

M-R-P
Monday 4th February 2013, 09:56
I was gonna use it to steam some kippers :D

silverhorse
Monday 4th February 2013, 10:41

James, why are you after HID,s? Are you only after the 'ice white' colour? or do you need them for increased light discharge? Hell of a job when you can just replace your standard incandescents with the chavvy 100w tinted blue Saxo boy bulbs. Done that on my other cars and they look the biz. Luckily I got bi-xenons on the Volvo as standard.

JamesT5
Monday 4th February 2013, 14:04
James, why are you after HID,s? Are you only after the 'ice white' colour? or do you need them for increased light discharge? Hell of a job when you can just replace your standard incandescents with the chavvy 100w tinted blue Saxo boy bulbs. Done that on my other cars and they look the biz. Luckily I got bi-xenons on the Volvo as standard.

No, HID's are better than any 'fake' HID bulbs, the light is more like Daylight and the bulbs last alot longer too. HID it is but that will be after I've sorted out some more urgent issues. :D

M-R-P
Monday 4th February 2013, 14:20
Just make sure you get the right colour...

4300k = yellow/white
5000k = white (like a bright light bulb)
6000k = white with a faint blue haze
8000k = borderline chav-blue
12000k = deep chav blue with a hint of purple.

There's also red, purple, green etc. for the determined plod-baiter.

JamesT5
Monday 4th February 2013, 15:13
Just make sure you get the right colour...

4300k = yellow/white
5000k = white (like a bright light bulb)
6000k = white with a faint blue haze
8000k = borderline chav-blue
12000k = deep chav blue with a hint of purple.

There's also red, purple, green etc. for the determined plod-baiter.

The higher the K rating, the less the light focus. So in other words, the darker colours produce less light focus so you get a poorer 'range', but the whiter colours like 6000K and 5000K give an optimum light output with a hint of colour.

I've seen kits that are 30,000K, so you'll definitely get pulled! :cop: :D

silverhorse
Monday 4th February 2013, 16:39
after I've sorted out some more urgent issues. :D

I was thinking that you had bigger fish to fry at the mo!!!

p fandango
Monday 4th February 2013, 18:29
still got to find the right wires

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3520/img0378hw.jpg

stephenevans99
Monday 4th February 2013, 18:33
Quite like the look of that Pedro.....is there plenty of room where you've mounted the LED unit or was it a squeeze?

p fandango
Monday 4th February 2013, 18:36
Quite like the look of that Pedro.....is there plenty of room where you've mounted the LED unit or was it a squeeze?
thanks. Theirs loads of room, the inner metal skin just goes straight up so you've got the whole thickness of the door card

JamesT5
Monday 4th February 2013, 18:41
How did you actually wire them up, how did you join the wires together?

volvokid
Monday 4th February 2013, 18:42
I didn't like the idea of this, but it looks cool.

M-R-P
Monday 4th February 2013, 18:43
Not bad that :)

I have other plans for when I get round to getting some ;)

p fandango
Monday 4th February 2013, 18:46
How did you actually wire them up, how did you join the wires together?
at the minute its wired to a cigeratte lighter plug, couldn't find the right ones (but once i do i shall post it up)

stephenevans99
Monday 4th February 2013, 18:49
Couldn't the wiring simply pass through with the door loom and then joined into the footwell lights? - scotchlocks optional...lol

p fandango
Monday 4th February 2013, 18:52
Couldn't the wiring simply pass through with the door loom and then joined into the footwell lights? - scotchlocks optional...lol
the factory wirings on a plug & socket on the doors so no gaps to get the extra wires thru, there is space to drill a couple of holes but the door would have to come off to get the drill in (& their'll be no Scotchlocks lol)

M-R-P
Monday 4th February 2013, 18:54
The rubber casing comes off the plug. You could feed the wires through there and pull it through into the footwell with a draw-wire. :D

p fandango
Monday 4th February 2013, 19:00
The rubber casing comes off the plug. You could feed the wires through there and pull it through into the footwell with a draw-wire. :D
theirs no holes on the door side of the rubber, thats got the plug & socket on

stephenevans99
Monday 4th February 2013, 19:02
There maybe a way courtesy of LeeT5's thread where he fitted his boost gauge...take a look.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?43376-Fitting-an-IPD-boost-guage-and-door-pod-%28P2%29&highlight=boost+gauge+door+pod

p fandango
Monday 4th February 2013, 19:08
There maybe a way courtesy of LeeT5's thread where he fitted his boost gauge...take a look.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?43376-Fitting-an-IPD-boost-guage-and-door-pod-%28P2%29&highlight=boost+gauge+door+pod
thats tomorrows job then :)

LeeT5
Tuesday 5th February 2013, 03:58

Word of warning. The so called, 100w bulbs are a load of crap! The way they get the bulb to be brighter is by reducing the size of the filament. This makes it burn hotter and thus produce more light. Downside is, they last 5 minutes.

Been there , done that and got the crappy t shirt. You can't beat HID conversion kits with any Halogen bulb no matter what the manufacturer claims.

LeeT5
Tuesday 5th February 2013, 04:03
the factory wirings on a plug & socket on the doors so no gaps to get the extra wires thru, there is space to drill a couple of holes but the door would have to come off to get the drill in (& their'll be no Scotchlocks lol)

I managed to drill holes in my door plug without removing the door when i installed my Boost gauge. Was fairly straight forward enough.................(oh yeah, you found my thread) :wink:

p fandango
Tuesday 5th February 2013, 05:58
I managed to drill holes in my door plug without removing the door when i installed my Boost gauge. Was fairly straight forward enough.................(oh yeah, you found my thread) :wink:
not sure why but i couldn't figure out how the door stay came undone (must of been half asleep), hopefully be giving your way a try later. Thanks

LeeT5
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 03:18
not sure why but i couldn't figure out how the door stay came undone (must of been half asleep), hopefully be giving your way a try later. Thanks

Thats coz you is a bit fick blud! :hidesbehi:wink:

p fandango
Wednesday 6th February 2013, 06:54
Thats coz you is a bit fick blud! :hidesbehi:wink:
Certain had a blonde moment as I couldn't see the bolt holding at all lol

p fandango
Thursday 7th February 2013, 06:59
finished off the wiring on the passenger side light yesterday, now comes on with the footwell lights. So thought i'd go into a bit more detail

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/7558/img0381sm.jpg
to get a bigger area i mounted the light on the highest part of the door card (ie at the end where it raises to clear the SIPs). This does make it a bit far away to see where your stepping but i can always add another normal light halfway down the door

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/2216/img0382mh.jpg
from inside the door, loads of clearance all the way along the bottom edge

http://imageshack.us/a/img687/3327/img0383lm.jpg
this is the plug for the factory footwell light. The white wire is positive switched so i just connected another for it to go into the door. Following Lee's guide (thank you) i drilled the door plug/socket & fed the wire into the door

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/9130/img0384xp.jpg
the yellow wire is the one i added thru the door. As it was positive switched i simply earthed the negative of the light to a screw on the door, this does cause flickering sometimes when opening (guess the door isn't intentionally earthed to the body) & when i have more time might look for a proper earth wire within the door

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/2806/img0386f.jpg
:)

silverhorse
Thursday 7th February 2013, 08:57
Now that, I like!!
Personally I would not worry about it not being high enough for you to see when you get out. How many times have you ever stepped out of your car and fallen down a hole because of a lack of puddle lighting?
It looks really good for what it is, which is a personalised mod that you are pleased with.
I like!!!

JamesT5
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 16:30
Just tried fitting some 501 LED'd for my puddle lights and when I pushedthe yellow button they just flashed on and then went off straight away. So, I turned the bulbs around and nothing happened at all, then I swapped the bulb for another LED incase the one I was trying was faulty and the same happened again. I put the original Volvo bulb in and hey presto, it came on. So, then I tried the LED's again and no luck.

I wonder if the LED's I'm putting in are unsuitable. The ones I brought were these........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271089570365?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 16:32
put them on a direct feed from the car battery , to each contact on the bulb and see if they light up ok. - try both options on the wires as led's only light up one way.
if they dont work from the battery, they are efective or blew when you plugged them in.

JamesT5
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 16:51
put them on a direct feed from the car battery , to each contact on the bulb and see if they light up ok. - try both options on the wires as led's only light up one way.
if they dont work from the battery, they are efective or blew when you plugged them in.

Thanks. I fitted 2 identicle ones to the front sidelights and they worked, although to be honest my 18 pence ring sidelight bulbs were brighter! I think maybe I should get some LED's with multiple diodes on them as they will probably give out more light.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 16:56
Get single chip cree led bulbs mate, they're super bright.

stribo
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 17:03
I used these for the number plate lights, and will be using them for the puddle lights as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360550129230?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

JamesT5
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 17:04
Get single chip cree led bulbs mate, they're super bright.

Where's the best place for those?

M-R-P
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 17:08
Have a look on my "cheap ebay light conversions" thread, there's an ebay link to the ones I used.

jdavis
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 20:36
That volvo light looks quite smart. To be honest i thought they would look a bit chav but looks good. Have you got a link for them?

stribo
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 21:09
That volvo light looks quite smart. To be honest i thought they would look a bit chav but looks good. Have you got a link for them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Latest-LED-4th-gen-Car-door-Step-laser-projector-light-Multi-logo-Mix-Order-/330873193066?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D11%26meid%3D5572689927068752437%26pid%3D100 011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D261166938097%26

Harvey
Wednesday 13th February 2013, 21:18
These are the ones I have in front markers,puddle lights,number plates.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S60-01-OSRAM-5w-W5W-LED-SIDELIGHT-BULBS-4000K-WARM-WHITE-NEW-/310573318693?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item484f9cc225

LeeT5
Saturday 16th February 2013, 00:23
I used these for the number plate lights, and will be using them for the puddle lights as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360550129230?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Funny. I bought the very same bulbs and they are in my rear number plate lights and puddle lights. They are very distinctive.

LeeT5
Saturday 16th February 2013, 00:24
These are the ones I have in front markers,puddle lights,number plates.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S60-01-OSRAM-5w-W5W-LED-SIDELIGHT-BULBS-4000K-WARM-WHITE-NEW-/310573318693?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item484f9cc225

£17!! What a rip off.