PDA

View Full Version : PCV change now a Boost Leak.

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 17:17
Well blackies Pcv system was shot, so i carried out a PCV change, Now i havent any boost, Confuesd.

Im runing my hlm map, and with the vac line disconnected to the wastegate she wont boost any more than 14-15psi!

Ive Checked the Vac line to the end of the inlet, thats fine, i have vac at the other end (ptc nipple)
Sprayed brake cleaner around the vac tree still nothing
Changed Maf this did improve things slightly
Also fitted a blaking plate to the turbo, still no boost.
Manifold seems to be sitting correctly
Changed all the boost hoses to the ones from the red one still no improvement
bcs and mbc fine, and only boosts 12 psi with these fitted.

Getting completly fed up with Volvo ownership tbh, any ideas?

oblark
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 17:32
Have you looked at the wastegate ?? it be stuck slightly open.

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 17:40
Have you looked at the wastegate ?? it be stuck slightly open.

Car boosted fine before the pcv change, doesnt boost now perhaps only 5 psi with standard ecu and bcs connected. Wastegate moves freely the cat is rattlling perhaps its blocking exhaust flow?? not sure didnt effect the car before the pcv change.

Kingsford G
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:02
Is the pipe and connection from pcv to intake good all the way.

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:03
Is the pipe and connection from pcv to intake good all the way.

I have vacum though it so would think its all good. ta tho

smithy
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:09
Car boosted fine before the pcv change, doesnt boost now perhaps only 5 psi with standard ecu and bcs connected. Wastegate moves freely the cat is rattlling perhaps its blocking exhaust flow?? not sure didnt effect the car before the pcv change.

How have you got the mbc fitted mate because if its straight to the turbo then your actuator will let it boost to whatever you want.sounds like the cat has blocked the exhaust put your had over the back of the exhaust and see how much pressure you have or put the red exhaust on the black one.

Harvey
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:09
One of the intercooler hoses gone soft or delaminated and blocks the airflow on boost.
Did you remove the Throttle body when you did the pcv box.

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:12
One of the intercooler hoses gone soft or delaminated and blocks the airflow on boost.
Did you remove the Throttle body when you did the pcv box.

No bud, and ive also tried my silicone rip kit on it and it hasnt made any difference. tried both intake manifolds on it, the original one and my ported one, no diff. :(

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:14
How have you got the mbc fitted mate because if its straight to the turbo then your actuator will let it boost to whatever you want.sounds like the cat has blocked the exhaust put your had over the back of the exhaust and see how much pressure you have or put the red exhaust on the black one.

Possibly mate, but it was boosting fine before the change. If i change the exhaust, i will have to change the turbo aswell. :( didnt want to go through all that again so soon. (18t with 3" angle)

Kingsford G
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:15
Gotta b the cat.Anything can go wrong anytime on cars,dont loose yr faith in her.

smithy
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:16
Possibly mate, but it was boosting fine before the change. If i change the exhaust, i will have to change the turbo aswell. :( didnt want to go through all that again so soon. (18t with 3" angle)

Have you got the mbc in line with the bcs

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:23
Have you got the mbc in line with the bcs

not runing anything bud, ive got the bcs plugged in and the line from the compressor housing going to the red port on the bcs, the yellow line from bcs to actuator ive disconnected so the wastegate is shut all the time.

Mbc isnt in use make no difference

smithy
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:26
not runing anything bud, ive got the bcs plugged in and the line from the compressor housing going to the red port on the bcs, the yellow line from bcs to actuator ive disconnected so the wastegate is shut all the time.

Mbc isnt in use make no difference

Wastgate will open under pressure if its got a weak spring .take all pipes off bcs and run the mbc from actuator to turbo only and see what happens at the same time tighten the actuator too by a couple of turns .what is the car boosting too at mo.

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:33
Wastgate will open under pressure if its got a weak spring .take all pipes off bcs and run the mbc from actuator to turbo only and see what happens at the same time tighten the actuator too by a couple of turns .what is the car boosting too at mo.

Have tried that with my forge unos, Makes no difference bud. Havent tried turning the rod on the wastgate arm tho. Really dont think it will help.
May give that ago next.

Must be a large boost leak if a cant run any more than 14 psi? cant belive i cant hear it. Turbo has a little play in the wheel but not that much really

smithy
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:40
Have tried that with my forge unos, Makes no difference bud. Havent tried turning the rod on the wastgate arm tho. Really dont think it will help.
May give that ago next.

Must be a large boost leak if a cant run any more than 14 psi? cant belive i cant hear it. Turbo has a little play in the wheel but not that much really

What was the boosting before the PVC change

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:44
half way into the white zone, i didnt have a gauge fitted then. :(

then after the change about 3mm into the white zone

smithy
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 18:47
half way into the white zone, i didnt have a gauge fitted then. :(

Half way into the white zone is stock boost witch is 11 psi I think but might be 9 psi .tighten the actuator mate sounds like is weak and then use the mbc like I said .or put the actuator off your 18t on it then see what happens but don't sound like a boost leak to me .just a silly question you have UNOs the right way round mate

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 19:47
Yes Bud, Compressor line to the bottom of unos, actuator to the side of unos, Cant see why doing a pcv tho would effect the actuator.thats not to say ur wrong just cant explain it.

smithy
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 21:37
Yes Bud, Compressor line to the bottom of unos, actuator to the side of unos, Cant see why doing a pcv tho would effect the actuator.thats not to say ur wrong just cant explain it.

Yes I know but you said that you are getting 14 to 15 psi now where before it was standard boost just think its the actuator

theflyingbrick
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 22:38
just my pennys worth mate but ignore the fact it could be anything to do with pcv change!! ive had loads of situations where things break after ive done something of no particular connection its just sods law mate,i once changed the ballist resistor on an old ford and when i started it up i discovered the head gasket was blown!!!! one thing i do know about cars is to never try and work out why somethings not working but to find out how to fix it,sometimes you can cloud your assessment by thinking why is this not working when all i done was this lol.

and you could always swap the housings rather than the complete turbo,i assume the zorst iis going on anyways so might be worth a go..or failing that ive got a perfectly good downpipe i took off mine sitting in the garden doing nowt,sort the postage or collect it and its yours foc of course ;)

M-R-P
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 22:40
Wise words mate :D

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:11
Yes I know but you said that you are getting 14 to 15 psi now where before it was standard boost just think its the actuator

i was runing a standard map, and was boost 1/4 into the white, after pcv it boosted 3mm into the white,

Chnaged the map to hlm and it boosted halfway into the white.

Disconnected the vac line to actuator and it boosted a little more.

Kingsford G
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:22
Just stick yr 18t and down pipe to it mate.

smithy
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:25
i was runing a standard map, and was boost 1/4 into the white, after pcv it boosted 3mm into the white,

Chnaged the map to hlm and it boosted halfway into the white.

Disconnected the vac line to actuator and it boosted a little more.

I understand mate but because you took the pipe off the actuator then the only thing that will open the wastgate is pressure.and if you actuator is loose or weak the pressure from the turbo will open the wastgate no probs.as said before tighten the actuator arm and refit the mbc and see what happens and if still no good put your 18t actuator on and set that.just my penny's worth thats all .

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:29
I understand mate but because you took the pipe off the actuator then the only thing that will open the wastgate is pressure.and if you actuator is loose or weak the pressure from the turbo will open the wastgate no probs.as said before tighten the actuator arm and refit the mbc and see what happens and if still no good put your 18t actuator on and set that.just my penny's worth thats all .

Thanks buddy , im going to decat the rattling cat, Fit my 3" stainless exhaust, and as you suggested tighten the arm. See where we go from there. :)

smithy
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:32
Thanks buddy , im going to decat the rattling cat, Fit my 3" stainless exhaust, and as you suggested tighten the arm. See where we go from there. :)

Why you are there fit the turbo and have some proper fun and now more probs mate.

merc85
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 23:35
Why you are there fit the turbo and have some proper fun and now more probs mate.

?? lol im not going to fit the 18t yet , i will do that when the weather has warmed up and change the whole engine and box and turbo all in one hit.

smithy
Monday 4th February 2013, 00:09
?? lol im not going to fit the 18t yet , i will do that when the weather has warmed up and change the whole engine and box and turbo all in one hit.

Just change the actuator mate and see what happens or just tighten the arm even easier .thats what I would do .but that's me lol