PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat housing gasket?

TenaciousC
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 15:35
Hi All,

Just taken my thermostat housing off to allow room to change alternator. All back together now, but thermostat housing leaking.

I was surprised there wasn't any kind of gaskett between the metal parts of the housing, other than the rubber thermostat seal which sits flush with the lower housing. Should there be a seperate gaskett to seal the housings?

Cheers
Chris

stribo
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 16:07
Not that I'm aware of, my T5 just has the rubber o ring. What engine do you have?

TenaciousC
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 17:00
Not that I'm aware of, my T5 just has the rubber o ring. What engine do you have?

2.3t5 . I've redone it with some instant gasket. Hopefully that should seal it.

Kingsford G
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 17:11
Normally the rubber gasket is groved 1 to fit the stat in so it seals from the top and bottom (both sides) I had 2 stats delivered to me 1 was as I just says another one just an O ring to go under the stat but nothing for the top so I went for the original fit one.Just get a new stat £5-6 from euros tha`ll fit in nicely.Don`t forget to give the housing a good clean tho.It will be ok with instant gasket to as long as u had cleaned the housing well.

TenaciousC
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 17:56
Normally the rubber gasket is groved 1 to fit the stat in so it seals from the top and bottom (both sides) I had 2 stats delivered to me 1 was as I just says another one just an O ring to go under the stat but nothing for the top so I went for the original fit one.Just get a new stat £5-6 from euros tha`ll fit in nicely.Don`t forget to give the housing a good clean tho.It will be ok with instant gasket to as long as u had cleaned the housing well.

Instant gasket seems to have done the trick. Thanks for your help. :-)

C