PDA

View Full Version : Which Classic V70R and why

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 13:02
I'm contemplating going forwards? and getting another Classic V70R, but this time I may consider the AWD version, since I now have an XC70 and love the extra height (it may only be by a few inches, but every inch counts...........apparently!!).

So, which phase of Classic V70R would you chose, and why

Blackdog
Thursday 31st January 2013, 13:34
Phase 2

Why? Because mines for sale!

T5frankie
Thursday 31st January 2013, 13:35
It's the only manual fwd model,

Phase 1 every time

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 14:18
Phase 2

Why? Because mines for sale!

Any details chap?

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 14:20
Read somewhere that you cannot get genuine rear discs for the Phase 3...........might become an issue?

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 14:22
It's the only manual fwd model,

Only ever had auto V70's so not really a priority for a manual....

volvokid
Thursday 31st January 2013, 14:35
Get your finger out and go buy one.

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 15:57
Get your finger out and go buy one.

Sell me yours then....I know it's a bit tatty, so obviously you would have to give it to me for peanuts........dry roasted or salted lol.....

T5frankie
Thursday 31st January 2013, 16:11
Any details chap?

his is in the for ale section £1895

T5frankie
Thursday 31st January 2013, 16:12
Only ever had auto V70's so not really a priority for a manual....

but the auto R's are just T5's in drag

volvokid
Thursday 31st January 2013, 17:27
but the auto R's are just T5's in drag

You admitted yourself you like them

volvokid
Thursday 31st January 2013, 17:29
Sell me yours then....I know it's a bit tatty, so obviously you would have to give it to me for peanuts........dry roasted or salted lol.....
Lol I wish I could bring myself to sell it but it would be one thing I would definitely regret.

T5frankie
Thursday 31st January 2013, 17:31
You admitted yourself you like them

i never said i didnt still just a t5 though with kit and suspension changes

volvokid
Thursday 31st January 2013, 17:40
Same as a manual then with different kit :-P

T5frankie
Thursday 31st January 2013, 17:44
Same as a manual then with different kit :-P

lol yeah

volvokid
Thursday 31st January 2013, 17:46
I do agree though, the auto r is stupid Volvo should never have done that

T5frankie
Thursday 31st January 2013, 17:46

most of them are autos though, well the ones for sale are, the manual oneson ebay never reach the end of the auction cos someone makes them attractive offers

MoleT-5R
Thursday 31st January 2013, 20:18

I disagree, best snowmobile Volvo ever made V70R AWD phase 3 1999, just a shame that they said the gearbox was filled for life, if they had given the atf a service life, then may be so many would not have been broken for parts. My one is not going to be broken, what ever it costs

LiamT4
Thursday 31st January 2013, 20:37
I disagree, best snowmobile Volvo ever made V70R AWD phase 3 1999, just a shame that they said the gearbox was filled for life, if they had given the atf a service life, then may be so many would not have been broken for parts. My one is not going to be broken, what ever it costs

Its not just volvo that say that, its the same on my bmw.

MoleT-5R
Thursday 31st January 2013, 21:00
Its not just volvo that say that, its the same on my bmw.

and I bet you don't believe it, but then in hindsight, it will be easier to keep these cars on the road, now we know the truth and can care for these auto's in a way that will give the service life we would normally expect for these vehicles.

volvokid
Thursday 31st January 2013, 21:10

I'm glad you have that attitude . They are getting rare and let's be honest they ain't that old yet.

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:22

Strange that....why do you have one then??

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:25

If it is true and Volvo have stopped making rear vented discs for the p3, then what are you going to do when you need a disc set??

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:26
Lol I wish I could bring myself to sell it but it would be one thing I would definitely regret.

Do you use it on a regular basis? No, then sell it to me and I will!!

foammanmark
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:27
The only reason that I sold my phase 2 laser was the auto box, as I hated it. The awd was great for getting the power down, but I'm still glad I got my fwd manual R.

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:31
The only reason that I sold my phase 2 laser was the auto box, as I hated it. The awd was great for getting the power down, but I'm still glad I got my fwd manual R.

I did spot LeeT5's old car, and obviously it was bought by you, but........I still prefare to drive the autos than a manual gearbox. Between selling my Saffy, I had a diseasel VW with a manual 6 speed box.............drove me crackers up and down the gears............never again.........plus it was like sitting on a park bench........sooooooo uncomfy.......hence back to Volvo....

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:33
Looking at the poll results so far, looks like phase 1 V70R is in the lead......is this because of the manual gearbox option??

volvokid
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:34
Strange that....why do you have one then??

It is my dream car and still is really, I do think its stupid how Volvo made the auto no different power wise than a std T5. My head tells me to sell it but I would never get another one , one day if I win the lottery I will build it a glass cabinet to sit in lol

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:35
his is in the for ale section £1895

Going to look at this now.......thanks chap!

foammanmark
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:36
I did spot LeeT5's old car, and obviously it was bought by you, but........I still prefare to drive the autos than a manual gearbox. Between selling my Saffy, I had a diseasel VW with a manual 6 speed box.............drove me crackers up and down the gears............never again.........plus it was like sitting on a park bench........sooooooo uncomfy.......hence back to Volvo....

I bought the car as it was love at first sight, but I've never taken to autos, so I knew that might bother me. Each to their own on the box preference, but I hope you get another R soon. Have you seen the Nautic in Prenton on the bay. Looks a very nice car with only 123k.

volvokid
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:37
Get a auto p1 they have less to go wrong than the awd

foammanmark
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:39
Going to look at this now.......thanks chap!

This auto looks a real beaut:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181071900930?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 22:57
This auto looks a real beaut:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181071900930?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks for the link. Looks ok BUT I have never been a fan of the Nautic Blue, nor the Black. Would love another Saffron, but also a Lazy Blue or Red or Green. Silver just doesn't do it for me either, even though my current XC70 is...........................yep, Silver!!

Need to find it in the car park...and not just blend in with all the other drab colours out there!!

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 23:02
Get a auto p1 they have less to go wrong than the awd

Before I had my XC70, yep, I would agree to a FWD, BUT.......living at the bottom of a hill, and the after the winter of 2011 left me stranded on our estate (non Volvo at the time), then I think the AWD would be my choice.

To be honest, whatever comes my way as the best for my money...........

MisterC1501
Thursday 31st January 2013, 23:06
Can someone just refresh me on the differences between phases 1, 2 and 3. If I recall, Phase 1 had 2.3 non ME7, phase 2 had 2.3 ME7 and phase 3 had 2.4 ME7 with 19T and rear vented discs. 16T for auto and 18T for manual. Is this correct?

MoleT-5R
Friday 1st February 2013, 07:26
I'm glad you have that attitude . They are getting rare and let's be honest they ain't that old yet.

Yep and ours is in far to nice a condition not to keep, just going to take a bit of time to sort the transmission, so might not be seen out and about this year, but we'll see thats all down to cost and work

If it is true and Volvo have stopped making rear vented discs for the p3, then what are you going to do when you need a disc set??

Bound to be some after-market uprated discs out there

Looking at the poll results so far, looks like phase 1 V70R is in the lead......is this because of the manual gearbox option??

Think your right, most people want to change gear when they feel like it and not necessarily when the auto-box wants to, especially when driving swiftly, and economy is another factor here, I've never really got on with auto-box and don't feel 100% confident driving it fast ( except in the snow when the awd and auto-box work in prefect harmony allowing you to power-drift through the bends in total control with full confidence in car and driver abilities ) may be I need a dry weather auto driving lesson on a race track to give me some pointers, so my confidence with it improves at speed, but she does make for a loverly weekend car, and long journeys are always a pleasure ( expect the trip to the petrol pump....lol)

foammanmark
Friday 1st February 2013, 10:15
Thanks for the link. Looks ok BUT I have never been a fan of the Nautic Blue, nor the Black. Would love another Saffron, but also a Lazy Blue or Red or Green. Silver just doesn't do it for me either, even though my current XC70 is...........................yep, Silver!!

Need to find it in the car park...and not just blend in with all the other drab colours out there!!

LOL!! My R is Nautic Blue, and my C70 is Black, so there's no chance you'll be buying my cars then.

MisterC1501
Friday 1st February 2013, 12:09
LOL!! My R is Nautic Blue, and my C70 is Black, so there's no chance you'll be buying my cars then.

Yep...fraid not!!

foammanmark
Friday 1st February 2013, 12:16
Yep...fraid not!!

Not planning to sell or buy a car for 1-2 years now TBH.

MisterC1501
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 05:40
Well, if you are anything like me, I'm always having a look to see whats out there. If you had to replace any of your cars (for any reason) what would you replace them with............and why?

foammanmark
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 19:51
Well, if you are anything like me, I'm always having a look to see whats out there. If you had to replace any of your cars (for any reason) what would you replace them with............and why?

Same here- I always watch what's out there, but I've spent so much on getting the R right, and we love the C70, so I'm happy with the 2 cars. However, I would like a p2 V70 R as my next Volvo, but not for some time yet.

kfc
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 20:05
Well having had both, a V70R awd auto, and my current Beastie S70R. I have to vote for the P1 fwd manual that's bloody fantastic, that said I would like have a go in a manual awd R. But when I win the lotto I will have 2.5 P2 V70R, my current pipe dream. Good luck with the hunt bud.

MisterC1501
Friday 8th February 2013, 23:14
Looking at what cars are available, I have narrowed my search down to 2 cars........one Saffy and one Laser Blue. I'm tempted by the Saffy, but I had one in that colour for 7 years, so I would always be comparing another Saffy against my old one. A Lazy Blue one would possibly appeaze the wife more.........she hated the colour of my Saffy.........probably why I kept it soooooo long just to annoy her!!

mike k
Saturday 16th February 2013, 01:07
I have a awd manual, its ace realy awsome even rude in second and third, was going to sell it but i might strip it out and do some track days with it, theres not much point in having the interia because if i take the mrs and kids out in it it makes them feel sick apprantly i drive it like a loone, i didnt think so though just surfing the boost wave