PDA

View Full Version : Small knock just after start up while driving!

mikey32shaw
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 10:39
I have a 55 plate v70 and just after start up for about half a mile only there is a slight regular knock. It doesn't sound like the engine more to the passenger side wheel if anywhere :-/ it's like a quick vibration as if you had gone down a pot hole or something?

Does anyone know what it could be ?

Many thanks
Mike

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 10:45
Possibly CV joint. The gearbox is on that side tho, may be worth a tranny flush.
Check the bolt in the middle of the hub too but I doubt it'll be causing the sound you describe.

JimmyBurnWorld
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 12:43
I've had a knock coming from both sides at the front for almost as long as I've had the car. I had new wishbones, drop links, shocks and top mounts (both bearing and rubber) and track rod ends and I still get it. Most of the time it's the odd knock.
Sometimes it will clunk and grauch for a mile or so and then shut up. Uneven roads seem to set it off, then once it's settled down it can be days before I hear it again. Steering angle doesn't seem to have much of an effect on the noise and there is no regular grinding noise on full lock which I was always taught indicated CV trouble (I'm guessing the inner CV's would only react to suspension movement so these could be suspect).

Check your axle/ hub bolts are tight (accessible behind the alloy wheel cap without removing the wheel) there's numerous threads on here about them coming loose and giving rise to axle ping/ knocking.

I'm due a service soon, so after reading another thread a couple of months ago regarding CV joints, I was going to get the garage to give them the once over, and funnily enough as MRP mentioned, I was looking at getting a gearbox flush - after 220000 miles I think the old girl might appreciate it!