PDA

View Full Version : C70 Gearbox ...

st1t5
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 17:55
Hi ..

Does anybody know if all the Ph1 C70 manual gearboxes are the same ?

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 18:52
gear box depeneds on engine size not sure of all that came in the c70 and of course year pre me7 and me7

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 21:20
There are nominal differences in the length of the push rod connectors.

T5frankie
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 21:24
gear box depeneds on engine size not sure of all that came in the c70 and of course year pre me7 and me7

no it doesnt they will all fit, doesnt matter if its a 2.0 or a 2.3 or a 2.5, and an m56 will do you

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 22:16
is pre me7 cable speedo and me7 not abs? is there a 10v c70? yes all fit but have differences

st1t5
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 22:31
Thanks for the replies lads.

Would the T5 not have different ratio' s ? ...

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 22:33
t5 has an m56h so does the 2.0 and 2.5 20v varients there is a m56l in 10v cars ratios are different

p fandango
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 22:44
t5 has an m56h so does the 2.0 and 2.5 20v varients there is a m56l in 10v cars ratios are different
even the M56H comes with 4 different final drive ratios

st1t5
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 08:58
even the M56H comes with 4 different final drive ratios

Really, what way is there of knowing you are buying or being sold the box you need then ? ...

p fandango
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 09:11
Really, what way is there of knowing you are buying or being sold the box you need then ? ...
Theirs a white sticker on the underside of the gearbox casing, top right of that sticker is the final drive ratio. Problem being over the years they either fall over or become unreadable. Best thing to make sure you get the right one is check the model car it came off

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 09:17

There's also the LK...

:D

p fandango
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 09:59
There's also the LK...

:D
your LK's not as good as my LK lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 10:23
your LK's not as good as my LK lol

My LK is attached to a car with an MOT ;)

st1t5
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 14:00
Best thing to make sure you get the right one is check the model car it came off

Agreed, but i just want to make sure im not given any old C70 gearbox, some of these breakers wont care less what model it comes off and they will just tell me what i want to hear ...

Im just doing my homework as we are not sure yet if a gearbox is required. There is a noise coming inside the car from outside almost like a badly gone wheel bearing, all wheel bearings have been stripped and checked by Volvomax and all appear to be perfect, they are abit stumped and have warned me the noise may possibly be from the gearbox, they are going to renew the oil and put some molyslip in then we'll just have to see how it goes. I would'nt have thought a gearbox on these tanks would go at 140k ...

Thanks all.

stribo
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 15:04
Mine has the same problem, have they checked the support bearing for the o/s driveshaft?

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 15:07
Mine has the same problem, have they checked the support bearing for the o/s driveshaft?

Yeah, wot he said ^^^

The long driveshaft that runs under the engine to the O/S CV has a support bearing that sits in the middle and has little protection from the elements. Won't hurt to give it a good look-at.

st1t5
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 17:43
Yeah, wot he said ^^^

The long driveshaft that runs under the engine to the O/S CV has a support bearing that sits in the middle and has little protection from the elements. Won't hurt to give it a good look-at.

I never asked if they checked that as i did'nt even know there was one there !! ..

I just picked the car up and on the drive back im not convinced its the gearbox, it most definetly sounds like a bearing to me. The noise it present from approx 30mph then just gets louder after that, its there when driving in a straight line but when you flick the steering wheel to the left its suddenly gets much worse, flick it to the right and it calms down a wee bit, would that indicate an O/S bearing then ?? ...

nobananas
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 20:35
Stupid question but you have checked that your tyres aren't out of shape, we are getting a lot of faulty wheel bearings being diagnosed at work which turn out to be tyres that have uneven/lifting tread blocks on the inner edges, they give the exact same sound and symptoms as a knackered bearing. Regarding the gearboxes, another thing to look out for is that they changed from an external slave to a concentric one at some point and you can't fit an external slave to a concentric slave box (and vice versa) without some machine work.

st1t5
Thursday 31st January 2013, 11:06
Stupid question but you have checked that your tyres aren't out of shape, we are getting a lot of faulty wheel bearings being diagnosed at work which turn out to be tyres that have uneven/lifting tread blocks on the inner edges, they give the exact same sound and symptoms as a knackered bearing. Regarding the gearboxes, another thing to look out for is that they changed from an external slave to a concentric one at some point and you can't fit an external slave to a concentric slave box (and vice versa) without some machine work.

Cheers from that, I'll give the tyres a check over.