PDA

View Full Version : My R failed it's MOT today.............

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:04
Failed on a CV collar and most worryingly the offside front brake isn't working, so front brakes obviously 100% imbalanced as well.

Advisories: both headlights deteriorated, a brake hose deteriorated, sub frame bushes have slight play in them.

Now I've not noticed any pulling to one side under hard braking, which I thought I would have done, but she's off back to Readview again on Thursday to get the braking issue sorted and the CV collar. The headlights are being replaced soon anyway, and I'll just get the bits done as and when.

Still got the C70 to MOT in the next 2-3 weeks as well..............

smithy
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:24
It will be worth it mate nice car

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:26
It will be worth it mate nice car

Thanks, and that's how I'm looking at it. I knew she'd need work and hopefully I'm close to having her spot on, and then I can carry on with the all important mods.

BIG G
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:27
should have bought them down to our garage mark, would have sorted all that out!

iancho
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:28
Always horrible when you get a shock like that... Long term it's worth the the worry its giving you now. I know how soul destroying it can be i've had some awful surprises whilst owning mine :)

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:30
should have bought them down to our garage mark, would have sorted all that out!

Cheers for that Big G, but TBH, I'm not driving her more than the 3 miles to Readview if I only have one front brake. What I will say, is that let's see how the C70 does, and if there's any work needs doing, and I'm coming down to the West Midlands, then you can do it. A courtesy car would be required though please..

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:32
Always horrible when you get a shock like that... Long term it's worth the the worry its giving you now. I know how soul destroying it can be i've had some awful surprises whilst owning mine :)

Yes, to see **DANGEROUS** on your car's refusal notice is a bit alarming. Still, better to know cos I could have caused an accident.

BIG G
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:33
Cheers for that Big G, but TBH, I'm not driving her more than the 3 miles to Readview if I only have one front brake. What I will say, is that let's see how the C70 does, and if there's any work needs doing, and I'm coming down to the West Midlands, then you can do it. A courtesy car would be required though please..

courtesy car can be provided.

Jimmie
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:35
Bet you wish you still had your old one even if it was only for bits.

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:37
Bet you wish you still had your old one even if it was only for bits.

I take it you mean the T5 by mentioning bits. I also had the laser as well, and the D5...........

Jimmie
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:50
I take it you mean the T5 by mentioning bits. I also had the laser as well, and the D5...........
You said it i didn't.

V70 Graham
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:06
Sorry to hear that mate, just a thought but the braided brake lines on eBay run at about £57.00 for the set, I'd hate to think what just one would be from a main stealers, and if one has deteriorated, how long will the rest last ?

You already knew about the headlights, just think how she will look when all sorted.

merc85
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:13
Ive got spare calipers 2nd hand if you want, or i can sort you a price on some new recon ones inc hoses if needed.

If you get stuck give me a shout Bud.

Kingsford G
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:13
Just done retest on mine last week,also front brakes imbalance 36%,rears 30%efficiency,cv gaitor so fitted just pads to the front and all new brake disks+pard and shoes in the back,job done.U also have subframe bushes.Well,its a nice car and any car needs diff parts replaced at diff times and she`s deffo worth it.

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:14
Sorry to hear that mate, just a thought but the braided brake lines on eBay run at about £57.00 for the set, I'd hate to think what just one would be from a main stealers, and if one has deteriorated, how long will the rest last ?

You already knew about the headlights, just think how she will look when all sorted.

Cheers for that Graham. I think that when we know what the issue is for the brake not working, then that will make the decision about the brake lines etc. At the moment we're unsure for the exact reason behind the brake basically being non existent.

The headlights as you say, I knew that some of the reflective stuff had come off, as I wiped it off with my baby wipes!! New projectors will sort that.

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:18
Ive got spare calipers 2nd hand if you want, or i can sort you a price on some new recon ones inc hoses if needed.

If you get stuck give me a shout Bud.

Thanks Merc. Like I said in the other post, if the offside front brake was partially working, I wouldn't panic so much, but with no brake, I just want to get her to the closet Volvo indy. We don't know what the cause is yet either, but I will let you know when I know.

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:20
Just done retest on mine last week,also front brakes imbalance 36%,rears 30%efficiency,cv gaitor so fitted just pads to the front and all new brake disks+pard and shoes in the back,job done.U also have subframe bushes.Well,its a nice car and any car needs diff parts replaced at diff times and she`s deffo worth it.

Exactly, I'm not too upset at all cos she's 15 next week. Good job that I did all the bulbs, wipers and stuff that I did last week or else I would have a much longer list of failures.

Kingsford G
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:20
Cheers for that Graham. I think that when we know what the issue is for the brake not working, then that will make the decision about the brake lines etc. At the moment we're unsure for the exact reason behind the brake basically being non existent.

The headlights as you say, I knew that some of the reflective stuff had come off, as I wiped it off with my baby wipes!! New projectors will sort that.

Normally a seased calliper is the problem mate if so give merc85 a shout for a quote, he`s been good so far on discounts.

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:29
Normally a seased calliper is the problem mate if so give merc85 a shout for a quote, he`s been good so far on discounts.

I've had major issues with seized calipers on my old V70 T5 and my C70 T5, but they've always seized on rather than off.

Kingsford G
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:38
I've had major issues with seized calipers on my old V70 T5 and my C70 T5, but they've always seized on rather than off.

I have diff cally`s on the back for now till I recondition the original ones and having taken 1 apart I understand y they weren`t good.They don`t always seize on I had a few just week of seized off.Car mate,everything is possible.

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:44
I have diff cally`s on the back for now till I recondition the original ones and having taken 1 apart I understand y they weren`t good.They don`t always seize on I had a few just week of seized off.Car mate,everything is possible.

I hope that's what it is TBH. On mine it was bad corrosion on the pistons.

nosh
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:52
Failed on a CV collar and most worryingly the offside front brake isn't working, so front brakes obviously 100% imbalanced as well.

Advisories: both headlights deteriorated, a brake hose deteriorated, sub frame bushes have slight play in them.

Now I've not noticed any pulling to one side under hard braking, which I thought I would have done, but she's off back to Readview again on Thursday to get the braking issue sorted and the CV collar. The headlights are being replaced soon anyway, and I'll just get the bits done as and when.

sorry to hear about the R mate.. but it'l be worth it when its all done :)

JamesT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 19:56

If the brakes weren't working on the one side, I'm suprised you didn't end up shooting off the road each time you pressed the pedal!

foammanmark
Monday 28th January 2013, 20:02
If the brakes weren't working on the one side, I'm suprised you didn't end up shooting off the road each time you pressed the pedal!

There has been nothing that I've noticed to make me think only the nearside front brake was working. That's what made it more of a shock to me.

Kingsford G
Monday 28th January 2013, 22:11
There has been nothing that I've noticed to make me think only the nearside front brake was working. That's what made it more of a shock to me.

Thats probably the abs doing a good balancing.How sharp were the brakes anyway?

foammanmark
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 08:02
Thats probably the abs doing a good balancing.How sharp were the brakes anyway?

Pretty sharp I thought! I will have to be careful until I get used to having both working after the fix.

foammanmark
Thursday 31st January 2013, 18:35
The car is ready for the re-test after having a good used caliper fitted and the cv boot sorting. Pick her up in the morning and that's another £85.00 spent on her.

V70 Graham
Thursday 31st January 2013, 18:51
The car is ready for the re-test after having a good used caliper fitted and the cv boot sorting. Pick her up in the morning and that's another £85.00 spent on her.

Hopefully pass the test mate.....and you've got brakes now :smile:

foammanmark
Thursday 31st January 2013, 19:02
Hopefully pass the test mate.....and you've got brakes now :smile:

Should sail through now, and yes, I need to get used to having better braking. The advisories will be tackled in 2-3 months along with a new accelerator cable and ignition switch.