PDA

View Full Version : DTSC wtf is that all about

MoleT-5R
Sunday 27th January 2013, 18:46
Well folks just got the V50 a couple of weeks ago and a cracking car it is, nice to drive, economic and enough toys to keep most of us happy, but just one little issue has come to light in the recent snowy conditions, the DTSC wtf is this all about? As when the going gets a bit slippy this electronic device steps in and controls traction, which is great until you try climbing a steep snowy bank in the middle of the night and dtsc cuts in a shuts you down as it can not get grip and brings you to a complete halt. I managed to get to the top of the bank in reverse with the dtsc disabled and gave the dtsc one more try and I came to a grinding halt again and then disabled the dtsc and continued my journey home in 4-5 inchs of snow. What I want to know is there a method to drive this dtsc without it shuting the car down when things get slippy or are you meant to disable it when the going gets a bit tough, as my mrs wouldn't have a clue what was happening and would have been stuck in the snow, not knowing how to get her car moving again

Harvey
Sunday 27th January 2013, 18:58
yep turn it off if the car gets stuck as it will just put the brakes on one side at a time to stop wheel spin,which will get the disc's very hot.
ah just reread post on my S60 there is a button to turn down the DTSC ,then if you press it 5 times it will turn it off.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 27th January 2013, 19:09
yep turn it off if the car gets stuck as it will just put the brakes on one side at a time to stop wheel spin,which will get the disc's very hot.
ah just reread post on my S60 there is a button to turn down the DTSC ,then if you press it 5 times it will turn it off.

did turn it off after trying to make it work for me and promptly gave up, I then only used it on down hills, incase I suddenly need the recover traction on a descent, was just trying to work out if there was a suitable driving style to make dtsc work for you and not against .

stribo
Sunday 27th January 2013, 19:12
I always turn T/C off when I'm driving in the snow, though it's not essential in the C70, as it doesn't seem to work anyway.

LiamT4
Sunday 27th January 2013, 19:24
I always turn T/C off when I'm driving in the snow, though it's not essential in the C70, as it doesn't seem to work anyway.

Think the old style t/c only worked up untill about 15mph anyway.

I'v found on my car that turning the t/c off when stuck is the best way to get moving again.

LeeT5
Sunday 27th January 2013, 19:36
DSTC (Dynamic Stability Traction Control)

I would strongly advise against disabling when the conditions are slippery, wet, ice or snow nor will it cause your brakes to overheat. If you or your missus is driving and you loose traction in a bend then having it ON may save your lives and indeed your car!
It is an electronic system incorporated into the ABS system that detects rotational movement of the wheels and if any one wheel is faster or slower ie (in a skid out of control) the it will electronically brake individual wheels to regain traction. It can also reduce power from the engine and therefore torque which will also enable control.

However, when in deep snowy conditions i would advise turning it off s you wouldn't be driving fast anyway.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 27th January 2013, 19:38

Thats what I did in the end, to continue my journey home, which the V50 managed really well considering how deep the snow was and that only a wider tracked vehicle had travelled the road before me, a full set of winters on it helped alot. Funny thing was when I reverseed up the bank and got to the top, I gave her a reverse flick to get the car travelling the right way again and as I did this the dtsc flashed up that it temporarily disabled spin control, which made me chuckle, as when your spining around is when you may need it and it switch itself off .....lol

stribo
Sunday 27th January 2013, 19:49

I would strongly advise against disabling when the conditions are slippery, wet, ice or snow nor will it cause your brakes to overheat. If you or your missus is driving and you loose traction in a bend then having it ON may save your lives and indeed your car!
It is an electronic system incorporated into the ABS system that detects rotational movement of the wheels and if any one wheel is faster or slower ie (in a skid out of control) the it will electronically brake individual wheels to regain traction. It can also reduce power from the engine and therefore torque which will also enable control.

However, when in deep snowy conditions i would advise turning it off s you wouldn't be driving fast anyway.

Hitting the button once on the R only reduces the effect, which can actually help, because you can use the power to pull you out of a situation, whereas with it fully on, the engine just dies. TBH you'd have to be driving like a looney to get into trouble in an R anyway.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 27th January 2013, 22:40

The point that I'm trying to make that in rural hilly locations dtsc is useless, due to the brake application and power reduction hindering forward momentum until the point of bringing you to a complete standstill halfway up a bank, which in turn is leaving you in a sticky choice of trying to go up or try to get back down.

Reducing the dtsc level would seem to be the only way to scale a snow covered slippery bank (but you need to disable it without losing momentum), which could be then switched back on to continue the journey once the bank is scaled. As for over heating the front brakes, this is possible and did happen when trying to reverse up the hill, when then dtsc detected a spinning wheel and applied the brake to it, until the point when it detected a brake overheat situation and then shut down the dtsc wheel spin control (which then made it easier to ascend the hill), as I also found as correct in the handbook, which I possibly should have read when we got the car....lol

I doubt if Lee will ever experience this as I would think his beautiful V70R awd would be safely tucked away from any severe weather like this and who could blame him

volvokid
Sunday 27th January 2013, 23:18

pushing the button 5x doesnt tottaly disable it, I did it in the snow and it still kicked in.

M-R-P
Sunday 27th January 2013, 23:31
pushing the button 5x doesnt tottaly disable it, I did it in the snow and it still kicked in.

Aaah but was that the DTSC or the ESP? The anti-skid control system doesn't get turned off and has the ability to cut the throttle if it things are really bad (IIRC)

volvokid
Sunday 27th January 2013, 23:41
Not sure, I just seen the light flashing away on the dash

MoleT-5R
Sunday 27th January 2013, 23:49
Aaah but was that the DTSC or the ESP? The anti-skid control system doesn't get turned off and has the ability to cut the throttle if it things are really bad (IIRC)

As you say Martin, as it appears in the handbook, that the spin (wheelspin) control is the only one that can be lowered Active Yaw Control (stability) can't be switched off and would still be able to cut power and apply the brakes when it things it's needed to keep stability, I'll have a play with it on my way to work tomorrow, as I can't remember what was said on the dash as I attempted to turn the functions off and there's no snow to play in now, who would believe we could go from 6 inches to nothing in less than 24 hours

MoleT-5R
Sunday 27th January 2013, 23:53
Not sure, I just seen the light flashing away on the dash

If the light was flashing then it was active, if it's on perminately after you have pushed the button then it is lowered so spin control should be off.

M-R-P
Sunday 27th January 2013, 23:54
I had to turn the DTSC off on mine because, as you say, it just ground to a halt, trying to get up the hill, out of my road. I turned it off and burned through the ice till i got traction - 30 foot burnout, uphill at 5:45am ;)

I've turned mine off in the dry before and had a good thrash about. The skid control faffed with the brakes a lot and at one point, it dipped the throttle.

Stupid thing :(

MoleT-5R
Monday 28th January 2013, 00:00
I had to turn the DTSC off on mine because, as you say, it just ground to a halt, trying to get up the hill, out of my road. I turned it off and burned through the ice till i got traction - 30 foot burnout, uphill at 5:45am ;)

I've turned mine off in the dry before and had a good thrash about. The skid control faffed with the brakes a lot and at one point, it dipped the throttle.

Stupid thing :(

I could imagine getting a rude phone call from the Mrs, as she found her new car would not let her get home as there was a steep snowy hill that it had shut down on as she tries to climb it and doesn't have a clue about dtsc functions on the stalks.....lol

M-R-P
Monday 28th January 2013, 00:05
I could imagine getting a rude phone call from the Mrs, as she found her new car would not let her get home as there was a steep snowy hill that it had shut down on as she tries to climb it and doesn't have a clue about dtsc functions on the stalks.....lol

On the stalk?

Flash git - mine's below the heater controls.. strangely, I can reach it with my finger when I select 1st... :D

volvokid
Monday 28th January 2013, 00:08
If the light was flashing then it was active, if it's on perminately after you have pushed the button then it is lowered so spin control should be off.

If you push the button once, it says stability control reduced, or somthing like that, if pushed 5 times it tells you its off, mine was off but it still functioned to some extent.

volvokid
Monday 28th January 2013, 00:10
On the stalk?

Flash git - mine's below the heater controls.. strangely, I can reach it with my finger when I select 1st... :D

yeah you have to go through a menu on the stalk, just like your trip comp but its more fiddly than pushing the button on your dash

M-R-P
Monday 28th January 2013, 00:21
If you push the button once, it says stability control reduced, or somthing like that, if pushed 5 times it tells you its off, mine was off but it still functioned to some extent.
Mine only has 2 modes - on or off. The P2 R has the 5 - press thingy but mine only has to worry about 1 diff ;)

MoleT-5R
Monday 28th January 2013, 00:22
yeah you have to go through a menu on the stalk, just like your trip comp but its more fiddly than pushing the button on your dash

to right it's a fiddle and if it's already active it doesn't seem to be disabled until it's inactive, which is a fiddle when you suddenly realize that you need to disable it in a hurry as the conditions dictate it will hinder you rather than help, suppose it's just one of those plan a head things that I'll get used to doing, can't she the Mrs's doing it until it stops though....oh no, then finds it diffcult to get going again...lol

volvokid
Monday 28th January 2013, 00:32
to right it's a fiddle and if it's already active it doesn't seem to be disabled until it's inactive

What do you mean by that? I really should be getting to bed now lol

MoleT-5R
Monday 28th January 2013, 00:43
What do you mean by that? I really should be getting to bed now lol

I meant that you can't switch it off if it's working, until it stops working. Good night, I must get off to, work tomorrow unfortunately

volvokid
Monday 28th January 2013, 06:41
Ah I see now, Yeah that is a pain

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 14:16
The point that I'm trying to make that in rural hilly locations dtsc is useless,.........

Reducing the dtsc level........

I doubt if Lee will ever experience this as I would think his beautiful V70R awd would be safely tucked away from any severe weather like this and who could blame him

Firstly it's DSTC, not DTSC.

Secondly my car is parked outside come rain or shine. It's not wrapped in bubble wrap nor cotton wool. it's used as a daily runner and at weekends when i'm not working and i don't care if it's raining monsoon, snowing white out or 30+...my car is driven in all conditions and has been driven in deep snow.

pushing the button 5x doesn't totally disable it, I did it in the snow and it still kicked in.

Pressing the button 5 times for 1 sec each depress Fully disables the Dynamic Stability program

DSTC / ESP (Electronic Stability Program) are tantamount to the same thing. They are just called different things by Manufacturers.

Depending on whether you have DSTC or STC will depend on whether you can reduce or totally disable the system.

As you say Martin, as it appears in the handbook, that the spin (wheel-spin) control is the only one that can be lowered Active Yaw Control (stability) can't be switched off and would still be able to cut power and apply the brakes when it things it's needed to keep stability, I'll have a play with it on my way to work tomorrow, as I can't remember what was said on the dash as I attempted to turn the functions off and there's no snow to play in now, who would believe we could go from 6 inches to nothing in less than 24 hours

Active Yaw Control minimizes under-steer and over-steer. This is all controlled by the ABS module and cannot be disabled unless you have an R model.
To fully disable AYC you need to press the DSTC button 5 times, pressing on 1 sec and off 1 sec. 'DSTC REDUCED FUNCTION' will be displayed on the DIM display.
In other models, inc R - pressing the STC/DSTC button once will fully disable Stability Control and partially disable the AYC.
There is no such thing as 'spin control' and as I've said, AYC can be partially disabled in ALL cars that have the STC/DSTC button and in R models can be FULLY disabled.

If you push the button once, it says stability control reduced, or something like that, if pushed 5 times it tells you its off, mine was off but it still functioned to some extent.

I suspect you were seeing the yellow triangle flashing in the middle of the DIM. This flashes when either the TC is working, AYC is working or SC (skid control) is working. It will illuminate all the time if there is a fault.
Traction control cannot be disabled in any system whether you have DSTC or STC.
AYC (Active Yaw Control) is functional in all systems, however, in the R models AYC is also controlled by the shock absorbers and activates sooner.

Terminology

TC - Traction Control - Transfers power from spinning wheel to wheel that is now spinning by braking the spinning wheel (cannot be disabled, ALL models)
SC - Stability Control - prevents wheels spinning when accelerating (Recommended to disable when in deep snow
AYC - Active Yaw Control - Stabilizes the car if it starts to skid by braking one or more wheels automatically (Cannot be disabled except R models)

In R models the DSTC is a lot more sophisticated and controls the following:

Dive and Lift control, Brake Grip control, Dynamic body control, Load dependent control, Bump and Rebound control, Wheel Hop control, Dynamic Cornering control, Active Yaw control, Advanced Sport control.

If anyone wants a breakdown of any of these functions and how they work then PM me and i will en devour to enlighten you.

M-R-P
Monday 28th January 2013, 14:38

DSTC / ESP (Electronic Stability Program) are tantamount to the same thing. They are just called different things by Manufacturers.

I was under the impression the DSTC (Dynamic Stability Traction Control), when turned off, showing the message "anti-spin control off" turned the anti - spin (traction control) off, allowing wheelspin but the ESP being an anti - skid system, which controls brake distribution and throttle was kept on as a means of preventing the car skidding under emergency conditions like simultaneous hard braking and cornering?

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 14:58
I was under the impression the DSTC (Dynamic Stability Traction Control), when turned off, showing the message "anti-spin control off" turned the anti - spin (traction control) off, allowing wheelspin but the ESP being an anti - skid system, which controls brake distribution and throttle was kept on as a means of preventing the car skidding under emergency conditions like simultaneous hard braking and cornering?

Nope.

You cannot fully disable (turn off) the DSTC, unless you own an R model, therefore you are merely reducing its functionality when you press the DSTC button. Forget R models for a minute...when you press the DSTC button you will deactivate the SC (Stability Control) NOT THE TRACTION CONTROL and reduce the AYC. All other functions are not affected. With the R models its the same, the only difference is we (meaning R owners) can FULLY DISABLE the AYC and the SC. This does not affect the AYC that the shock absorbers control on the Four-C system....that is totally different.

Don't confuse anti Spin control and traction control, they are NOT the same thing.

I reiterate...you CANNOT disable the Traction control on ANY system, even on the R models, only the Stability Control.

M-R-P
Monday 28th January 2013, 15:19
So, DSTC on - I can't wheelspin on ice/slush/puddles as it cuts the throttle (much to my annoyance, as I was trying to show-off the nice turbo chatter inducing device I fitted) but when I turned the DSTC off I got wheelspin and as much as I wanted. That was the stability control? I thought "traction control" controlled traction? If you can't turn it off, what was going on?

If there's no such thing as spin control - why does my DIM say "Spin control off/on" when I press the DSTC button?

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 15:27
So, DSTC on - I can't wheelspin on ice/slush/puddles as it cuts the throttle (much to my annoyance, as I was trying to show-off the nice turbo chatter inducing device I fitted) but when I turned the DSTC off I got wheelspin and as much as I wanted. That was the stability control? I thought "traction control" controlled traction? If you can't turn it off, what was going on?

If there's no such thing as spin control - why does my DIM say "Spin control off/on" when I press the DSTC button?

"Spin control off/on" --- its just Volvo terminology. In my car it says "DSTC FUNCTION REDUCED".

Traction control transfers the motive power from a driving wheel that spins on the road surface to the drive wheel that does not spin by braking the wheel that starts to spin. You will hear a pulsing sound when it is working and is completely normal. It cannot be deactivated. If you were flooring it then the TC will not work and you will get wheel spin. If you do it again on low revs and gentle acceleration then the TC system will work (unless yours is faulty), however if it was faulty then the yellow triangle would be illuminated all the time.

M-R-P
Monday 28th January 2013, 15:40
Interesting - the vail of confusion is gradually lifting...

So it was the stability thingy that was cutting the throttle and because both front wheels were spinning at roughly the same speed, the TC didn't get involved.

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 15:54

So it was the stability thingy that was cutting the throttle and because both front wheels were spinning at roughly the same speed, the TC didn't get involved.

precisely.:B_thumb:

stribo
Monday 28th January 2013, 16:10

precisely.

Not even close I'm afraid, the T/C monitors all 4 wheels so even if both your front wheels are spinning at the same speed, the y will be rotating faster than the rear wheels, and the T/C will step in and cut the power. This is why you have to turn T/C systems off on rolling roads, otherwise you won't get much of a power reading. I think what is happening when you press the button, the T/C is turned off, but the stability control is still on, so you'll still struggle to get, say, lift off oversteer.

M-R-P
Monday 28th January 2013, 16:23
Not even close I'm afraid, the T/C monitors all 4 wheels so even if both your front wheels are spinning at the same speed, the y will be rotating faster than the rear wheels, and the T/C will step in and cut the power. This is why you have to turn T/C systems off on rolling roads, otherwise you won't get much of a power reading. I think what is happening when you press the button, the T/C is turned off, but the stability control is still on, so you'll still struggle to get, say, lift off oversteer.

The stibility control has the ability to cut the throttle/power awd would work differently but on my fwd, the stability control would see the different hub speeds and read it as a skid, albeit a weird one and cut the power.

It took me a while to click onto what Lee was saying but I get it now. This is why AMGs burn their rear brakes out when the driver aids are turned - off. The TC is constantly stabbing away at the rear brakes, trying to get them to turn at the same speed as the front wheels.

stribo
Monday 28th January 2013, 16:31
But if your T/C was still on it wouldn't let the front wheels spin quicker than the rears, and you wouldn't be able to put it on a rolling road. As for Mercs, you can never fully turn off the driver aids.

M-R-P
Monday 28th January 2013, 16:39
But if your T/C was still on it wouldn't let the front wheels spin quicker than the rears, and you wouldn't be able to put it on a rolling road. As for Mercs, you can never fully turn off the driver aids.

The driver aid that doesn't turn off on the merc is the TC.
It's the stability that needs to be turned off on the rollers - on a fwd, the TC will only react if one of the driven wheels is moving faster than the other, it's the stability control that measures the speed of all four. You can run on the rollers with a fwd P2 and the yellow (don't drive like a prat) light will be going nuts, hence turning it off. Put an awd on the rollers and all the wheels will be going at the same speed anyway.

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 16:42

Read page 19 of your drivers hand book, under heading Traction Control, TC. The last sentence clearly says....(and i quote)....It cannot be deactivated.

The only part of the DSTC that can is the Stability Control and (R models ONLY) AYC.
AYC (Active Yaw Control) is reduced in ALL models and can be switched OFF in R Models.
AYC Cannot, i repeat cannot be turned off in non R models only reduced.

stribo
Monday 28th January 2013, 16:47
Read page 19 of your drivers hand book, under heading Traction Control, TC. The last sentence clearly says....(and i quote)....It cannot be deactivated.

Our's doesn't, we've got an R :D

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 16:52
The driver aid that doesn't turn off on the merc is the TC.
It's the stability that needs to be turned off on the rollers - on a fwd, the TC will only react if one of the driven wheels is moving faster than the other, it's the stability control that measures the speed of all four. You can run on the rollers with a fwd P2 and the yellow (don't drive like a prat) light will be going nuts, hence turning it off. Put an awd on the rollers and all the wheels will be going at the same speed anyway.

Hallelujah!!

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 16:53
Our's doesn't, we've got an R :D

What do you mean, it doesn't? what doesn't?

MoleT-5R
Monday 28th January 2013, 20:09

Secondly my car is parked outside come rain or shine. It's not wrapped in bubble wrap nor cotton wool. it's used as a daily runner and at weekends when i'm not working and i don't care if it's raining monsoon, snowing white out or 30+...my car is driven in all conditions and has been driven in deep snow.

Pressing the button 5 times for 1 sec each depress Fully disables the Dynamic Stability program

Depending on whether you have DSTC or STC will depend on whether you can reduce or totally disable the system.

Active Yaw Control minimizes under-steer and over-steer. This is all controlled by the ABS module and cannot be disabled unless you have an R model.
To fully disable AYC you need to press the DSTC button 5 times, pressing on 1 sec and off 1 sec. 'DSTC REDUCED FUNCTION' will be displayed on the DIM display.
In other models, inc R - pressing the STC/DSTC button once will fully disable Stability Control and partially disable the AYC.
There is no such thing as 'spin control' and as I've said, AYC can be partially disabled in ALL cars that have the STC/DSTC button and in R models can be FULLY disabled.

I suspect you were seeing the yellow triangle flashing in the middle of the DIM. This flashes when either the TC is working, AYC is working or SC (skid control) is working. It will illuminate all the time if there is a fault.
Traction control cannot be disabled in any system whether you have DSTC or STC.
AYC (Active Yaw Control) is functional in all systems, however, in the R models AYC is also controlled by the shock absorbers and activates sooner.

Terminology

TC - Traction Control - Transfers power from spinning wheel to wheel that is now spinning by braking the spinning wheel (cannot be disabled, ALL models)
SC - Stability Control - prevents wheels spinning when accelerating (Recommended to disable when in deep snow
AYC - Active Yaw Control - Stabilizes the car if it starts to skid by braking one or more wheels automatically (Cannot be disabled except R models)

In R models the DSTC is a lot more sophisticated and controls the following:

Dive and Lift control, Brake Grip control, Dynamic body control, Load dependent control, Bump and Rebound control, Wheel Hop control, Dynamic Cornering control, Active Yaw control, Advanced Sport control.

If anyone wants a breakdown of any of these functions and how they work then PM me and i will en devour to enlighten you.

Thank you for clearing this up for us, I see what your saying and I apologize for making it sound that your car is bubble wrapped, but the last time I saw it, it looked that amazing I would never think that it lives outside rain or shine and driven in all weathers, well done to you for keeping it in such great condition

LeeT5
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 00:02
Thank you for clearing this up for us, I see what your saying and I apologize for making it sound that your car is bubble wrapped, but the last time I saw it, it looked that amazing I would never think that it lives outside rain or shine and driven in all weathers, well done to you for keeping it in such great condition

No problem. Would that have been at TRAX?

Anyway, if you'd have seen my car last week you could barely read the registration plate!!! I am meticulous when it comes to cleaning, at the very least she will always get a rinse,wash and dry if I'm in a rush. i'm very careful where i park to avoid retards that can't get out their cars without smashing their door into the car next to them (you know who you are) and i do not cut corners with maintenance. genuine parts are always used unless its a mod. For the TRAX event i spent two days cleaning and the night before i left she was covered up with a car cover.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 07:15
No problem. Would that have been at TRAX?

Anyway, if you'd have seen my car last week you could barely read the registration plate!!! I am meticulous when it comes to cleaning, at the very least she will always get a rinse,wash and dry if I'm in a rush. i'm very careful where i park to avoid retards that can't get out their cars without smashing their door into the car next to them (you know who you are) and i do not cut corners with maintenance. genuine parts are always used unless its a mod. For the TRAX event i spent two days cleaning and the night before i left she was covered up with a car cover.

The effort diidn't go un-noticed keeep up the good work, stunning car Lee