PDA

View Full Version : Fitting replacement brake lines...

M-R-P
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:07
Got yourself some shiny new brake hoses?...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/4DF3D917-orig.jpg

Read horror stories about nuts snapping and new fixed lines being bought in a panic? not keen on cutting the fixed pipe and buying a flairing tool and new nuts? Try this...

First, remove the cap from the brake fluid resivior. Stretch some cling film over the opening and replace the cap. This will help stop fluid leaking out of the lines when you undo them.

Starting from the n/s rear, jack up the car and remove the wheel (Duuuh) then put a spanner on the old hose, at the hub-end and "crack" it. Just loosen it half a turn, to make sure it's not frozen. Plus-Gas and a wire brush can be used to remove any rust and crud.

With some good cutters, snip the hose, as close to the metal crimp as you can and remove the connection...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/projects/DSCF9764.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/projects/DSCF9765.jpg

Then get the new line in and finger-tight...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/projects/DSCF9768.jpg

Do the same at the other end but DON'T remove the supporting bracket - you can feed a 13mm flair nut spanner in the gap to hold it still, while you use a 14mm ring spanner to undo the end of the old hose.

Normally, you should be turning the flair nut to remove the old hose but they will almost definately be frozen and you run a big risk of damaging the fixed line.

Now undo the 13mm bolts that hold the calliper carrier to the hub. With no hose connecting it, the calliper can be twisted a bit to open it and remove it from the disk.

Then, have an assistant turn the calliper, while you guide the new hose onto the flair nut and tighten.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/projects/DSCF9773.jpg

You may find mounting the calliper may lead to a twist in the hose - don't worry about that, get the calliper bolted back on, then faff about with the flair nut, you should get enough movement to straighten the hose. Don't forget to tighten the hose at the hub - end.

Give it a bleed and check everything is tight and secured (abs wires can easily be forgotten ;))

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/projects/DSCF9778.jpg

Then, do the same with the other 3 wheels and you're larfin'

Here's little M-R-P, expressing his opinion of the job...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/projects/DSCF9780.jpg

Kingsford G
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:18
Good job there Martin.The one I had to cut was proper stuck `cos of the rust and it was in the middle of rear axel and my car is older all the others were good as gold tho.

M-R-P
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:22
Cheerz mate ;)
I didn't want to even risk damaging the fixed lines, nor did I want to spend-out on a flairing kit etc. Removing the calliper has got to be quicker than making new flaired ends :D

iancho
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:28
Great job Martin how long did it take you?

I remember when my garage did mine a few weeks ago and they said it could be a §§§§§§ of a job as some of the nuts have a tendancy to snap off, luckily they didn't. :smile:

Kingsford G
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:30
Cheerz mate ;)
I didn't want to even risk damaging the fixed lines, nor did I want to spend-out on a flairing kit etc. Removing the calliper has got to be quicker than making new flaired ends :D

I removed the all too cos painted the callys as well.The ones u have r they steel or stainless steel?

Harvey
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:31
Another job done and out the way,nice work.
I bet you didn't give the springs a tug just case they fell out again.
Just thinking How much of your car is still original from the factory in Percentage terms.
Try working that one out then.

M-R-P
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:35
Great job Martin how long did it take you?

I remember when my garage did mine a few weeks ago and they said it could be a §§§§§§ of a job as some of the nuts have a tendancy to snap off, luckily they didn't. :smile:

It took about 3 hours. I could have done it quicker but as I'd never done this before, I like to stop, think about things, decide the best course of action and then take my time. If I did it again, it would take 1.5 to 2 hours.
The reason I took the callipers off was to avoid the nuts snapping - by keeping the flair nuts still and turning the hose, there's no stress put on the weaker, fixed pipes.

I removed the all too cos painted the callys as well.The ones u have r they steel or stainless steel?

Goodricg stainless with PTFE coating... nom nom Blingy :D

M-R-P
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:39
Another job done and out the way,nice work.
I bet you didn't give the springs a tug just case they fell out again.
Just thinking How much of your car is still original from the factory in Percentage terms.
Try working that one out then.

Lol, I left the springs well alone, after last time :slap:

Tha ARBs, droplinks, wishbones, trailing arms and links, steering rack, front strut bearings, subframe bushes and a few other bits are original, now with 197400 miles on them.

Most of the body is original, most of the interior isn't.

I'd say about 65% was from the factory ;)

Kingsford G
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:46
The reason I took the callipers off was to avoid the nuts snapping - by keeping the flair nuts still and turning the hose, there's no stress put on the weaker, fixed pipes.

Good thinking,mine had no grip left on the flexy hose and everytime u grip it`d spin with rust dust,looks like there wasnt much left before the fluid pushed out,tbh I don`t know y they put flexy there `cos its sitting there still not bending and probably never changed in 16years.Also the N/S/F one was an advisory for 3 years so I could believe yrs also never been replaced.

M-R-P
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:51
Good thinking,mine had no grip left on the flexy hose and everytime u grip it`d spin with rust dust,looks like there wasnt much left before the fluid pushed out,tbh I don`t know y they put flexy there `cos its sitting there still not bending and probably never changed in 16years.Also the N/S/F one was an advisory for 3 years so I could believe yrs also never been replaced.

First time I've had an advisory on a MOT - I felt dirty lol so I had to get it sorted asap. Gotta sort the strut bearings soon.

Cutting the rubber hose lets you hammer a ring spanner over the nut at the end. Lots of Plus-Gas helps. I get it **ahem** free ;)

Kingsford G
Saturday 26th January 2013, 20:57
First time I've had an advisory on a MOT - I felt dirty lol so I had to get it sorted asap. Gotta sort the strut bearings soon.

Cutting the rubber hose lets you hammer a ring spanner over the nut at the end. Lots of Plus-Gas helps. I get it **ahem** free ;)

I couldn`t be asked `cos a new pipe was a quicker option and cost nothing

M-R-P
Saturday 26th January 2013, 21:04
I couldn`t be asked `cos a new pipe was a quicker option and cost nothing

If you have the skill, equipment and parts then it's the better way to go - you know that bit isn't corroding for a few years yet :)

Kingsford G
Saturday 26th January 2013, 21:12
If you have the skill, equipment and parts then it's the better way to go - you know that bit isn't corroding for a few years yet :)

Yep and I like braking things lol

M-R-P
Saturday 26th January 2013, 21:13
I prefer to break things I don't have to fix after ;)

V70 Graham
Saturday 26th January 2013, 21:16
Good job mate, nice to see the little fella give his approval :wink:

M-R-P
Saturday 26th January 2013, 21:18
Good job mate, nice to see the little fella give his approval :wink:

Bless him, he refused to watch telly or eat choccy buttons to come out and help clean the tools and put everything away. Asked lots of questions about the car, learned the difference between a scissor jack and a trolly jack and even told me the car is much happier now lol. Proper little petrol-head.

V70 Graham
Saturday 26th January 2013, 21:22
Bless him, he refused to watch telly or eat choccy buttons to come out and help clean the tools and put everything away. Asked lots of questions about the car, learned the difference between a scissor jack and a trolly jack and even told me the car is much happier now lol. Proper little petrol-head.

I bet he still prefers mine though.....:nutkick:

M-R-P
Saturday 26th January 2013, 21:23
Mine's louder - that means it wins ;)

Kingsford G
Saturday 26th January 2013, 21:39
He just hasn`t seen mine yet lol Bring him along to the RR.

M-R-P
Saturday 26th January 2013, 21:50
He just hasn`t seen mine yet lol Bring him along to the RR.

I'd like to, he'd love it but it's hard keeping him occupied lol. he'll be a pain in the bum for the drive there and back and a nightmare while we're rolling.

Kingsford G
Saturday 26th January 2013, 21:54
I'd like to, he'd love it but it's hard keeping him occupied lol. he'll be a pain in the bum for the drive there and back and a nightmare while we're rolling.

Bless him :) That`ll take too long thats true.