PDA

View Full Version : Headlights not doing what they should...

LeeT5
Friday 25th January 2013, 19:28
Hello everyone!

I have a 2004 V70R and back in the summer 2012 i had my DRL's turned off! Now, this was before i had purchased my own VIDA/DICE so i had to rely on my local dealer to turn them off. I understand the lights have 3 different settings and i cannot (without looking) remember the correct terminology used on VIDA but its something like:

1) Lights (EU)

2) Lights (AU & CA)

3) Lights (NA) - Don't quote me on these letters as i may be wrong!

Now, basically, setting 1) means the lights are set to Europe ie pos.0 = OFF, pos.1 = side lights, pos.2 = Headlights. (This is commonly known as DRL's OFF) So they function as a normal headlight switch would do on an older car without any DRLs.

With DRLs ON the switch would function as follows: pos.0 = Headlights, pos.1 = sidelights only, pos.2 = Headlights.

The other setting i have no idea how the lights work.

My problem is this; After the day runners were disabled ie turned off by the dealer the switch and lights functioned normally as per 1). This is also useful as if you leave the headlight switch in pos.2 and remove the key then ALL the lights should switch off. Brilliant.

Then i purchased VIDA/DICE and after i finally got it all working everything was good. I adjusted my heated seat temps. and also enabled the ignition barrel lights (i thought the bulb had blown).
I also tried the different light settings to see what each setting did. All good so far...Problem is, after i had seen what the different settings did i put the car back to the original setting that Volvo did for me in the summer ie DRLs OFF but now, when i remove the key from the ignition the sidelights are staying ON in pos.2, when they should be OFF!!

I took my car to the dealer today and they spent an hour looking at it and they even tried a brand new headlight switch - but they still cannot get it to work as it should.

I do not believe that my meddling in VIDA has caused a fault because its just a simple case of switching the function on or off. To anyone that hasn't used VIDA you can see the operation of the lights or whatever it is you are enabling/disabling, altering in a live environment.

Has anyone else had this problem or even knows how i might fix this please??

stephenevans99
Friday 25th January 2013, 20:20
Can't really help but I know there's a handwritten code in the back of my handbook from when the dealers disabled my DRLs. Don't know how this code would be used....?

stephenevans99
Friday 25th January 2013, 20:52
Do you have to option to set the DRLs to FLEXSTD & FLEXNOL.....read a few threads elsewhere and it seems these are the settings you need to be looking at....??

LeeT5
Sunday 27th January 2013, 01:06
Do you have to option to set the DRLs to FLEXSTD & FLEXNOL.....read a few threads elsewhere and it seems these are the settings you need to be looking at....??

Yes. These are the options i'm talking about. Flexstd should be DRLs OFF, but my side lights remain on when keys removed from ignition and switch in pos.2. They should go off!!

M-R-P
Sunday 27th January 2013, 07:56
I read this thread and I keep hearing my mum's voice in my head... "if you keep fiddling with it, you'll go blind..."

Oh the irony. ;)

Harvey
Sunday 27th January 2013, 08:26
Hi all my lights are off when I start up car engine on.
If the light switch is turned to side lights they come on when the engine is on or off ,if on and key removed they stay on until I turn them off.
If the headlight switch is on headlights ( full clockwise ) the lights are off untill the engine is started or the key is turned to run engine dash lights on if I turn the engine off all the lights go out (headlights - side lights) even if I leave the light switch where it was with lights on.
Hope I have got the right end of the stick. Harvey

M-R-P
Sunday 27th January 2013, 08:31
Mine work the same way but I think Lee has an issue with his not doing what they're set up for via Dice/vida.

Harvey
Sunday 27th January 2013, 08:40
I don't see why volvo would try a different switch as it can be tested by VIDA/dice as it just signals the CEM unit,software settings as you say.

Harvey
Sunday 27th January 2013, 17:41
Here a couple of photos of my settings.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/4583CBA7-B91F-4195-BCA4-D971343AEB8E-7809-00000D5EAA5AC2A6.jpg
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/D466903E-F47B-49DA-9194-D18B93D6FB26-7809-00000D5EBA6F700F.jpg
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/FBCD0F1A-BE2B-4EDA-B64B-722E7133DD78-7809-00000D5ED4768F3C.jpg
dont know if this will help.

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 16:26
FLEXNOLL, FLEXSTD and FLEXLGT all mean something to me. What version of VIDA are you using only yours looks different?

What does it mean when it says DRL, status Activated with Sensor?
What have you got yours set on?
When you set them, did you have your lights switch in any particular setting, ie pos.0 or pos.2??

Harvey
Monday 28th January 2013, 17:15
The screen on the right shows what setting is used.
Vida is 2012B I think
The car came with the lights set this way.
The sensor setting is when it's dark I think I will have a look tonight.
I have not tried to change settings as I did read something that said that on 2005 years on its a volvo down load to change not sure ifs its true ,as its the way I want the lights never tried to change.