PDA

View Full Version : ABS pump/module compatibility

T5Rica
Thursday 24th January 2013, 02:11
Mine is leaking so I got the model number 9173973 from it and tried to find a replacement from the same year and model.

Found one that looks exactly the same (as some are wildly different) after much hunting but this one has the part number 9140933.

The 9173973 one can't be sourced for love nor money.

I rang Volvo Australia and they said part 9140933 doesn't exist (but it does ring bells with some retailers after a google search)

So my question is will the two parts be compatible seeing as they are both 1994 Australian complied 850 T5 with tracs and abs. I don't really want to buy the second hand part and get my mechanic to fit it if the thing wont work.

Does anyone have a catalogue of part numbers and their interchangeableness with other parts?

The main stealer wants 2200 AUD for a replacement.

TIA

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 24th January 2013, 11:31
Almost certainly have that ABS ECU on the shelf at HLM (fully reconditioned) - if you want? You'd need to send the existing unit back. I will have a look but I also have a pump to fit it.

What car are we talking about? Sounds like a C70 coupe?

stribo
Thursday 24th January 2013, 12:03
Almost certainly have that ABS ECU on the shelf at HLM (fully reconditioned) - if you want? You'd need to send the existing unit back. I will have a look but I also have a pump to fit it.

What car are we talking about? Sounds like a C70 coupe?

Postage to and from Oz won't be cheap though Dave.

phil850t5
Thursday 24th January 2013, 18:09
Mine is leaking so I got the model number 9173973 from it and tried to find a replacement from the same year and model.

Found one that looks exactly the same (as some are wildly different) after much hunting but this one has the part number 9140933.

The 9173973 one can't be sourced for love nor money.

I rang Volvo Australia and they said part 9140933 doesn't exist (but it does ring bells with some retailers after a google search)

So my question is will the two parts be compatible seeing as they are both 1994 Australian complied 850 T5 with tracs and abs. I don't really want to buy the second hand part and get my mechanic to fit it if the thing wont work.

Does anyone have a catalogue of part numbers and their interchangeableness with other parts?

The main stealer wants 2200 AUD for a replacement.

TIA

i have a ABS ECU if you need one

T5Rica
Thursday 24th January 2013, 21:03
Many thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah postage on a heavy item like that may be pretty extreme.

Its a 1994 Volvo T5.

Was more trying to find out if anyone knew what difference there might be on the exact same car with Tracs and ABS of the same year.

Is it possible that the units are exactly the same but one was sourced from a different supplier hence the different part numbers (one of which volvo australia doesn't even recognise)?

Cant really see Volvo using two different abs units/hydraulic pumps for cars of the same year and country of origin, but need to find out before I try and get it repaired.

Woke up this morning and it had dumped most of the brake fluid on the ground, and being my only car need to try and get her fixed pretty quick.

Thanks for the offer of parts.

(just to add I think the ECU is fine, it seems to be leaking around the proportioning valve with the 4 hydraulic outlets so its either the pump itself or some problem with the valve. the fluid leaks from the valve onto the black plastic box beneath it. Nothing visible from the outlet sides, it appears to be leaking from the back of the unit and being bolted to inner wing cant see for sure.)

Will try and add some photos for you to see.

T5Rica
Friday 25th January 2013, 07:40
Is it possible that a faulty brake position sensor or any other sensor for that matter could cause a hydraulic part to remain open causing a leak?

The more I read the more I'm confused.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 25th January 2013, 11:44
I know the unit - its the metallic one that sits upright near the bulkhead. TBH you'd have to get one from a breakers yard or a new one. They're not that common. Post 1995 Volvo went for the plastic one suspended underneath the abs pump.