PDA

View Full Version : Original air filter question

mikey32shaw
Wednesday 23rd January 2013, 23:20
Hi all, after checking the air filter at the weekend which I'm gonna replace tomorrow. I have the cylinder type filter but it has can what only be described as a foam sock covering half of it? What is this for and why does it need to be on?

Mike

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd January 2013, 23:30
No idea mate. They are fitted to genuine volvo filters. If you fancy a bit more noise, get the performance filter from PFV for about 40 quid. Then leave the cover off the air box ;)

silverhorse
Thursday 24th January 2013, 01:34
Oh blimey! I have the same type of air filter on mine 2005 2.4 T5. Did exactly what you are about to do. Car did NOT like it. I have binned the filter and gone back to OE.
I am still trying to work out what the problem was, but she runs perfectly on standard, and §§§§ on performance filter.
Be warned!!

mikey32shaw
Thursday 24th January 2013, 04:53
Think ill stick with standard the wife would chew my bits if I messed the car up :-)

V70 Graham
Thursday 24th January 2013, 08:02
.....but it has can what only be described as a foam sock covering half of it? What is this for and why does it need to be on?

Mike

Is it not a filter condom, it needs to be on to prevent little filters appearing !

M-R-P
Thursday 24th January 2013, 08:06
Oh blimey! I have the same type of air filter on mine 2005 2.4 T5. Did exactly what you are about to do. Car did NOT like it. I have binned the filter and gone back to OE.
I am still trying to work out what the problem was, but she runs perfectly on standard, and §§§§ on performance filter.
Be warned!!
Volvokid's car was the same but apparently, cleaning the throttle body and boost pipes sorted it. Worth a go.

Think ill stick with standard the wife would chew my bits if I messed the car up :-)

I have similar issues ;) The way I get round it is to not screw the car up (and if possible, not telling her:D)

silverhorse
Thursday 24th January 2013, 10:31
I bought that filter that MRP says for about £40. That is the one that caused the car to throw its toys out of the pram. I am going to buy a cheap cone off fleabay and have another go. Not going to spend big money again for the car to go mental.
I am not the only one who has had this problem with the cylindrical type of air filter
The problem is, with the airbox lid off and the soundproofing stripped off the underside of the bonnet, the car sounds awesome. It is totally addictive and worth persuing, if you can get it right. (if you have not already seen it, check these out http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?47323-More-intake-noise-options
I am currently running standard filter with the airbox lid off. NO fault light, no problems. Same sound as performance filter but obviously, standard filter is not designed to be exposed like that.
The car is no faster, but it sounds faster!!;)

M-R-P
Thursday 24th January 2013, 10:41
I bought that filter that MRP says for about £40. That is the one that caused the car to throw its toys out of the pram. I am going to buy a cheap cone off fleabay and have another go. Not going to spend big money again for the car to go mental.
I am not the only one who has had this problem with the cylindrical type of air filter
The problem is, with the airbox lid off and the soundproofing stripped off the underside of the bonnet, the car sounds awesome. It is totally addictive and worth persuing, if you can get it right. (if you have not already seen it, check these out http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?47323-More-intake-noise-options
I am currently running standard filter with the airbox lid off. NO fault light, no problems. Same sound as performance filter but obviously, standard filter is not designed to be exposed like that.
The car is no faster, but it sounds faster!!;)

Give you're throttle body a clean mate. Not a difficult job - intercooler pipe off, 4 bolts and 1 wire. May very well solve your ecu tantrum but should give the engine a better feel and response.

claymore
Thursday 24th January 2013, 10:58
As M-R-P says, the car obviously has a problem which isn't manifesting itself with the standard filter, never the less, there is an issue with the car.

partsforvolvos.com
Thursday 24th January 2013, 11:03
we've never had anything like this reported with one of our direct replacement performance filters for any car.
TBH, i havent a clue why it would do that - its just a more free flowing filter.

silverhorse
Thursday 24th January 2013, 11:10
we've never had anything like this reported with one of our direct replacement performance filters for any car.
TBH, i havent a clue why it would do that - its just a more free flowing filter.
Yeah, I am gutted because it is a nice bit of kit. In theory there should be no problems, but my car was having none of it:worried:
I have got a list of stuff to check, so when the weather picks up I will go and get my hands dirty!

M-R-P
Thursday 24th January 2013, 11:12
Yeah, I am gutted because it is a nice bit of kit. In theory there should be no problems, but my car was having none of it:worried:
I have got a list of stuff to check, so when the weather picks up I will go and get my hands dirty!

That's it mate - skin yer knuckles, swear a lot, snap a spanner... you'll feel better for it lol.

silverhorse
Thursday 24th January 2013, 11:13
Give you're throttle body a clean mate. Not a difficult job - intercooler pipe off, 4 bolts and 1 wire. May very well solve your ecu tantrum but should give the engine a better feel and response.

Will do. I have been told where it is and that it is an easy job. Anyone got a pic of it so I know I am taking off the correct bit? Also, what to clean it with? Same as cleaning MAF, or can I get stuck in with a toothbrush?

M-R-P
Thursday 24th January 2013, 11:18
Carb cleaner and a cloth will do it mate.

Open the bonnet and look at the inlet manifold. Under that, there's a block bolted to it with a big pipe heading to the intercooler. You're after the block.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/WherestheETM.jpg

silverhorse
Thursday 24th January 2013, 11:28
Carb cleaner and a cloth will do it mate.

Open the bonnet and look at the inlet manifold. Under that, there's a block bolted to it with a big pipe heading to the intercooler. You're after the block.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/WherestheETM.jpg
Cheers for that Martin. I shall go and have a look.
what should it look like out of the factory? And what should it look like if it is a bit sick? Just full of crud I spose?

M-R-P
Thursday 24th January 2013, 11:49
Basically, the bit the air flows through should be shiny and clean. You'll have varying amounts of tar-like crud in there, especially where the butterfly meets the body. Gently turn the butterfly and clean it's edge and the parts of the body that the butterfly rests on. Then just wipe around the rest of the body and re-fit.

mikey32shaw
Thursday 24th January 2013, 13:50
Garages do my nut in just mentioned cleaning the throttle body while I'm waiting for my oil change and all they want to do is replace with new!! I must have asked 8 garages to clean the MAF and all said no :-(

silverhorse
Thursday 24th January 2013, 14:05
Garages do my nut in just mentioned cleaning the throttle body while I'm waiting for my oil change and all they want to do is replace with new!! I must have asked 8 garages to clean the MAF and all said no :-(
You can clean your own MAF no probs mikey.I have done mine many times. I think most people here treat them as a consumable part and clean them on a regular basis.
The garage won't do it cos they know how delicate they are and if they f*ck it up they are liable.
I think there is a 'how to' on here somewhere.......

mikey32shaw
Thursday 24th January 2013, 14:08
Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and clean it myself next weekend then :-) sure to be throwing questions about next week then

silverhorse
Thursday 24th January 2013, 14:16
Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and clean it myself next weekend then :-) sure to be throwing questions about next week then

Have a look at
THIS....

Obviously not a Volvo but the principle is exactly the same. Make sure you have the correct cleaner, and I would also clean the housing itself as well. And above all, the sensor is VERY delicate. Don't drop or contaminate. Have you seen the price of a genuine new one? :eye-poppi

V70 Graham
Thursday 24th January 2013, 14:20

Me thinks you should try another garage, I never 'ask' if they can do something, I 'tell' them what I would like them to do, I go to a Volvo indie and get them to do all sorts, cars booked in with them Monday to fit braided brake hoses I picked up on eBay.
If (and its not happened yet) something broke and they had pointed out that it may do so before hand I would accept it, knowing full well that I would have probably broken it too had I attempted it at home.
A good garage is hard to find, granted but it should still be 'The customer is always right'

M-R-P
Thursday 24th January 2013, 14:28
Cleaning the throttle body yourself is a relatively safe bit of work to do on your car as a means of building confidence to tackle the tougher jobs later on. It's a very simple job that takes a couple of hours, giving you time to take a few bits off the car, look at them, clean them if necessary and maybe even identify a problem you didn't know was there.

Give it a go and save yourself 50+ quid :D

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 18:41
Be warned!!

Shouldnt do that mate. Car should run fine even without a filter on it. Sounds like you got issues that Martyn had. Try cleaning your ETM and then see what happens with a performance filter on. Worked for Martyn.

(sorry Martin, just seen you already mentioned this).