PDA

View Full Version : Rear Suspension problems

S60 Dean
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 17:45
When I bought my car a there was a clunking noise coming from the Boot area, I just thought it was the Spare wheel or Tool kit/Jack not being tied down.
Anyway it wasn't, so replaced the Rear Shocks and Linkages, but still getting the clunking noise.
Also the Car feels loose from the Rear, hit a bump and it seems to throw you to one side, got this problem with both Old and New Shocks.
Any ideas anyone? please. :(

JamesT5
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 20:53
When I bought my car a there was a clunking noise coming from the Boot area, I just thought it was the Spare wheel or Tool kit/Jack not being tied down.
Anyway it wasn't, so replaced the Rear Shocks and Linkages, but still getting the clunking noise.
Also the Car feels loose from the Rear, hit a bump and it seems to throw you to one side, got this problem with both Old and New Shocks.
Any ideas anyone? please. :(

Hi

I've just replaced the suspension on my 2001 V70 so I might be able to offer you ideas here....

When you changed the shocks, did you change the mounts too? Worn mounts could be the problem. Also, check rear bushes and wheel bearings and how are your rear springs?

Regards

James

S60 Dean
Wednesday 23rd January 2013, 18:09
Hi

I've just replaced the suspension on my 2001 V70 so I might be able to offer you ideas here....

When you changed the shocks, did you change the mounts too? Worn mounts could be the problem. Also, check rear bushes and wheel bearings and how are your rear springs?

Regards

James

Thanks for the ideas James, No didn't change the Mounts, now ordered, the Mechanic checked the Bushes said there was a bit of play but nothing excessive, Wheel bearings and Springs are OK.
See how I get on with the Mounts Cheers mate.

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd January 2013, 18:40
Could also be drop links of ARB bushes.

Best to get in there with a bar and start levering things, see what moves.

S60 Dean
Wednesday 23rd January 2013, 19:00
Could also be drop links of ARB bushes.

Best to get in there with a bar and start levering things, see what moves.

Will do, cheers mate. ;)

JamesT5
Wednesday 23rd January 2013, 19:38
Will do, cheers mate. ;)

I changed the drop links on my V70, I got Delphi ones from my local factors for around £20 - £30 each so they're not that expensive either. They're easy to change providing the nuts and bolts aren't stuck (like they were on mine), otherwise it's a nice simple DIY job to change them.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

James

S60 Dean
Thursday 31st January 2013, 17:42
Update, Changed new Rear Shock absorbers, Drop Linkages and Mounts, all Bushes, Wheel Bearings checked, still got the clunking noise.
But also I've noticed the New Rear tyres I put on less than 2 Months ago have worn on the outer edges nearly Bald, I got a 4 wheel alignment when fitted.
Been back to the place that done the Alignment, they said they can't adjust the Rear, I would have to go to Volvo.
Any ideas Please? :(

stephenevans99
Thursday 31st January 2013, 17:56
May sound silly, but have you checked the exhaust hanger? Wouldn't effect tyre wear though.

silverhorse
Thursday 31st January 2013, 18:52
But also I've noticed the New Rear tyres I put on less than 2 Months ago have worn on the outer edges nearly Bald, I got a 4 wheel alignment when fitted.
Been back to the place that done the Alignment, they said they can't adjust the Rear, I would have to go to Volvo.
Any ideas Please? :(
Something very wrong if tyres are knackered after 2 months. I am sure i have read on here that other guys have had the 4 wheel laser alignment done at places like STS and have never heard that it is a Volvo only job?? I was going to have it done myself.............
I hope you got some money back from your 4 wheel job, as they have now admitted they did not touch the back end?

S60 Dean
Friday 1st February 2013, 17:55
May sound silly, but have you checked the exhaust hanger? Wouldn't effect tyre wear though.

No not yet, but was thinking of checking this myself, but as you did say wouldn't this effect the Tyre wear.
Think I need to go to a proper 4 wheel alignment place, then go from there. ;)

Harvey
Friday 1st February 2013, 19:46
I did see this a while back.
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?46467-My-Wheel-Alignment-Results&p=535479&viewfull=1#post535479
Hope this helps.