PDA

View Full Version : 850 oil consumption.

mr shifter
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 17:06
I have been told normal oil consumption for the 850 t5 is .4l per 625 miles. Correct?

960kg
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 17:30
I have been told normal oil consumption for the 850 t5 is .4l per 625 miles. Correct?

It doesn`t really matter what you have been told as all engines are different as are drivers!

I have only put one cupfull in my V70 T5 with a remap in a year.

It depends how much the motor is tuned or boost you have and how you drive it, thrash it, rev. it, drive it harder when cold ,it all determines how much oil you use and especially what oil you use.

phil850t5
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 17:42
my t5 does not use any oil at all i dont no why your is

mr shifter
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 17:45
Oh, i havent bought it yet. Thats what the guy who owns it has said. Thats an official figure, apparantly. Perhaps it does use some oil, although im told it doesnt smoke on boost or the over run.

phil850t5
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 17:56
Oh, i havent bought it yet. Thats what the guy who owns it has said. Thats an official figure, apparantly. Perhaps it does use some oil, although im told it doesnt smoke on boost or the over run.

is it a 850 t5r or R i have not had one the does use oil

phil850t5
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 17:59
is it a 850 t5r or R i have not had one the does use oil

sorry i see your on about a t5 am running my t5 at 11psi and it has the same oil in it as the day i put it in i would have a very good look around it b4 i bought it

Taz91
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 21:16
Mine uses about that much which does concern me a little, however there is no blue smoke coming from the exhaust as a duff valve stem seal indicator. But I've been told it's not irregular for high mileage 5 cylinders to use this much oil too.

merc85
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 21:23
I had a engine which used around 400ml at around 3,000 miles. I took the head off and ported n polished it, replacing the stem seals at the same time. Now the engine doesnt use any oil at all. mileage is 125,000

There was no smoke on start up or over run,

Madbloke100
Monday 30th September 2013, 11:41
Mine hardly uses any oil, but one do low mileage

claymore
Monday 30th September 2013, 13:19
Mine used 4ltrs in 70 miles yesterday :)

Harvey
Monday 30th September 2013, 16:10
Mine used 4ltrs in 70 miles yesterday :)

I think you know that's not very good,so it is using as 1/2 as much oil as petrol now per mile.
Any ideas where it's came out from yet.

woz
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 22:56
Mine used 4ltrs in 70 miles yesterday :) Mines not quite that bad but deffo got a problem. USes 2l per 1000 miles. drips all over the drive - think a gasket and seals around oil seperator that I cleaned recently .. DOH

No idea relaly where its coming from. Good luck all.

woz
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 22:58

Make sure you drive it, start it from cold, and look for puffs of smoke and heavy breathing after a good thrashing. Check for wet stains on the outside of teh engine and UNDERNEATH!!! get it up on ramps if poss and crawl udner with a torch. Lots of oil probs are simply fixed on these cars, but some coiuld be expensive. Good luck

MoleT-5R
Friday 4th October 2013, 00:53
Mines not quite that bad but deffo got a problem. USes 2l per 1000 miles. drips all over the drive - think a gasket and seals around oil seperator that I cleaned recently .. DOH

No idea relaly where its coming from. Good luck all.

Mine and Jayne's Volvo's used to do the same, both had failed turbo oil return pipe gaskets, changed oil pipe, seal and gasket on both cars and no further problem and no oil consumption

woz
Friday 4th October 2013, 12:54
Mine and Jayne's Volvo's used to do the same, both had failed turbo oil return pipe gaskets, changed oil pipe, seal and gasket on both cars and no further problem and no oil consumption

OK - cheers - that was done on a recent servcce and a LOT of the oil is coming off the front of teh engine, but not above the inlet manf and prob not the head gasket either.
I think I have multoiple probs. For sure cleaning the breather and fitting new pipes helped a lot in terms of smoke out the rear, but I fear turbo oil seals, valve stem seals and quite possibly worn bores, allthough the compression readings seem OK.

Big list of jobbies anyway :>(

I wouldsay to the origininal thread that any measurable oil loss in 1000 miles seems excessive. I think mine did not used to need a top up between oil changes except after some serious hard driving.