Nutternick
Monday 21st January 2013, 21:51
Can a MBC be used on a 2001 V70 T5?

merc85
Monday 21st January 2013, 22:21
Not really that effective apparently, the ecu doesn't like it from what i hear

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st January 2013, 22:22
Is your car already tuned? You can't increase the boost but you may be able to hold onto it a bit longer. ME7 is an on-demand system.

I used one to slightly nudge betsy - but you can achieve the same if you tighten the actuator by 1 turn.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st January 2013, 22:23
Duplicate thread

shepbomb
Monday 21st January 2013, 22:34
Threads merged

Nutternick
Monday 21st January 2013, 22:38
sorry about the duplicate wasnt where would be the best place to post it

Nutternick
Monday 21st January 2013, 22:40
How does it compensate if your taking pressure away with a MBC?

M-R-P
Monday 21st January 2013, 22:52
The ME7 system is supposed to cut the throttle when it sees overboost.

I have an MBC on mine which gives me 16psi for a few seconds. I'm not yet sure why it drops off, probably down to a really cheap eBay MBC but I get no codes, no errors and no throttle cut.

Keep in mind, mine's ex plod and who knows what's been done to it.

16psi is fun tho ;)

Nutternick
Monday 21st January 2013, 23:07
Ok that makes sense (pain in the §§§§ though) might try a couple of turns on the actuator rod and see how it goes

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st January 2013, 23:33
Go half a turn & use a boost gauge if you haven't already got one. We don't want you damaging your engine now.

LiamT4
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 11:04
The ME7 system is supposed to cut the throttle when it sees overboost.

I have an MBC on mine which gives me 16psi for a few seconds. I'm not yet sure why it drops off, probably down to a really cheap eBay MBC but I get no codes, no errors and no throttle cut.

Maybe it is the ecu and its not a sharp cut like on the older cars, but a slower reduction in boost.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 12:23
I've been battling with ME7 for the last 7 years. ME7 is on-demand. You press the accelerator peddle on a manual throttle car - the car has to react to that mechanical input of the butterfly valve opening. On ME7 you press the pedal - it changes position in an potentiometer housed at the top of that pedal. ECU see that change and works everything out and off you go. The butterfly throttle valve in the ETM is controlled by stepper motors, which the ECU controls. The inlet pipework has a pressure sensor on it - which makes fabricating the RIP kit interesting to say the least, but this sees the boost made by the turbo and via the ECU & the boost control solenoid & the wastegate gives you the control loop for boost. I think you get the idea?

An MBC - can only be used to change the profile by which the boost is released - within the confines of the existing map & environmental trimming within that map.
Same effect can be acheived by tightening your actuator. Be careful - as if you go bezerk, you could potentially reach a state where the W/G cannot open sufficiently. One of 2 things may happen. Most likely the ME7 will try to protect itself & go into limp home or you'll bend a rod. ECU will try & fight you with an MBC fitted & may retard ignition & fuel. Not 100% sure.

there are options. Sell the car & buy an earlier model without it - MBC it to death or get your current car mapped. Stock ME7 maps start from as little as 300 quid.

I had 320bhp out of TD04-19T with a few other bits & pieces, from my ME7 C70. ME7 mapping is very smooth & progressive. Some might say too smooth? Personal taste - I'd say - ask M.R.P. - he's been saving for ages. If only posts were pennies, Martin would have had a map by now.

You can rev ME7 longer because it has primative VVT on the exhaust side.

Currently I am moving onto a 400bhp with a garrett GTX conversion. Mapping it may be "interesting". Some say I should just go out and buy a decent car. But where's the fun in that?

Hope this helps.