PDA

View Full Version : Some 'shock-ing' photos.....

JamesT5
Monday 21st January 2013, 18:00
Over the past few days I've had all of my old suspension parts closed away in cardboard boxes and not really paid much attention to them.... until today!

When I finally decided to open up all the boxes and there were some shocks.... (pun intended)! :D Some of the parts didn't look too bad and are probably reuseable as second hand parts for anyone in desperate need, however some parts I noticed are in truely 'shock-ing' condition and in particular the front shock mounts. The strut top bearings look warped, bent and rusty, resembling something dug up from World War 1. One of the lower spring seats in particular looks like it's breaking apart and is seriously weakened, this would almost have certainly been an MOT failure.....

19994 19995 19996 19997 19998 19999 20000

JamesT5
Monday 21st January 2013, 18:06
The struts from the front and rear are cosmetically tatty and I'm able to push them down using two hands and moderate effort, and the rear strut mounts look in pretty good condition, a stark contrast from the front end mountings....

20002 20003 20004 20005 20006 20013 20014

JamesT5
Monday 21st January 2013, 18:11
Suprisingly, the back brake shoes are in pretty good condition and are likely reuseable......

As for the suspension coils, the paint is peeling off them but actually, they don't feel too bad and do still seem pretty solid...

20009 20010 20011 20012

JamesT5
Monday 21st January 2013, 18:19
And finally the Brakes... The discs on the front are just warped and worn down, but the back ones are scored and worn. The calipers are definatley past their best......

20015 20016 20017 20018 20019 20020 20021 20022

So there we are, I know some of you have been waiting to see these photos so I'd be interested to read all the comments.

Regards

James

stephenevans99
Monday 21st January 2013, 18:43
The struts from the front and rear are cosmetically tatty and I'm able to push them down using two hands and moderate effort, and the rear strut mounts look in pretty good condition, a stark contrast from the front end mountings....

If you're looking at getting rid, there's the chap with the T5 powered Saxo who's been looking for some struts.

JamesT5
Monday 21st January 2013, 18:52
If you're looking at getting rid, there's the chap with the T5 powered Saxo who's been looking for some struts.

Silly question, but how will Volvo struts fit a Citreon Saxo..?

M-R-P
Monday 21st January 2013, 18:59
That lot looks knackered mate. The front support plates and spring seats are completly ££££t, the shocks look mullered too (the shaft should force itself out of the strut with about 15kg of force. The springs don't look any worse than the ones I sold on Friday - really tough things those. The callipers could probably be refurbed and sold on at a profit. As for those rear shocks, I've stirred paint with better lol.

In all, that's about 15 quid of scrap you have there mate.

It's nice to see another P2 being brought back from the brink.

Over the next few weeks, you'll start noticing the little differences - the stretch of road you've driven over hundreds of times will feel different or the manhole that used to make the car skip about, now has no effect. Etc.

Enjoy the fruits of your hard earned ;)

stephenevans99
Monday 21st January 2013, 18:59
lol....it's one hell of a project & it looks amazing - for a Saxo

Here we go..... VolvoSaxo Project Thread (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?45078-Hi-heres-my-little-project-%29)

JamesT5
Monday 21st January 2013, 19:17
That lot looks knackered mate. The front support plates and spring seats are completly ££££t, the shocks look mullered too (the shaft should force itself out of the strut with about 15kg of force. The springs don't look any worse than the ones I sold on Friday - really tough things those. The callipers could probably be refurbed and sold on at a profit. As for those rear shocks, I've stirred paint with better lol.

In all, that's about 15 quid of scrap you have there mate.

It's nice to see another P2 being brought back from the brink.

Over the next few weeks, you'll start noticing the little differences - the stretch of road you've driven over hundreds of times will feel different or the manhole that used to make the car skip about, now has no effect. Etc.

Enjoy the fruits of your hard earned ;)

I might see if I can sell on stuff like the coils, the rear mounts and the brake shoes, but I think the struts are totally screwed.

As for the front mounts they look like Tony Robinson has just dug them up on Time Team so I think I'll find the nearest Pikey camp and see if I can make a sale. :D

V70 Graham
Monday 21st January 2013, 22:01
Looking at the pics you ain't half gonna notice the difference !