PDA

View Full Version : HID help

HowHard
Sunday 20th January 2013, 20:00
Hey,

So I'm planning to buy some HIDs for my P1 V70, I've never done this and just wanted to ask a few questions.

Afaik, I should need H7's, can anyone confirm this?

Canbus? Don't even know what it means but is my car canbus? :D

Anything else I should maybe know about buying/fitting HID's to my P1 V70?

Cheers,

H

deathrider311271
Sunday 20th January 2013, 20:05
Hey,

So I'm planning to buy some HIDs for my P1 V70, I've never done this and just wanted to ask a few questions.

Afaik, I should need H7's, can anyone confirm this? Correct altho if your using standard headlampd get H7R bulbs

Canbus? Don't even know what it means but is my car canbus? :D No canbus on the P1 cars

Cheers,

H

answers in bold above

Volvostorm
Sunday 20th January 2013, 20:06
You don't have a CANBUS system

H7's sound right to me

Santa
Sunday 20th January 2013, 20:07

Be really really careful, secure the ballasts well (I can show you a pic of one that had been dragging along the floor) and make sure no wire contacts come in contact with the body or yourself!

HowHard
Sunday 20th January 2013, 20:14
answers in bold above

Cheers m8y! Sorry but what do you mean by if standard headlamps get H7R bulbs?

HowHard
Sunday 20th January 2013, 20:16

Be really really careful, secure the ballasts well (I can show you a pic of one that had been dragging along the floor) and make sure no wire contacts come in contact with the body or yourself!

Awesome thanks, I'll make sure they're secure and try not to shock myself, definitely just saved me from letting them touch the body too :)

Volvostorm
Sunday 20th January 2013, 20:18
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7R-35w-ULTRA-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-ALL-COLOURS-/370257575637?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5635123ed5

H7R have an anti-glare shield for use in non-projector type headlights

HowHard
Sunday 20th January 2013, 20:22
nice1, thanks guys!

sartain87
Sunday 20th January 2013, 21:46
You don't have a CANBUS system

H7's sound right to me

You sure? My phase 1 V70 threw a fault code up on my old HIDs til I got the canbus kit

Spooky
Monday 24th February 2014, 14:29
Did you go with the canbus kit or not mate? I am about to do mine and I have a P1 V70 as well :)

mikealder
Monday 24th February 2014, 18:00
The phase one x70 has bulb current drawn monitoring for the bulb failure indication, if the HID units you purchase draw less current than the standard bulb intended for the car you might get a bulb failure indication on the dash. I fitted HIDs in my 2000 phase one V70 with no issues so sometimes it simply works. H7 HID bulbs are for use in projector lens headlights (aftermarket addition to the car which is what I use) the H7R are intended for use with standard headlights that contain a reflector assembly needing the bulb in a specific location (the focal point of the reflector) BUT the lens of the headlight can still scatter the light if the front glass of the headlight has a beam focusing/ beam steering effect within it, plain clear glass lenses are a better option when you combine HIDs with standard headlights - Mike

M-R-P
Monday 24th February 2014, 18:07
the quick and cheap way round the bulb warning is to fit a 50w load resistor across the power cables to the ballast. you can then use the cheap 16quid eBay HIDs.

mikealder
Monday 24th February 2014, 18:38
the quick and cheap way round the bulb warning is to fit a 50w load resistor across the power cables to the ballast. you can then use the cheap 16quid eBay HIDs.

The correct way to fit load resistors is to measure the current drawn by the HID kit then work out what that equates to in Watts (W=IxV) then deduct this value from that of a standard bulb (55W) you then calculate the actual resistive value needed to top the current drawn through the wire up to the original 55W value.

Simply adding a 50W resistive load to the lighting circuit will overload the wiring as the HID kit could be drawing 35W in the first place - Mike

M-R-P
Monday 24th February 2014, 19:45
been fine for 18 months tho Mike and it's better than the 100w bulbs I had in there before :)

Spooky
Monday 24th February 2014, 23:14
thanks guys. I am thinking of going with these? Any issues you envisage? Also, do i need to do anything about the full beam or is that part and parcel of the main lamp?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251357343136?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Spooky
Monday 24th February 2014, 23:36
Also how do I tell if I have projection lens' fitted or not?

stribo
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 07:07
Also how do I tell if I have projection lens' fitted or not?

Standard headlight on the left, projector on the right.

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo174/RSCougar/Volvo%20C70/WP_000435.jpg (http://s373.photobucket.com/user/RSCougar/media/Volvo%20C70/WP_000435.jpg.html)

Spooky
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 08:26
Ahhh right. Yeah defo standard on mine lol

Spooky
Saturday 16th August 2014, 20:30
finally got round to doing this and fitted the main beam ones.... MUCH brighter!!!

I am now doing the fog lights...what a pain in the arse this is LOL!

Had to chop the lamp holders up to get them in.. which i managed to do first time :) just gotta sort the wiring out now in the morning. anyone ever done their fogs?

If so where did you mount the ballasts?

M-R-P
Saturday 16th August 2014, 20:41
I screwed the ballasts to the horizontal plastic that reinforces the lower valence. (P2 V70)

You need to make sure you stop any possible water ingress... One of mine went bang :(

stribo
Saturday 16th August 2014, 21:01
finally got round to doing this and fitted the main beam ones.... MUCH brighter!!!

I am now doing the fog lights...what a pain in the arse this is LOL!

Had to chop the lamp holders up to get them in.. which i managed to do first time :) just gotta sort the wiring out now in the morning. anyone ever done their fogs?

If so where did you mount the ballasts?

:worthless:

Spooky
Sunday 17th August 2014, 00:21
:worthless:

LOL..... will post them up tomorrow dude once i have the fogs in and working :)

Spooky
Sunday 17th August 2014, 00:23
I screwed the ballasts to the horizontal plastic that reinforces the lower valence. (P2 V70)

You need to make sure you stop any possible water ingress... One of mine went bang :(

will do buddy. i intend to put some silcon sealer just on the end where the cables come out of the back of the bits i have dremeled off :) unless you have a better solution bearing in mind mines a p1.. not sure if there is any difference in the housings or not?

Spooky
Sunday 17th August 2014, 11:53
just doing the wiring... on one side i have 1 black and 1 orange/green wire and on the other a black/brown and orange/green. do i take it black is -ve and the other is +ve?

Spooky
Sunday 17th August 2014, 17:12
Pic of the new HID's.... spent all day under the old girl on and off... but she is finally done :)

Cant wait to see them in the dark lol

stribo
Sunday 17th August 2014, 19:20
Good work, you'll definitely notice the difference at night.

Spooky
Sunday 17th August 2014, 20:29
Good work, you'll definitely notice the difference at night.

i hope so pal. the Xenon's i had in where pretty crap to be honest and i struggled to see anything!

whats the legality on these things out of interest? does anyone know? some say they fail MOT's some say that its not been brought in yet. Others have said the cops will have a field day with me etc etc LOL. Or is this all just old wives tails at the moment :)

stribo
Sunday 17th August 2014, 20:39
i hope so pal. the Xenon's i had in where pretty crap to be honest and i struggled to see anything!

whats the legality on these things out of interest? does anyone know? some say they fail MOT's some say that its not been brought in yet. Others have said the cops will have a field day with me etc etc LOL. Or is this all just old wives tails at the moment :)

To the letter of the law, they're an MOT failure, because you don't have self levelling headlights, though if you've got self levelling suspension you'll be fine. TBH the police won't be interested unless they're miles out of adjustment. My C70 has gone through 2 M.O.T.s with them fitted with no issues.

Spooky
Sunday 17th August 2014, 20:56
To the letter of the law, they're an MOT failure, because you don't have self levelling headlights, though if you've got self levelling suspension you'll be fine. TBH the police won't be interested unless they're miles out of adjustment. My C70 has gone through 2 M.O.T.s with them fitted with no issues.

just done some research and they will only fail if the car has self leveling or wipers fitted and they are not working :)

This is a direct reply from VOSA to someone in 2012, the law hasnt been amended since then, who questioned the fitting of HID's

basically if the lumens of the lamp is over 2000 and if its got washers and leveling along with HID's and they dont work it fails. If the car doesnt and as they cannot tell what lumens the lamps are running at, they then cant fail it as they have to take the lowest criteria into account :)

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for your email enquiry dated 6th January 2012, concerning the
above.
On the basis of the information you have provided, it would appear that
there would be no problem with the vehicle passing its MOT in 2012. Please
note that as we cannot see the vehicle, we can only advise in general
terms.
Section 1.7 of the Private Passenger and Light Commercial Vehicle
inspection manual gives the general requirements for headlights (eg similar
output from the lights, colours, etc) and states that where washers or
self-levelling systems are fitted on HID lamps they must work.
HID lamps that have an output of less than 2000 Lumens do not need headlamp
levelling or washing.
It is also not possible for an MOT tester to determine whether or not a
particular lamp is more than 2000 Lumens or not. The MOT test therefore
uses the lowest criteria that can realistically be applied; so if a
particular vehicle is fitted with a headlamp levelling or washing system,
then we consider it logical to assume that it requires it by law and
therefore it must work.

Harvey
Sunday 17th August 2014, 22:18
just done some research and they will only fail if the car has self leveling or wipers fitted and they are not working :)

This is a direct reply from VOSA to someone in 2012, the law hasnt been amended since then, who questioned the fitting of HID's

basically if the lumens of the lamp is over 2000 and if its got washers and leveling along with HID's and they dont work it fails. If the car doesnt and as they cannot tell what lumens the lamps are running at, they then cant fail it as they have to take the lowest criteria into account :)

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for your email enquiry dated 6th January 2012, concerning the
above.
On the basis of the information you have provided, it would appear that
there would be no problem with the vehicle passing its MOT in 2012. Please
note that as we cannot see the vehicle, we can only advise in general
terms.
Section 1.7 of the Private Passenger and Light Commercial Vehicle
inspection manual gives the general requirements for headlights (eg similar
output from the lights, colours, etc) and states that where washers or
self-levelling systems are fitted on HID lamps they must work.
HID lamps that have an output of less than 2000 Lumens do not need headlamp
levelling or washing.
It is also not possible for an MOT tester to determine whether or not a
particular lamp is more than 2000 Lumens or not. The MOT test therefore
uses the lowest criteria that can realistically be applied; so if a
particular vehicle is fitted with a headlamp levelling or washing system,
then we consider it logical to assume that it requires it by law and
therefore it must work.

I think they missed one very important thing.

HID is only legal if the headlight unit is correctly 'E' marked. Halogen headlight units and Xenon HID units have different 'E' marks. The only way for an HID kit to be road legal is if the whole headlight unit is replaced with one specifically designed for HID or the existing headlight unit is reassessed for compliance and assigned a new 'E' mark. As you can imagine, this is vastly inconvenient and expensive. In short, unless you take steps to do all of this then your vehicle will not be road legal.

Spooky
Monday 18th August 2014, 23:24
I think they missed one very important thing.

HID is only legal if the headlight unit is correctly 'E' marked. Halogen headlight units and Xenon HID units have different 'E' marks. The only way for an HID kit to be road legal is if the whole headlight unit is replaced with one specifically designed for HID or the existing headlight unit is reassessed for compliance and assigned a new 'E' mark. As you can imagine, this is vastly inconvenient and expensive. In short, unless you take steps to do all of this then your vehicle will not be road legal.

Where is the info on the E mark dude?