PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Sensor

jonb
Saturday 19th January 2013, 09:15
Hi All,
New to posting here so thanks in advance for any help. I was wondering if anyone knew where was best I could order Bosch parts from? My 54 S40 T5 has been suffering from stuttering and stalling, not delivering fuel even when foots to the floor. It died on me over Christmas whilst in Newcastle and was fitted with a new fuel pump, but it still had the issue. Been to Marshall Volvo in Peterborough yesterday and the Master Tech said it had no codes active but a couple of old ones regarding fuel pressure sensor. They very nicely Valeted the car and let me off without any payment, but still don't want to get hammered by them for replacing FPS. I've found online that a few people have had issues with the original going bad and swapping to a Land Rover Bosch FPS which I've found on LRDirect. Anyone had the same issue and had it replaced? Costs etc?

Cheers,
Jon

jonb
Saturday 19th January 2013, 10:35
Out of interest I just called Marshall Volvo for a Part Price and I've been quoted £192 plus VAT, which with their fitting will probably bring it up to a princely £300 or so. LRDirect price for the Part, £44.

Ahem.........

jonb
Saturday 26th January 2013, 10:27
Right, update on the issue.

Ordered the part from Land Rover, turned up with VOLVO stamped on it.....
I wasn't angry, Volvo were just trying to make 400% profit. Anyhow, it turned out to be relatively simple to change.

Ran the fuel system dry, (fuel pump fuse out, turn it over, let it idle and die, try turning over again a couple of times) and removed the two 25 Torx screws holding in the engine cover (left hand side only).

Removed the connection from the FPR, and put down absorbent towels either side of the fuel rail in case of any leftover fuel. Unscrewed the 20 Torx screw holding the FPR in, give it a jiggle and it should pop right out. New FPR only has one bolt hole, unlike the one in the car which has two but the second is unused.

Lube up the washer on the new FPR and pop it back in, align the hole and replace the Torx bolt. Now re-assemble in reverse order, remembering to replace the fuse at the end.

Relatively simple job, took about 40 mins, and that was only because it was irritatingly fiddly!! Any issues with stuttering or stalling that isn't PEM related I'd change this straight away, especially for £55 instead of Volvo's hideous prices!!

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 14:33
...........Ran the fuel system dry, (fuel pump fuse out, turn it over, let it idle and die, try turning over again a couple of times)..........

bit extreme mate. All you have to do is depressurize the fuel rail by pressing in the shraeder valve and then fit the part.

Anyway, well done on a massive saving and good photos to boot!

Whats the part number from LR?

stribo
Monday 28th January 2013, 14:50
bit extreme mate. All you have to do is depressurize the fuel rail by pressing in the shraeder valve and then fit the part.

Anyway, well done on a massive saving and good photos to boot!

Whats the part number from LR?

I'm guessing the part number that's on the box in the photo. ;)

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 28th January 2013, 15:06

u just cheered me up

LeeT5
Monday 28th January 2013, 16:13

well ££££ me! I wasn't even looking. TBH i didn't look at the photos.
Ta.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 11:53
i memo'd the PN for reference.