PDA

View Full Version : Mot fail :-(

shepbomb
Friday 18th January 2013, 20:30
Well the car had the MOT earlier, and FAILED on the NSF Lower Ball Joint having excessive play and on the same part of the car the brake pad was crumbling :-( need to get this snow out the way and get the work done, so I can book in for the retest, on the bright side the tester commented on how impressive the condition of the vehicle was apart from the above exceptions.

t5 pete
Friday 18th January 2013, 20:37
Not much then a hours work and all will be well

JamesT5
Friday 18th January 2013, 20:38
Well the car had the MOT earlier, and FAILED on the NSF Lower Ball Joint having excessive play and on the same part of the car the brake pad was crumbling :-( need to get this snow out the way and get the work done, so I can book in for the retest, on the bright side the tester commented on how impressive the condition of the vehicle was apart from the above exceptions.

Nice one, well Ball Joints are about £20 and Brake pads about the same so there's not too much to do. The only thing is Volvo designed the ball joint on the later models so it is splined on the hub assembly... swines! That requires a garage or a good home mechanic with a huge set of tools to do the job.

I can't wait to see the MOT Testers face when he (I assume it will be a 'he'), sees the condition of mine now all the new bits are fitted. Nice when you get a positive comment like that as you did, from a tester isn't it!

Regards

James

volvokid
Friday 18th January 2013, 20:44
It's good when they comment on the condition of your car, it makes it more rewarding doesn't it? I had a few comments about mine this week and I just thought to myself they should see the saffy lol. Hope you get it sorted out, there is nothing worse than working out in this weather.

JamesT5
Friday 18th January 2013, 20:46
The guy at National commented on how straight my car was the other day, and that was BEFORE I had all the new bits fitted. Kind of makes all the hard work and effort worth it doesn't it? ;)

volvokid
Friday 18th January 2013, 20:53
The guy at National commented on how straight my car was the other day, and that was BEFORE I had all the new bits fitted. Kind of makes all the hard work and effort worth it doesn't it? ;)

It really does, Adrienne told me if my head got any bigger it would explode when she said check out those two anoraks drooling over your car haha. That's why I like to be different with my car choices, I can't believe how much R's and T5s I've seen down here though, more than I would see in a year up with me I would think.

shepbomb
Friday 18th January 2013, 21:07
Just speaking to pete there, and the ball joint consists of new wishbone :-) call VOLVO in the morning and get some price

Kingsford G
Friday 18th January 2013, 21:11
Welcome to the club mate,mine failed mainly on brakes as rears only 20%efficient and 30% imbalance on the front.Hope the weather improves for u mate and u get it done.

t5 pete
Friday 18th January 2013, 21:16
yep get the stuff ordered

shepbomb
Friday 18th January 2013, 21:19
In the morning pete, all will be ordered
can do it next friday morning in the outlaws garage
straight down for retest
yorkshire meet on sunday
HAPPY DAYS

stevie69
Saturday 19th January 2013, 18:19
git..

shepbomb
Saturday 19th January 2013, 18:30
git..

whys that stevie..

shepbomb
Saturday 26th January 2013, 09:49
Wee I did all the work yesterday and now I can't get my car off the garden for the retest, damn snow

stevie69
Saturday 26th January 2013, 10:00
jealous..still no joy finding another one.sure iv got a wishbone where the balljoints fine but the bushes are knackered.was going to stick poly bushes in it.can have it if its any good to you..

shepbomb
Saturday 26th January 2013, 10:10
I got one from volvo stevie it was only 70 quid :-) thanks for the offer though, still got loads to do, got an r spoiler and bumper due to be resprayed

phil850t5
Saturday 26th January 2013, 10:30
my car went down on the same thing ball joint and had to get the full wishbone but at £100 all in i did think that was good for a 17 year old car

t5 pete
Saturday 26th January 2013, 10:46
Heres what can happen when a ball joint is §§§§§§ed
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/IMAG0502.jpg
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/IMAG0503.jpg
Always buy new

shepbomb
Monday 28th January 2013, 21:07
MOT PASSED :-) 13 Month ticket

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th January 2013, 23:46
more good news - you can have my old racing d/p