PDA

View Full Version : 850 glove box won't open

james
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 18:35
hello hope you all had a good xmas and new year!?

just a quick one = went to open the glove box and it wont open the mechanism is broken. is there a way to open without forcing it off and getting a replacement

MA'R'K
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 18:48
that old chestnut!!

I removed the trim and drilled a small hole in the center of the lid, then you can poke something in to release the mech (and fix it!!)

There are plenty of instuctions on line for this....will try find a link!

james
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 19:00
that old chestnut!!

I removed the trim and drilled a small hole in the center of the lid, then you can poke something in to release the mech (and fix it!!)

cheers for the reply i was just going to force it off and get another but wondered if anybody else has had the same problem , any chance of the measurements for the hole to stop me peppering the facia lol

james
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 19:04
that old chestnut!!

when you said you removed the trim do you mean the dash top? i did think of removing that but i cant be arsed faffing round in dark to do it now

MA'R'K
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 19:12
have a read of this.........

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fix-a-stuck-glove-box-tutorial.html

james
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 19:15
cheers matey :)

MA'R'K
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 19:17
...sorry, misleading when I said trim as not all cars have it. Mine had a walnut trim which I had to peel back to drill this..didn't need to though as I decided it was gross and removed all the walnut from the car!!

james
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 19:21
i take it i swap the measurements over with the diogram bein a left hooker ;)

MA'R'K
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 19:22
yep...I did that...and it turns out it's the same if I remember correctly - bang on center!

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 21:15
Had a problem twice with my 850 glovebox. The first time one part of the latch broke, then another part broke the second time. I used a wire coathanger to reach up from the bottom of the glovebox lid and open the catch at the top, bit fiddly but saves drilling holes.

You can repair the latch if you DIY savvy

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 21:29
Had that happen on both 850's we've had, it was a broken pin on the mechanism, which I drilled out and tapped and thread locked a short length of threaded stud in to, easy repair and still working today

Madbloke100
Monday 30th September 2013, 11:42
Happened to me couldn't get open had to break the door, got a new one from eBay and swapped the lock around. Saves time