PDA

View Full Version : Ex plod?

MRTREE
Sunday 13th January 2013, 12:25
I currently have an 850 t5 glt but i have been after a phase 2 v70 ive been speaking to a guy with an 02 plate ex plod an he wants to do a deal the ex plod isnt running right atvthe moment and isnt boosting properly anyone know what that could be? Ive been told airflow mass sensor?

Also apart from the usual phase to problems any thing i should look out for with it being an ex plod?

Thanks.

Kingsford G
Sunday 13th January 2013, 12:29
Most likely to be ETM problems.I found a solution for that £175 instead of £700.Martin will be along soon,he got an ex-plod too.Make sure the clutch and flywheel are good as they r very costly.

MRTREE
Sunday 13th January 2013, 12:34
Thanks etm? Might sound stupid but what is that?

Kingsford G
Sunday 13th January 2013, 12:43
Thanks etm? Might sound stupid but what is that?

Electronic throttle body

MRTREE
Sunday 13th January 2013, 12:49
Ok thanks can you get them used?

JamesT5
Sunday 13th January 2013, 12:58
Ok thanks can you get them used?

Yes but the advice is to buy a Bosch unit as they're more reliable.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Sunday 13th January 2013, 13:45
I really, really, really suggest avoiding anything before 2004. Ex plod especially as there's a pretty good chance it'll be a money pit. Keep your 850 mate, if you really want a P2, wait till a good post-53 plate comes along.

There are good early P2 cars about but if you say this one isn't running right, you're jumping into problems from the outset.

MRTREE
Sunday 13th January 2013, 14:01
I really, really, really suggest avoiding anything before 2004. Ex plod especially as there's a pretty good chance it'll be a money pit. Keep your 850 mate, if you really want a P2, wait till a good post-53 plate comes along.

There are good early P2 cars about but if you say this one isn't running right, you're jumping into problems from the outset.

Have you had problems with yours?

M-R-P
Sunday 13th January 2013, 14:19
Speedo failed - 750 quid. Most of the suspension was shot, alarm shot, clutch and flywheel was 1100+ interior knackered, roof leaked, 5 different shades of white, crash damage... Post 2004 had all the gremlins fixed and is a better bet mate.

Kingsford G
Sunday 13th January 2013, 14:55
Speedo failed - 750 quid. Most of the suspension was shot, alarm shot, clutch and flywheel was 1100+ interior knackered, roof leaked, 5 different shades of white, crash damage... Post 2004 had all the gremlins fixed and is a better bet mate.

£750 for the speedo?auch

MRTREE
Sunday 13th January 2013, 16:46
it will be my project anyway so spending a bit of cash isnt an issue i just dont want too much to deal with

silverhorse
Sunday 13th January 2013, 17:03

Yeah, but apart from that............................:wink:

MRTREE
Sunday 13th January 2013, 17:09
has anyone else had a bad experiance with them?

M-R-P
Sunday 13th January 2013, 17:16
Don't get me wrong, when they're sorted, they're brilliant but the earlier cars can/will be prone to a lot of problems you won't get from a slightly newer car that costs only a few quid more.
Mines been my project for 2 years now (see view) and I'm glad I did it ;)

JamesT5
Sunday 13th January 2013, 17:21
Don't get me wrong, when they're sorted, they're brilliant but the earlier cars can/will be prone to a lot of problems you won't get from a slightly newer car that costs only a few quid more.
Mines been my project for 2 years now (see view) and I'm glad I did it ;)

Ditto, mine has been a 'project' since I brought it and I always feel like the next little issue is just around the corner. As you say Martin, good cars when they are sorted!

t5 pete
Sunday 13th January 2013, 17:25

Very wise words martin
Any one who takes on a p2 as a project needs a good wallet and knloedge of them unless you want to spend even more getting some one to fix it for you.
I would reccomend getting one that is fully up and running and with no problems and has had all the upgrades as by the time you have done you would have been able to buy two and you will hate the bloody thing every time some thing goes wrong.
The 850's are brilliant mortors either stick with that or shell some extra cash out for a good p2

MRTREE
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 15:07
Well i Bit the bullet and went for it Its a V70 P2 188k with 11months test 5 months tax like i said it has a few teething problems the revs dont settle straight away and its boosting at 0.2 if that it wants to boost more but feels like somethings holding it back not sure what it is wondering what you guys think?

other than that and the crappy light eyebrows its a decent motor i will get some pics up when i have some time.

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 15:16
Brave man but good luck with it. If there's anything I can help with, just ask.

First thing I would do is check all the hoses and pipes, maybe replace the vac lines. Take all the big boost hoses off and check for leaks and replace using new jubilee clips. Vacuum test the recirc valve as that could be the source of the boost loss.
Check to see what throttle is on it - if it's a marelli, that'll be the source of the idle problem and possibly part of the boost problem too. Try and source a Bosch unit to replace it (will probably need recoding but I've heard you can plug them in, leave the ignition on for an hour and it'll be fine).

What is the speedo cluster like? any weird twitches or displays?

MRTREE
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 15:28
no weired twitches it seems fine, thanks for the info i will check these things out this week and let you know how i get on.

MRTREE
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 15:29
Oh the guy i got it from said that it has a rica 310 map on it could this be faulty and causing the problem??

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 15:38
Rica 310 map isn't for the P2 mate. Perhaps it has a Rica map, look for a sticker on the ecu, that's a giveaway.

Unfortunately, you can't just swap ecus like you could with the P1, it won't work.

I would look at the physical stuff before questioning the ecu, usually, if the ecu fails, the car won't start at all.

MRTREE
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 15:39
But could that be the problem and sorry he said a rica map 310Bhp.

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 15:58
I doubt it. If there's an underlying problem, the map will accentuate it but I doubt it would be the map itself.

I doubt the 310bhp figure is right too, the stated figures are always a bit enthusiastic. On the standard B5234t3 engine, 280 bhp would be a fair estimate, providing everything is in order.

Something else to check would be the wastegate actuator - they can seize, usually in a part open position. Grab the actuator rod and see if it moves (should be quite strong but move smoothly)

stribo
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 16:57
Also if you can, try plugging it into a code reader, and see if that throws anything up.

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 16:58
Oh yeah, that too lol :D

ROZER
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 20:31
Rica 310 map isn't for the P2 mate. Perhaps it has a Rica map, look for a sticker on the ecu, that's a giveaway.

Unfortunately, you can't just swap ecus like you could with the P1, it won't work.

I would look at the physical stuff before questioning the ecu, usually, if the ecu fails, the car won't start at all.

i have an s60 t5 p2 and i have a rica 310 stage 2 map to go with my ferrita downpipe and custom exhaust . if you dont have a 3 inch dp then i would think it would be a stage 1.not the 310 map.