PDA

View Full Version : Relocating dizzy on a T5

jmc
Thursday 10th January 2013, 15:38
Hi there.

I've seen a vid on YouTube of a Volvo 760 (I think) running a T5 engine. The bit that interested me was the guy had the dizzy attached to the front of the head, not the rear. Sorry, for some reason I can't link to the vid from my phone.

Anyone have any ideas how this has been done? Are there kits available or parts from other Volvos that can be used?

TIA
Cheers
James

p fandango
Thursday 10th January 2013, 15:57
Sounds like a lot of effort for nothing tbh. Why go to all that work when you can run coil-on-plug with a stand alone ecu & do away with the dizzy altogether

jmc
Friday 11th January 2013, 17:43
Standalone with coil on plug was always the plan, although being able to use the standard ecu and dizzy would make things more simple, provided I can physically fit the dizzy in. Having seen the vid of the T5 engine with the dizzy up front just made me think.

Standalone would be nice, but possibly a bit over kill as the power levels I'm aiming for are quite moddest and from what I've read, the standard ecu is more than capable. Factor in the cost of a standalone unit, wiring, mapping etc, if relocating the dizzy is possible, its something I will consider after pricing up both options.

Having said that, standalone may be the only option after a trip to my local engine guru today. He happens to have a 5cyl Focus ST engine that could be for sale and although I didn't get chance to look at it much, I don't expect there is provision for adding a dizzy to one!
I just need to do some research regarding which is the stronger unit - did Ford use stronger internals or better head design for example, and then weigh up the costs between an almost new Ford lump (less than 5k miles) or a 150k+ Volvo lump with a possible refresh/rebuild...

Bloody toys/projects! lol

James

smithy
Friday 11th January 2013, 18:25
Standalone with coil on plug was always the plan, although being able to use the standard ecu and dizzy would make things more simple, provided I can physically fit the dizzy in. Having seen the vid of the T5 engine with the dizzy up front just made me think.

Standalone would be nice, but possibly a bit over kill as the power levels I'm aiming for are quite moddest and from what I've read, the standard ecu is more than capable. Factor in the cost of a standalone unit, wiring, mapping etc, if relocating the dizzy is possible, its something I will consider after pricing up both options.

Having said that, standalone may be the only option after a trip to my local engine guru today. He happens to have a 5cyl Focus ST engine that could be for sale and although I didn't get chance to look at it much, I don't expect there is provision for adding a dizzy to one!
I just need to do some research regarding which is the stronger unit - did Ford use stronger internals or better head design for example, and then weigh up the costs between an almost new Ford lump (less than 5k miles) or a 150k+ Volvo lump with a possible refresh/rebuild...

Bloody toys/projects! lol

James

Or just uprate the redblock because later redblocks can take 350whp no probs and not even cough at that lol.and that is on standard rods and pistons too.

jmc
Friday 11th January 2013, 21:05
Isn't the redblock the 4 cyl engine?

Not what I'm after I'm afraid, going for 5 cyls :)

smithy
Friday 11th January 2013, 21:55
Isn't the redblock the 4 cyl engine?

Not what I'm after I'm afraid, going for 5 cyls :)

Yes mate it is a 4 cylinder but if I was going to whiteblock a rwd I would pick the t6 motor

jmc
Saturday 12th January 2013, 11:21
Fair enough mate. I've done 6cyl engines for the last 10yrs, time to do something a little different :)

t5 pete
Saturday 12th January 2013, 12:00
Any one got the link to the video

jmc
Saturday 12th January 2013, 20:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giPPtxUOMKU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giPPtxUOMKU

I think that's the link, unless my phone has gone nuts again!

Engine shot about 1min in.

barkster1971
Sunday 13th January 2013, 10:47
I have a wasted spark system made by Karl Buchka off Turbobricks, I believe he's making a whiteblock one soon. Worth giving him an email.