PDA

View Full Version : How do I fit a 3" throttle body???

timbo
Thursday 10th January 2013, 12:44
Just fishing for help in fitting a 3" 960 throttle body to my 854R(96), after scouring the forum I've got a general idea of what's involved(rebore inlet manifold to 3"/extend throttle position sensor cable) but need more meat on the bones and know how much people on here know so thought I'd ask the folks in the know for a what's involved guide. Any advice is better than non so don't be shy, thanks, Tim.

p fandango
Thursday 10th January 2013, 13:23
that really is it tbh, obviously you need to also change the diameter of the pipe going onto the throttle body. As for boring the manifold i used a flap sander, very quick & made a nice equal hole. I'll admit being lazy i didn't take my manifold off, i simply stuffed it with rags & cleaned it out once done

M-R-P
Thursday 10th January 2013, 13:28
that really is it tbh, obviously you need to also change the diameter of the pipe going onto the throttle body. As for boring the manifold i used a flap sander, very quick & made a nice equal hole. I'll admit being lazy i didn't take my manifold off, i simply stuffed it with rags & cleaned it out once done

Animal :uglyhamme

oblark
Thursday 10th January 2013, 13:37
When I did mine I took the manifold off to open up the hole, washed it out some water then put it in the dishwasher.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 10th January 2013, 13:50
... I didn't bother extending the cable. I dismantled the butterfly and rotated the shaft 180degrees giving me the original position back..

timbo
Thursday 10th January 2013, 13:50
Thanks Pedro!!!!!!! Hahaha!!!! You are the Fred Dibnah of this forum, it ain't pretty but by hek it works! If I left my manifold on I'd get swarf in a cylinder! How about the throttle linkage?

p fandango
Thursday 10th January 2013, 13:58
If I left my manifold on I'd get swarf in a cylinder!
i wouldn't recommend leaving it on, i just couldn't be bothered. Anything that got into the cylinders would be blown out the exhaust eventually anyway lol

How about the throttle linkage?
the linkage is exactly the same. On the 960 throttle the TPS (throttle position sensor) is rotated 90degrees which is why the loom needs extending, but if you do as Judge has done it sounds like you can use the 850 shaft & have the TPS in your original position

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/info/throttlebody2.jpg

timbo
Thursday 10th January 2013, 14:07
Thank you for that info chaps(and Pedro)!!!!! Your help is much appreciated!!!!!!!