PDA

View Full Version : Atmospheric Dump Valve with RIP?

White_T5
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 12:59
Hi all,

Hope everyone has had a good Christmas and New Year.

So Santa was very generous this year and gave me a Forge atmospheric dump valve but my 94 T5 has the original RIP kit fitted to it and I'm a bit unsure about where to fit the DV.

I've seen some images with them being fitted to the pipe that goes over the top of the engine but want to check with you all first before I start making pipe work for it.

Any and all advice very much appreciated!

Cheers

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 13:08
OTT pipe will be fine. You'll need a blanking plate for the original turbo. The control vac pipe for the original recirc BOV will then connect to the atmospheric BOV.

White_T5
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 15:43
OTT pipe will be fine. You'll need a blanking plate for the original turbo. The control vac pipe for the original recirc BOV will then connect to the atmospheric BOV.

Great thanks!

p fandango
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 15:45
you really want the dump valve as close to the throttle body as possible

T5frankie
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 17:12
as pedro says it needs to be in that pipe that comes off the throttle body

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/My%20cars/20121013_173431.jpg

White_T5
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 17:18
you really want the dump valve as close to the throttle body as possible

How best do I do that with the RIP?

I have seen you say that about dump valves on other post but after looking at pipe work on the RIP not sure how best to go about it :confused:

T5frankie
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 17:20
How best do I do that with the RIP?

I have seen you say that about dump valves on other post but after looking at pipe work on the RIP not sure how best to go about it :confused:

there is a photo above

M-R-P
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 17:22
The rip goes from the turbo to the top of the intercooler then from the bottom of the intercooler to the throttle. put the BOV on the pipe that goes to the throttle, as close to the throttle as you can get it. You can see frankie's in the pic - with the blue vac hose coming off it.

White_T5
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 17:24
there is a photo above

Thanks t5frankie, was way to slow replying to p fandango!

Just to make sure I get it in the right place, which position, red box or blue?

Nice looking engine bay by the way!!

p fandango
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 17:28
Thanks t5frankie, was way to slow replying to p fandango!

Just to make sure I get it in the right place, which position, red box or blue?

Nice looking engine bay by the way!!
it'll be best if you can get it onto the blue jubilee, but doubt a small distance like that will make much difference

oblark
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 17:47
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u433/oblark/volvo%20850%20t5/IMAG0173.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 00:13
There are merits for fitting the BOV close to the turbo or close to the throttle.

White_T5
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 13:09
There are merits for fitting the BOV close to the turbo or close to the throttle.

Hi Wobbly Dave, interesting! What are merits for each if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 14:15
Having the BOV close to the throttle plate on a closed butterfly valve (the throttle itself) is supposed to improve throttle response by having less air backing up against the butterfly on the trailing throttle. Getting that mass of air in the pipe work moving again may take marginally longer.

Others say that it's better to put it as close to turbo as possible so that the BOV is venting hot air rather than post-intercooler cold air, so that the inlet pipes after the intercooler are still filled with cool air.

I've just put mine on the OTT pipe because I am using a recirc valve or CBV which is different again. Reason being - it closest to where the recirc was on my 19T, there's more room and it was where Elliot has his TIAL fitted on his 854.

Gonna get flamed now. INCOMING!!

smithy
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 14:29
Close to the throttle body is best but it works wether you put the bov on the inlet or the out let of the intercooler.

960kg
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 15:45

I think that is a cool looking and uncluttered functioning engine compartment, quite the best i have seen.

p fandango
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 15:48

I think that is a cool looking and uncluttered functioning engine compartment, quite the best i have seen.
but please get a proper battery strap lol

960kg
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 15:49
Others say that it's better to put it as close to turbo as possible so that the BOV is venting hot air rather than post-intercooler cold air, so that the inlet pipes after the intercooler are still filled with cool air.

That is where i believe it should be, getting rid of the hot air and keeping the cool. After all that is where dam nigh the original is!

oblark
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 16:43
but please get a proper battery strap lol

It's functional and works :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 17:05
The look of Oblark's engine bay is only surpassed by the noises that come from it ;)

p fandango
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 19:19
It's functional and works :)
oh i know they work lol

http://imageshack.us/a/img813/1192/engine3.jpg