PDA

View Full Version : Powerflex Engine Mount (Top)

JamesT5
Monday 7th January 2013, 21:02
Hi

Just a couple of questions on a Powerflex Upper Engine Mount.....

The mount I'm referring to is the one that is right on top of the engine as indicated by the black and yellow arrows in the attatched image.

1) How easy is it for a mechanically inept person such as myself to fit the powerflex engine bush

2) Do I need any special tools

3) Is there anything I need to be careful of in particular.

Many thanks.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Monday 7th January 2013, 21:56
Easy mate.
Undo the bolt and remove it.
Losen the bolt at the other end of the frame (4" behind) you should be able to push the old bush out by hand.
Fit the new bush and refit the bolt.
Don't forget to tighten everything back up.

You'll notice more engine noise in the cabin, especially when the A/C is on. This can be easily solved by fitting the powerflex strut brace tensioners (£18)

Harvey
Monday 7th January 2013, 22:14
Is the old rubber round or square I thing the powerflex one is only for the round type mount.

M-R-P
Monday 7th January 2013, 22:49
Good point Harvey - that's a square one (and should never fail) an old style round mount would be required to accomodate the powerflex bush.

Harvey
Monday 7th January 2013, 23:30
Good point Harvey - that's a square one (and should never fail) an old style round mount would be required to accomodate the powerflex bush.

I have a square mount on my motor which was worn/breaking up ,just got a new square one from volvo.

M-R-P
Monday 7th January 2013, 23:33
I have a square mount on my motor which was worn/breaking up ,just got a new square one from volvo.

Ok, should never fail on a standard T5 lol ;)

JamesT5
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 21:00
To be honest, I'm just being picky because the MOT is due in March and as I'm spending well over a grand on the car these next 2 months I'm thinking about all the little niggles I can mop up in the process.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 21:08
I doubt it'll fail on an engine mount. I would have a look at the gearbox torque mount under the car, that tends to fall apart.

JamesT5
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 21:14
I doubt it'll fail on an engine mount. I would have a look at the gearbox torque mount under the car, that tends to fall apart.

My biggest fear is I'll spend a fortune on getting it fixed up and then it fails on something I didn't even consider so in many ways I'm being a bit O.T.T with my 'repairs'.. :)

M-R-P
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 21:54
You worry too much mate.

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 10:40
poweflex are working on making the square type replacement bush at my request.
i have been pushing it for ages. David Power assured me it is now being looked at !

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 10:41
Easy mate.
Undo the bolt and remove it.
Losen the bolt at the other end of the frame (4" behind) you should be able to push the old bush out by hand.
Fit the new bush and refit the bolt.
Don't forget to tighten everything back up.

You'll notice more engine noise in the cabin, especially when the A/C is on. This can be easily solved by fitting the powerflex strut brace tensioners (£18)

interesting point you made there martin, i'll certainly bear that in mind if i get any queries.

M-R-P
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 10:41
David Power? Please tell me his business partner is called John Flex :hilarious

JamesT5
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 10:51
david power? Please tell me his business partner is called john flex :hilarious

lmao!

JamesT5
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 10:53
poweflex are working on making the square type replacement bush at my request.
i have been pushing it for ages. David Power assured me it is now being looked at !

Ok, well I'm glad I didn't just buy a part without checking otherwise it wouldn't have fitted. By the way, I'll be coming your way this week for some brake calipers and a suspension strut and coil kit ordered via your website!

Regards

James

p fandango
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 10:55
I'll be coming your way this week for some brake calipers and a suspension strut and coil kit ordered via your website!
make sure you get your free sweets out of him ;)

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 11:00
no problem james . pop it over when you are ready.

Harvey
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 11:36
Is there any news on the round front wishbone bushes for the s60/v70 cars yet ?.

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 11:52
if you mean the front wishbone rear bush, unfortunately not really. all the supplier told me was that the batch was defective having possible bubbles in the poly liquid so the cases were found to be loose on a few of them.

because of this, i havent really persued it since. sometimes it is best to stick with tried and tested.

the complete front wishbone front bush with polyurethane are in stock .