PDA

View Full Version : 2003 s6o d5

welderone
Sunday 6th January 2013, 20:31
I have just purchased a S60 D5 2003 51,000 miles 1 owner, After a few days I have had a cluncking noise coming from the passenger footwell. I took the car back to the garage and three mechanics have looked at it 2 of whom actually re- motd the car and gave it a clean bill of health . I have had it back now for a week over the new year and it still is making a noise , they will have it back but are baffled at what it can be, as its a Peugeot garage they obviously do not know the ins and out of these cars any ideas would help me. Have looked on various Volvo forums and every body seems to come up with bushes . Peter

Santa
Sunday 6th January 2013, 20:46
Does it clunk all the time or only under breaking/accelerating/steering?

welderone
Sunday 6th January 2013, 20:49
Just driving along a road straight really, comes and goes .They have checked the bushes but I did see on another forum that some bushes only show wear with wheels on the ground and turning the steering. It seems to be on acceleration but not at great speed . peter

Santa
Sunday 6th January 2013, 21:32
Sounds to me like the top links but hopefullysomeone will clarify :)

M-R-P
Sunday 6th January 2013, 23:05
If it happens when coming on and off the throttle, even gently, it'll be the hub bolt, worth putting a spanner on it.
After that, CV joint (outer) or strut top plate.
To test the bushes, get a bar it big screwdriver and lever the bush and see how much travel it has.

Liddo
Monday 7th January 2013, 11:42
If it happens when coming on and off the throttle, even gently, it'll be the hub bolt, worth putting a spanner on it.
After that, CV joint (outer) or strut top plate.
To test the bushes, get a bar it big screwdriver and lever the bush and see how much travel it has.

I second this, I had it on my old 2003 aswell. If it clunks under acceleration, it'll be the hub bolts. You will need XC90 ones from Volvo, they
are modified with a rubber flange so that they done come undone.

DONT over tighten them like i did a snap the head off the bolt :slap: I needed a new front hub after doing to

Good luck

welderone
Monday 7th January 2013, 13:29
Going to Volvo dealers for remap Thursday so have permission for them to deal with problem now from the garage I got it from even better. Peter

M-R-P
Monday 7th January 2013, 13:34
Just to add to my previous post, knackered wishbone bushes will often pass a visual inspection as they are oil-filled and can look fine from the outside.

welderone
Thursday 10th January 2013, 16:48
Well just back from Volvo , the knocking noise was caused by the rubber spacers in the coil springs moving and they refitted them and suggested fitting the replacement upgrades they have, also the OSF steering arms and bushes have wear not enough to fail a MOT though. When the Peugeot garage serviced the car they fitted the wrong sump plug washer so this is leaking too. On the whole they said the car was very clean and in excellent conditon . Quick phone call to the garage I got it from and they agreed toget the Volvo parts and they would do the labour so good result. Peter

M-R-P
Thursday 10th January 2013, 16:53
Good news mate.