PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify these locking wheel nuts?

volvo850R
Sunday 6th January 2013, 20:25
Evening all,

Having a proper nightmare with the locking wheel nuts on my 850R. Ive had the car 10 months now and have never had to take a wheel off, until the other day when a tyre burst on me:mad:

I went to change to the space saver and then found that the key is badly worn and not capable of undoing the nuts. I ended up getting conned out of 45 quid by a local garage (new years eve prices)to remove the 1 nut so i could put the spare on. They said they welded a nut on to the locking nut to get it off. I doubt this as the hole on the alloy was still mint.

Anyway im stuck now with 3 locking nuts i cant remove and a looming mot next month which the car will need 4 tyres for. I rang volvo and they said they dont keep a record of the locking nuts and the key number should be with the cars paper work(which it isnt). It has got the key number written in the service book but i presume thats for the ignition?

The code on top of the locking nut key is ADL F977.

I have taken a couple of pictures in the hope someone will recognise if they are genuine volvo nuts that would have been fitted to an 850 when new or if they are some other type......

If i can identify them hopefuly i can buy the same key from somewere. Im in a pickle here guys so any help on this is much appreciated!

nobananas
Sunday 6th January 2013, 20:31
Usually those design of locking wheel nuts are oem on Peugeot/Citroen makes.

merc85
Sunday 6th January 2013, 20:31
They are aftermarket Locking wheel nuts i'm afraid

volvo850R
Sunday 6th January 2013, 20:40
Cheers, i had a peugeot years ago with these on it did make me think maybe they could be. The good thing is they are genuine peugeot nuts if i remember rightly so might be easy to track down.

Typical that the only thing to give me trouble on this car so far is a shoddily designed french part :mad:

Shadow
Sunday 6th January 2013, 21:02
you could just get a socket that jut smaller than the locking nut and hammer it on to get it off or you can get a locking wheel nut remover set from halfords or most moter factors. hammering a scoket on has always worked for me. dont be scared to really hammer it on just dont miss lol.

Saaamon
Sunday 6th January 2013, 21:10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Inch-Twist-Deep-Impact-Socket-Set-Removal-Tool-Rounded-Rusty-Bolts-Nuts-/271122042439?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item3f20220e47

volvo850R
Sunday 6th January 2013, 21:11
cheers will try that one. Im a bit dubious about buying that wheel nut remover kit as i dont think it will fit down the side of the nut as there is zero room. If i can get something on the samller middle part i might get lucky. A mate of mine had some of these on a 206 gti that he couldnt get off no matter what, the car was off the road 2 years due to the 4 bald tyres. he ended up cutting all 4 wheels off the damn thing :banana: No way am i doing that to my 850!

Looking back thow i think he may have been a bit thick lol

M-R-P
Monday 7th January 2013, 00:00
Very handy tip for hammering a socket on...
Wrap the socket with tape so it won't fit in the bolt recess. That way when you hammer it in, it'll stay straight and stop it bouncing off.

Oh, don't use a lump hammer, it'll slip off and hit the wheel. Use a BIG ball-pein hammer 48 oz if you can.

volvo850R
Monday 7th January 2013, 19:25
Thanks for the tip M-R-P will do that. Not to bothered if i do a little damage as the wheels are getting refurbed for summer soon.

M-R-P
Monday 7th January 2013, 21:57
You'll need to hit it hard mate, you can do a surprising amount of damage to an alloy wheel when you tw@t it with a big hammer - trust me ;)

craigoodwood
Monday 7th January 2013, 22:46
and not just an ordinary socket get an impact one ie one with 6 sides it's less likely to slip, if i remember right if that is the same as a pug lock nut the round bit that sticks out is a 12mm socket you want ;)

Nifton
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 19:22
No need! I have some locking nut removal sockets, they have a bladed reverse thread cut into them. Pop it over the nut, give it one sharp smash with a Mallet then un do as normal, first few turns bite into the locking nut then when it requires more force to cut into the nut than the nut is tightened, it just comes off. Stick it in a vice & tap from the side with a hammer and is ready to go again. I swear by em. Most larger auto spares will have em.