PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on the value of this Gull 850

Sharkey R
Sunday 6th January 2013, 17:30
Just spotted this while browsing on EBAY. Not being that clued up on the 850s I wondered what the experts in here think. The car isn't that far away from me. Bargain or Bust?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-850-T5-R-estate-/261148216924?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3ccda58e5c

Rudeyboy18
Sunday 6th January 2013, 17:41
Well..... theres a lovely HUGE kink in the intercooler top hose..... and the the front tyre/wheel has been put on back to front so the tread is going the wrong way..........

I would stay away as this car to me looks like the owner has no idea and bodges stuff. But thats me

foammanmark
Sunday 6th January 2013, 17:48
I think this car has been discussed at length on other threads on here, so I'd have a look for them. I nearly went to view in when it was for sale in Scotland 3-4 months ago. Then it appeared in Cumbria and now Oxfordshire. Nice looking but I'd be careful.

Santa
Sunday 6th January 2013, 17:52
Just spotted this while browsing on EBAY. Not being that clued up on the 850s I wondered what the experts in here think. The car isn't that far away from me. Bargain or Bust?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-850-T5-R-estate-/261148216924?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3ccda58e5c

What you thinking?

oblark
Sunday 6th January 2013, 17:53
About £1000

Sharkey R
Sunday 6th January 2013, 17:54
Ideal transport to get me and all my work bags too and from work and then I can keep the R mileage down and keep it for shows but still have a stand out car for the daily commute. Just thinking lol

p fandango
Sunday 6th January 2013, 17:57
if it was an original car in very good condition it'd probably get the £3k, but not with the mods someones done (especially reverse parking sensors which i assume have been drilled into the bumper)

stribo
Sunday 6th January 2013, 18:01
Ideal transport to get me and all my work bags too and from work and then I can keep the R mileage down and keep it for shows but still have a stand out car for the daily commute. Just thinking lol

I know of a nice Cougar that would do the job. ;)

Santa
Sunday 6th January 2013, 18:03

Feared you might be toying with the idea of getting rid of the S60R. If I were looking for one it would have to be in the same Green as James's and Pete's

Sharkey R
Sunday 6th January 2013, 18:04
Still thinking bout at C70 but that 850 just stood out but seems like its too pricey from what peeps are saying so ill forget that one lol.

claymore
Sunday 6th January 2013, 18:05
I agree about the kink in the pipe, but the tyre is on the right way

Sharkey R
Sunday 6th January 2013, 18:07
Feared you might be toying with the idea of getting rid of the S60R. If I were looking for one it would have to be in the same Green as James's and Pete's

Hell no, definitely not getting rid of the R. Just not liking doing so many short journeys in it and want to keep it more as a weekend car and for shows.

Saaamon
Sunday 6th January 2013, 18:32
Overpriced.

Santa
Sunday 6th January 2013, 18:37
Hell no, definitely not getting rid of the R. Just not liking doing so many short journeys in it and want to keep it more as a weekend car and for shows.

Get a small cheap car that cost pennies to run..................pennies you save go back into the pride and joy.

V70 Graham
Sunday 6th January 2013, 18:40

1st dibs if you change your mind lol

Sharkey R
Sunday 6th January 2013, 19:22
1st dibs if you change your mind lol

You'll be waiting a while :-)

T5frankie
Sunday 6th January 2013, 19:23
nice car and you struggle to find any manual t5-r for sale let alone a gul

V8mate
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 23:23
Still thinking bout at C70 but that 850 just stood out but seems like its too pricey from what peeps are saying so ill forget that one lol.

It's not that pricey if its in good nick, you must remember these are becoming very rare and especially in the gull colour (200 in three colours back in 1995 and only a handful left) I wouldn't let mine go for less than £5000 now

V8mate
Tuesday 8th January 2013, 23:28
Overpriced.

Only overpriced if it cost more than £1500 too get into mint condition

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 09:40
Without actually looking at it, very difficult to say. However, the chavifications always fill me with dismay. Possible moneypit. ABove all, IT'S GOT RUST!!! Rusty 850s have been ABUSED. It's certainly fairly rare, but I would say no more than £2k unlesss he ditches those tints, hids, deflectors, and so on. The rear bumper can be filled, but budget a couple of hundred for doing this, and he says it has evidence of other spray work. This car seems to have been round the block a few times, so I'm wondering what buyers are not liking? New rear shocks are SO NOT CHEAP if you are fitting Nivomats - but you could get away with a standard conversion or secondhand units. Mileage is high, no getting away from that, so lots of likely fixes needed in the suspension and running gear.
But as I often say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they don't come up that often, and a thousand quid here or there is nothing if you were buying a new fiesta or similar. I'm afraid the days of low mileage minters is over, you may just need to buy it and refurbish. I know people like Gul T5R (I have sometimes wavered) but I have to say that I think the 850R manual is a better car - LSD, better ride and so on - and they are a bit cheaper and more plentiful at the moment.
And no, this T5R does not have 300bhp - but I think you knew that.

Palmer
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 15:42
I've been discussing this at length with a few friends and my input is that, yes, it may still be a rare car. BUT there is no escaping the fact it has 187k on the clock, the defects described, and most importantly, the price.

Nifton
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 20:19
DO NOT BUY this thing, its more buoyant than a corky turd. I almost fell for it. Has been chav modded beyond belief. Guy I spoke to constantly contradicted himself on history, I spoke to the mechanic who 'tuned' it and guy didn't have a clue. See threads on here from November time. While I was looking at it, price dropped from 3k to 2k. Total lemon imho and who ever takes the drop realises then tries to get very shot asap....

Yosser
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 21:18
DO NOT BUY this thing, its more buoyant than a corky turd.

:lol:

merc85
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 21:29
Mines a Genuine Manual 854 t5r, 240k tho. Has had everything replaced hence drives like 70k. I ve had no serious interest just lots of peeps wanting to knock money off immediately without any drive or viewing.

Peeps really should realise although it has been converted, auto to manual, and has had various stuff done it does look very tidy, surly to god if your interested why not have a look and if it is bad either walk or offer a figure you are happy to pay, so what even if it needs another gearbox, or engine? both are cheap and easy to fit.

You will still have a tidy and Rare car which shouldnt really de value anymore.... I reckon its worth a viewing if your interested but a drive is a must for sure.

Nifton
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 22:02
I have some pics from owner before this that show some worrying areas on the body. Boot hinges streaked with rust for example... From what other people who viewed this have said, it's not worth the ask.

T5frankie
Wednesday 9th January 2013, 22:09
its a 3 grand car not a 10 grand car you penny pinchers, its a manual gul worth that all day long, everyone wants a minter but only with original paint too

kyboy
Thursday 10th January 2013, 21:24
problem with this particular car is its been up for sale for at least 2yrs by at least 4 different people starting in Scotland when it did want a lot of exterior tidying, I've read all the different descriptions and history of the car and they were all different! it's a nice car to look at depends what your expecting,from what's really getting to be a classic car!