PDA

View Full Version : Cold starting - wont start without foot to the carpet

richiemat
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 14:54
Hi,

Long time no post.....

Our 2001 P2 T5 has been going really well for a good while now but has begun to play up a bit lately when starting cold. The problem is that sometimes when cold it wont start without pushing the loud pedal into the carpet.

It's got a new battery so cranks fine but when it does start can be a little smoky for the first half second, I guess that's the extra fuel...not sure

It has an ITG panel filter which i cleaned a couple of weeks ago, no other engine mods and only has 78k on the clock. I would appreciate some help with this, dont really don't know too much yet about this engine but think I will have a better idea once I get stuck into this issue!

Because we all like a thread with pics here's one :)

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/richiemat/IMG_20120311_140036.jpg

Cheers

Rich

silverhorse
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 15:54
Have the glow plugs ever been replaced? They tend to deteriorate over time and if they are not glowing as hot as they should, it takes a bit more effort for the engine to catch.
There is a way of testing them. Someone on here will know.

Car is looking good BTW:smile:

richiemat
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 16:12
Have the glow plugs ever been replaced? They tend to deteriorate over time and if they are not glowing as hot as they should, it takes a bit more effort for the engine to catch.
There is a way of testing them. Someone on here will know.

Car is looking good BTW:smile:

The S60 I had was a d5 which had glow plugs but afaik I don't have glow plugs on the t5?

Al115
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 16:18
Spark plugs yes. Glow plugs no.

Car looks beautiful by the way!

richiemat
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 16:23
Thanks both :) , I've read the codes and there isn't anything stored (using android/torque app)....that's not to say a better reader couldn't find something I guess?

M-R-P
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 16:41
Comets on a P2 - nice :)

Has the ETM been changed? (electronic throttle module). The early P2 cars are notorious for the throttles failing.

richiemat
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 16:43
Comets on a P2 - nice :)

Has the ETM been changed? (electronic throttle module). The early P2 cars are notorious for the throttles failing.

Thanks, yep it had a new ETM already about 2 years ago at a guess

Al115
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:07
If you were nearer me, I'd plug in my magic computer box thing and read the car for you - maybe someone nearby has a VIDA/DICE you can plug in to?

Good that the ETM's been done. Mind you, I went through three in two years at one point!

M-R-P
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:17
Thanks, yep it had a new ETM already about 2 years ago at a guess

Might be worth checking if it had a Bosch one fitted or another marelli. If its another marelli, it could be the problem.

When starting these cars, the ecu controls the throttle position, overriding the pedal position. The throttle pedal sensor or even the maf could be worth a look.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:20
Have to agree with M-R-P Comets look good on the P2.

richiemat
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:26
Might be worth checking if it had a Bosch one fitted or another marelli. If its another marelli, it could be the problem.

When starting these cars, the ecu controls the throttle position, overriding the pedal position. The throttle pedal sensor or even the maf could be worth a look.

I'll see if I can see the label later

Ah ok so my foot to floor thing wouldn't have any effect?

Sounds like I need a proper code read rather than the torque thingy

richiemat
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:27
Have to agree with M-R-P Comets look good on the P2.

I thank you

M-R-P
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:29
Try starting it with your foot off the pedal, go from there. After that, unplug the maf, see if it starts better, then you can confirm or disprove a maf problem.

merc85
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:36
Now thats a nice looking ph2 :)

M-R-P
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:42

Why is it that P1 wheels look so good on a P2 and P2 wheels look good on a P1.

I can't help thinking I've seen this car about. Where abouts in Hampshire are you mate?

richiemat
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:46
Try starting it with your foot off the pedal, go from there. After that, unplug the maf, see if it starts better, then you can confirm or disprove a maf problem.

Thanks mrp

richiemat
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:47

richiemat
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:49
I can't help thinking I've seen this car about. Where abouts in Hampshire are you mate?

Sunny Bognor Regis, or at least it was today

silverhorse
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:51
The S60 I had was a d5 which had glow plugs but afaik I don't have glow plugs on the t5?

:o

Oh Dear!! Was speed reading the post. That will teach me..............

M-R-P
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 18:15
Sunny Bognor Regis, or at least it was today

Hmmm... Doubt I've seen you about then lol.

stribo
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 18:18
Deffo sounds like it could be the MAF, especially if you've just cleaned your air filter. Oh, and Bognor is West Sussex, not Hampshire. ;) :lol:

richiemat
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 18:24
Deffo sounds like it could be the MAF, especially if you've just cleaned your air filter. Oh, and Bognor is West Sussex, not Hampshire. ;) :lol:

Haha

I cleaned the air filter as a matter of course but it was starting to do this before then.

richiemat
Wednesday 2nd January 2013, 11:08
Bognor is West Sussex, not Hampshire. ;) :lol:

Updated location now to be less specific, its been a while since i posted :D