PDA

View Full Version : Weird clunk on brakeing but not not all the time

ExternalError
Friday 28th December 2012, 15:57
I have an issue that's beginning to get annoying sometimes when breaking I get a clunking sound coming from both the passenger and drivers front wheels I also sometimes get a loud sprung clunk but this isn't as common originally thought it was the wishbones so had them polybushed which appeared to resolve the issue temporarily but it has now returned, its not constant as in every time I brake but happens regularly enough that I want to solve the issue any one have any ideas before I take it to a mechanic.

I'm thinking drop links or maybe shocks but when my friend did the wishbones he said he couldn't see anything wrong with either of them, the clunking originally started after I fitted new brake pads which I got my frirend to check over once the noise started to make sure I hadn't done that wrong even though I've fitted brake pads before with no issues, he didn't see any problems but did spot that the wish bone bushes were on their way out so I had them polybushed.

So does anyone have any Ideas before I take it in, if it is the shocks I'm eyeing up the PFS set with lowering springs on parts for volvo has anyone had these fitted and can provide any feed back.

Harvey
Friday 28th December 2012, 16:36
Sounds like the pads moveing in the callipers does the clunk only happen once or does do it all the time when you Brake going forward,then once when Reversing up, if so sounds like the pads are Moving.
Or have a look at the drive shaft locking bolts under the wheel centre caps on both sides as these can come loose.

V70 Graham
Friday 28th December 2012, 16:58
I have an issue that's beginning to get annoying sometimes when breaking I get a clunking sound coming from both the passenger and drivers front wheels I also sometimes get a loud sprung clunk but this isn't as common originally thought it was the wishbones so had them polybushed which appeared to resolve the issue temporarily but it has now returned, its not constant as in every time I brake but happens regularly enough that I want to solve the issue any one have any ideas before I take it to a mechanic.

I'm thinking drop links or maybe shocks but when my friend did the wishbones he said he couldn't see anything wrong with either of them, the clunking originally started after I fitted new brake pads which I got my frirend to check over once the noise started to make sure I hadn't done that wrong even though I've fitted brake pads before with no issues, he didn't see any problems but did spot that the wish bone bushes were on their way out so I had them polybushed.

So does anyone have any Ideas before I take it in, if it is the shocks I'm eyeing up the PFS set with lowering springs on parts for volvo has anyone had these fitted and can provide any feed back.

I'd say do another check, making sure nothing got in behind the pads, or as Harvey says, the pads are somehow moving in the calipers.

ExternalError
Friday 28th December 2012, 17:27
Thanks for the suggestions I'll have a look tomorrow.

v70tom
Saturday 29th December 2012, 10:02
I have this on my v70 phase 1 since I replaced the brake discs and pads.
Been numerous times in the garage about but nothing moving.
Even tryd on the ramp without tyres on and there is no noise.
Suggested is the wishbone rubber mountings.

If you get an update could you please post it ?
I tryd to get rid of this noise since weeks.

ExternalError
Monday 31st December 2012, 01:09
well had a look at the calipers and tightened up everything, while I had the tools out also fitted the pipercross induction cone santa brought my car for xmas although the osram nightbreaker dips,spots, sides and full beams haven't turned up yet :(, took it for a spin 30 mins in all seemed ok so came off at the next junction to come back and all i heard was whoosh hiss clunk URRRG!! Oh well at least I have the woosh hiss to bring a smile to my face before the clunk will have to have another butchers at it once i've recovered from the NYE hangover

ExternalError
Monday 31st December 2012, 01:13
Sounds like the pads moveing in the callipers does the clunk only happen once or does do it all the time when you Brake going forward,then once when Reversing up, if so sounds like the pads are Moving.
Or have a look at the drive shaft locking bolts under the wheel centre caps on both sides as these can come loose.

sometimes it doesn't happen at all others times its every time I brake when it happens its only when I apply the brake almost as if the pads are suddenly clamping down on the disk rather than just applying gradually, it doesn't matter if i press the brakes hard or apply them gently I get the same noise but as I say its not all the time which is the annoying part.

v70tom
Monday 31st December 2012, 09:20
Well, same here. But not loud.
I only can hear this when I drive low without any surrounding noise.
Once it starts getting warmer and this permanent flooding stops
I may get the whole front brakes and wheel alignment apart and
Put it back together bit by bit with loads of time to make sure all is ok.

As I said I been quoted a rubber but sure it can't make this noise.
Althought it's sometimes happend on speed humps and uneven roads without applying the brakes. .??