PDA

View Full Version : Here it comes - wheels v70 phase1

v70tom
Tuesday 25th December 2012, 09:26
Okay.
I try again.
After researching for affordable " bigger " wheels for my v70 fwd I came across some ideas.
Honestly, it seems the v70 estate phase1 has a big problem getting affordable big wheels without much costs involved.

This car has a bore off 65.1 and offset 35 to38 mm,
Means just a short availability on wheels for it.

As it has 195 tyres on it it drives like a tank on country roads.

Yes I know I could by new wheels but I don't really want to pay 3 to500 quit on wheels.
I refurbished alloys before for cars and having the equipment including compressor for it I rather buy cheap ones and do it myself for the age of the car as paying a lot out for it.

If I get spacers ( maybe 10mm ) and put those in could it be possible to go for some wheels with the same bore but going for a higher offset size?
Spacers 5mm going from 35-38 to 40-43 mm
Or
Spacers 10mm going from 35-38 to 45-48 mm

Would this be possible and would it stabilise the performance of the car?
Also would I need longer wheel nuts for it as the one I use now seems to have a threat of 3 mm inside the hub?

claymore
Tuesday 25th December 2012, 12:38
It doesn't matter about the center bore as long as it's bigger (you can use spigot rings) that might open up your choices, after-market wheels for Ford or Jaguar for example.
You might look at 5 x 110 as well, Ive been using this stud pattern on my car for 3 years.

sartain87
Tuesday 25th December 2012, 16:07
How would you go about using 5x110 wheels, adaptors? Or can you get away with bolting straight on?

claymore
Tuesday 25th December 2012, 17:11
How would you go about using 5x110 wheels, adapters? Or can you get away with bolting straight on?
Yep. the bolts can easily take up the 2mm slack as long as you use spigot rings.

sartain87
Tuesday 25th December 2012, 20:01
Interesting I wasn't aware of that, will keep that in mind!

t5 pete
Tuesday 25th December 2012, 20:14
Why not just get a set of larger Volvo wheels no messing around and imho I'm not keen on aftermarket wheels

shepbomb
Tuesday 25th December 2012, 20:40
As Pete said, as I purchased a car with a set of aftermarket wheels, and I am lucky they did not kill me

Why not just get a set of larger Volvo wheels no messing around and imho I'm not keen on aftermarket wheels

p fandango
Wednesday 26th December 2012, 07:44
i do find the "Volvo wheels are strongest/safest" comments hilarious, especially knowing Team Dynamics used to make some Volvo's wheels for them. & very much doubt they would done anything special from the way they manufacture there own wheels