PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!"""@£&@....,,

V8mate
Monday 24th December 2012, 20:24
First of all merry Xmas everyone

Sorry I haven't been on for a while
I spoke to v70grahem and his better half today
Just thought I would try my luck before I take the other halls car to the mechanic
There is a droning noise on her s60 d5 I have change the bearing hub assembly and the droning is still there
DOES ANYONE NO WHAT IT COULD BE
Thank in advance for any advice
V8mate

Santa
Monday 24th December 2012, 20:33
Hey matey, LTNS. You believe the sound to be coming from the wheel then? Couldnt be a warped disc?

V8mate
Monday 24th December 2012, 20:36
Hi Santa
Errrrm if the disc is warped would it only happen under braking
I'm proper confused .com now

V8mate
Monday 24th December 2012, 20:40
Santa it happening consistently when at speed ie 30+ mph and seems to get louder as you slow down but that might be deeper sounding rather than louder

Harvey
Monday 24th December 2012, 20:43
Drive shaft support bearing ,or tyre noise worn down,cv joint,different wheel bearing.
If you go round left or right turns does the noise change,is it the same all the time different road types.

V8mate
Monday 24th December 2012, 20:54
Thanks Harvey
It happens at speed on all surfaces it happens if turning or on a straight but just gets deeper/louder as I slow down to perform a manoeuvre

V70 Graham
Monday 24th December 2012, 21:30
Paul, maybe you should tell everyone the whole story, might help people with the diagnosis.

V8mate
Monday 24th December 2012, 22:21
Ok here goes are we all sitting comfortable
It was four nights before Christmas when all through the lanes not a creature was stiring not even a mouse now for the truth
I had given someone a lift home four nights ago when I had hit a pot hole at about 40mph I had damaged both front and rear wheels to the extent I have to replace them. As a temp measure I put the front damaged wheel on the rear and had all the tyres re balanced all was fine . I've always had a really quiet drone but for 2 days all was good yesterday I drove to chertsey which is about 17 miles from my house on the way back on the second trip of the day totalling in excess of 70mph as I came off the motorway the loud droning started so today I brought the hub assembly had it fitted but the loud droning is still there the mechanic is a bit miffed and says its defo not the wheels or tyres
That's the truth hole truth and nothing but the truth I sware your honour
What Harvey says sounds plausible

Harvey
Monday 24th December 2012, 22:41
Are the tyres new or part worn if part worn they could be noisey tread pattern ?.
BUT now you say you did have a bit of damage I would try to get the car on a ramp and run it with the wheels off the ground and see if you can feel / hear anything good chance it might have damaged a bearing with the shock put throught it.

merc85
Monday 24th December 2012, 23:06
Out of shape tyre mate simples

JUDGENINJA
Monday 24th December 2012, 23:59
Tracking.. Wheels with knocked tracking will create fraction in sideway movement... You said that you hit a bad pothole. Not much else to say. Different tyres will give different sound, but I'm betting you front wheels are pointing different directions..

V8mate
Tuesday 25th December 2012, 08:59
Thank to all for the advice and merry Xmas to you all
Judge: the noise is very quiet for the first five min it seems as though it doesn't happen until the car warms up and done three to five miles and then just gets progressively worse
Harvey: I think your idea is a good one ill get the mechanic to lift it up and check and probably change the shaft bearing as the noise was there before
It just a shame we have to drive 125 miles each way today
OH WE'LL HAVE TO TAKE THE
T5R (otherwise known as banana)