PDA

View Full Version : squeeling drive belt

bigbellybernard
Wednesday 5th October 2005, 20:15
hi ppl new member here after owning 440 turbo 740 s40 and now struck a bargain with wife she can have a dog if i can have a t5 estate .. to carry the dog .. anyway anybody got any experience of squeeking drive belts and how to cure it if i spray lube onto belt it is ok till it dries... love the car though .. im a paint sprayer by trade so first job colour code bumpers and trims .. got a stainless back box sounds nice just want some nice new wheels ... ssshhh dont let wife hear..

dicky b t5
Wednesday 5th October 2005, 20:44
BBB , :welcome: mate , What T5 you got & what part of Blighty you in...?
As for the Drive belt got a feeling the spray lube might be a no-no but im sure someone will have the answer.. :B_steerin

siamblue
Wednesday 5th October 2005, 20:58
Hi and welcome when was the last time the belt was changed? Or do you not know this they do wear out and over time could snap Maybe it is too tight?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th October 2005, 00:51
If it is a 740 I am very familiar with this problem.

:welcome:

I carried a can of "belt slip" around with me all the time. The B230K engine has 2 fan belts which if they are of unequal wear will contribute to this issue.

Ultimately the T5 gets round this by having a modern grooved aux. belt. which drastically increases the surface area and removes slipage.

nikgallagher
Thursday 6th October 2005, 08:42
My 850 T5 aux belt was squeeking a bit, so I changed it and all went away.

NOTE: Do not take the old belt off a warm engine, as the old one will have stretched a bit, and you'll find the new one won't fit. Very stressful to say the least!!

audimadmike
Thursday 6th October 2005, 09:24
WD 40 works quite well also talc (not together!)
If it keeps doing it, and my ribbed belt did, change it! its only £12 and 5 minutes to do.
If as W.D. says its the 740 twin belt, changing is even cheaper.
When I removed the ribbed belt it was full of cracks on the inside.

Mike

bigbellybernard
Thursday 6th October 2005, 21:09
will try new belt ... if it works it leaves the remote locking to sort ... locks fine but unlocking is hit and miss...
thanks for advice ppl
if its smashed i fix it ... and paint it .... if it goes up and down round and round ....im not so good