PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Leak

T5Rica
Saturday 22nd December 2012, 02:04
Hello everyone, hope you can assist me on this one.

Seem to be losing a fair amount of brake fluid quite quickly. Had the fault in brake system light on dash so checked fluid and it was low, topped up to the max mark and must have lost half of it in one drive of 40 km. Brakes also failed, but came back on the journey home.

I'm obviously not driving it around but have tried to trace the leak, nothing majorly visible, no pooling anywhere when parked up.

Have had the front wheels off and did notice a fair bit on the undercarriage of the car on passenger side, but still no real visible leaks.

Bottom of the, is it brake bias valve???? was wet with fluid (square metal box with black plastic cover) so I'm presuming it came from there.

Also there are two hard metal pipes next to the brake servo that head into the cabin from the engine bay (not heater matrix ones), one of these was heavy with what looked like condensation for an inch or two on the pipe but no visible holes or anything.

Had missus pump brakes with engine off and them started the motor and the brake pedal depressed further as I think presume should have when engine started???

So any ideas what is the problem?

Could it be vacuum related or no?

Looks like a major yeah?

Harvey
Saturday 22nd December 2012, 07:03
Is it a auto ,if it's a manual could be the clutch slave leaking in the bell housing ,have a look under the engine there is a hole at the bottom of the bell housing if it's dry it's ok,as you say the brakes went then came back have a good look at the hoses / pipe work and around the wheels.

T5Rica
Sunday 23rd December 2012, 00:51
Thanks for the reply.

It's an auto.

Have looked at all four corners, nothing visible.

childs3787
Sunday 23rd December 2012, 01:42
My brothers T5 auto was leaking from the pedal sensor on the master cylinder through the electrical connectors. Same symptoms as you mentioned with brakes. Replaced sensor and brakes don't leak fluid and braking power much better.

Nealevo
Sunday 23rd December 2012, 09:59
Mine leaked also on the sensor attached to the master cylinder, and it was £70 for a new one!!! (OUCH) but only a 10 min job

T5Rica
Sunday 23rd December 2012, 20:49
If it was leaking from the sensor it would be highly visible wouldn't it?