PDA

View Full Version : V70R & Tethys

MA'R'K
Friday 21st December 2012, 21:44
Winter service & setup almost complete! I wanted some dedicated winter wheels, so had a tatty (but straight) set of tethys acid dipped, blasted & powder coated in gun metal grey. It's impossible to keep bright silver comets looking clean so hopefully this colour will hide the winter grime a little better! Wrapped the alloys in 225 45 17 Dunlop SP winter tyres.....seem like a nice ride, just looking forward to some slippy roads to try them out :)

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv56/Goshawk79/Winter%20Tethys/The%20Machine%20In%20Winter%20Boots/FullFront03_zps822c70f8.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv56/Goshawk79/Winter%20Tethys/The%20Machine%20In%20Winter%20Boots/FrontCloseUp02_zps258ede26.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv56/Goshawk79/Winter%20Tethys/The%20Machine%20In%20Winter%20Boots/FrontOffsetView01_zpsb6c54152.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv56/Goshawk79/Winter%20Tethys/The%20Machine%20In%20Winter%20Boots/FrontOffsetView02_zps5ae99565.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv56/Goshawk79/Winter%20Tethys/The%20Machine%20In%20Winter%20Boots/Tread02_zps53a99a2b.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv56/Goshawk79/Winter%20Tethys/The%20Machine%20In%20Winter%20Boots/FullSide03_zps3ab5ca54.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv56/Goshawk79/Winter%20Tethys/The%20Machine%20In%20Winter%20Boots/FullRear03_zps7fc7baf9.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv56/Goshawk79/Winter%20Tethys/The%20Machine%20In%20Winter%20Boots/FullRear02_zps353daf59.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv56/Goshawk79/Winter%20Tethys/The%20Machine%20In%20Winter%20Boots/FullFront01_zps0345f342.jpg

T5frankie
Friday 21st December 2012, 22:15
nice 740 mark

martybelfastt5
Friday 21st December 2012, 22:20
nice

stribo
Friday 21st December 2012, 23:19
Looking good.

V70 Graham
Friday 21st December 2012, 23:28
Very nice car you have there.

M-R-P
Friday 21st December 2012, 23:41
Why do P2 wheels always look better on P1 cars...?

smithy
Friday 21st December 2012, 23:55
Why do P2 wheels always look better on P1 cars...?

Because p1 cars are better in the first place lol.nice car mate reminds me of my v70 lpt I had that was black too.

WOODY T5
Saturday 22nd December 2012, 00:02
nice car and brake`s wheels look v nice mate

volvokid
Saturday 22nd December 2012, 04:08
That looks tidy

MA'R'K
Wednesday 2nd January 2013, 20:28
Thanks to all the folks who posted positive comments...I do try my best :-)

....and frankie, I will try and do a decent thread on my 740 at some point....just for you :-)

Anyhow, just to add a little info here....the Tethys don't fit on the P1 V70 without spacers. The fronts were fine but they are already spaced out 5mm + the extra thickness of the AP brake disk bells (not sure extactly how much that is), so not totally sure if just 5mm spacers will work - maybe, maybe not!

The rears did rub though if either hard in reverse, heavy load, or speed bumps etc. On closer inspection with the 225 45 tyres, there is a gap of say 15mm between the inner edge of the tyre and the inner wheel arch. I had to add sh*t*y 5mm universal spacers to stop the rubbing!

EDIT***I'm not running nivomats on the rear, so this may not apply to those who do!***

Does anyone have any hubcentric spacers spare....poss 10 or 15mm? I'd like the wheel to be closer to the outer arch, and match the track width of the fronts.....just looks a little silly imo! Does anyone have experience with such spacers? Obviously I don't want any stupid Lipo Chop Shop 1/4 mile spacers :yikes:

Just seen an fleabay ad for the same setup.....although I managed to refurb and newer & better quality tyres for £200 less :smile:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOUR-VOLVO-V70-CAR-SNOW-TYRES-225-45R17-94V-COMPLETE-WITH-ALLOYS-/121041402950?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Comme rcial_Vehicles_ET&hash=item1c2ea13c46

foammanmark
Wednesday 2nd January 2013, 20:54
That looks very nice. Now I know what to look out for whilst driving in Stourbridge. If you see a nutter in a nautic blue V70 R or black C70 flashing you, then that isn't me.......

Kingsford G
Wednesday 2nd January 2013, 22:25
So u r the git who bought this lol Looking nice mate,better on winter tyres for now but they still look good tho.Give it a good paint care.

smithy
Wednesday 2nd January 2013, 22:33
That is a really nice car will have to get a meet on when I have finished my 940 by march mate

MA'R'K
Thursday 3rd January 2013, 01:49
So u r the git who bought this lol Looking nice mate,better on winter tyres for now but they still look good tho.Give it a good paint care.

....what you can remember this for sale 4 years ago???? You got a good memory! These photos were taken in a crap light with not the best camera but I've done pretty much everything on the car now bar engine and gearbox....incl paintwork (excl roof), all new trims, seals :blahblah: I will describe it as a sub 35k car, even though I'm now on 160k...proud of the miles!! That said, there has been a 'slight' accident which resulted in a few scratches on the wings, bonnet and roof corners, roof and gutter rails....so now having the car resprayed again in spring!

I'm well up for a meet at some point....would be good to meet some of you, especially in the Midlands. I've been hidden for a long time and I'd like to get some community advise on some of the finer points of next stages....although I'm not a serial 'tinker', more like I get a plan then build and leave alone, so really after well tried and tested plans :B_thumb:

I was down in Kelvedon quite frequently to visit my cousin, but he's now moved to the 'Dam, but if I'm down that way on a summers day, will defo have to get a southern trip on the go!

MA'R'K
Thursday 3rd January 2013, 01:56
That is a really nice car will have to get a meet on when I have finished my 940 by march mate

cheers smithy, I'm really a bit lazy and should get a better set of pics on here because most don't do it justice.....I've done so much to this car in 4 years it's just silly!

Then again, I reckon you'd prefer the 740......that's just anal mint :bounce:

We'll have to organise a meet in Stourbridge so I can bring all 3 cars :rolleyes2 ...would've been 4 cars :cuckoo: if I didn't sell the AWD to Craig who's just joined!!

smithy
Thursday 3rd January 2013, 02:20
cheers smithy, I'm really a bit lazy and should get a better set of pics on here because most don't do it justice.....I've done so much to this car in 4 years it's just silly!

Then again, I reckon you'd prefer the 740......that's just anal mint :bounce:

We'll have to organise a meet in Stourbridge so I can bring all 3 cars :rolleyes2 ...would've been 4 cars :cuckoo: if I didn't sell the AWD to Craig who's just joined!!

What mods are on the 740 mate and the pics do the v70 justice mate.my 940 saloon mate has only got very minor mods mate and it will top out at 140 bhp so it not really modded .

MA'R'K
Thursday 3rd January 2013, 11:05
What mods are on the 740 mate and the pics do the v70 justice mate.my 940 saloon mate has only got very minor mods mate and it will top out at 140 bhp so it not really modded .

No mods on the 740 except a stainless exhaust.....just almost concourse condition and you could eat your dinner off any part of the engine bay, looks new! I will do a thread when I get round to taking worthwhile pics. What work are you doing to the 940?

smithy
Thursday 3rd January 2013, 13:34
No mods on the 740 except a stainless exhaust.....just almost concourse condition and you could eat your dinner off any part of the engine bay, looks new! I will do a thread when I get round to taking worthwhile pics. What work are you doing to the 940?
Would be nice to see all your cars mate .im just restoring the 940 abit with some suttle mods to keep up with today's traffic and ave also fitted 18s on it too and lowered by 40mm so it looks nice too.its also has the original black berry pearl paint on her too witch looks nice too.

MA'R'K
Monday 14th January 2013, 01:43
Finally might get to test the winter tyres ;-)

iancho
Monday 14th January 2013, 13:06
Very nice mate, got a lovely shine to it!

Is that reg plate for real?

MA'R'K
Monday 14th January 2013, 13:22
Very nice mate, got a lovely shine to it!

Is that reg plate for real?

Thanks Ian! Nah, I've adjusted the Reg....it begins R70 tho. ...and I used a small number plate of the front as I think it looks smarter.....the police in my area approved the TVR shop near me to use these small plates on the front as the large plates seriously affect the airflow into the radiator, so I'm just applying the same rules ;-) The smaller plate fits much nicer on the bumper whereas the std size ones poke out the edges!

iancho
Monday 14th January 2013, 13:47
Thanks Ian! Nah, I've adjusted the Reg....it begins R70 tho. ...and I used a small number plate of the front as I think it looks smarter.....the police in my area approved the TVR shop near me to use these small plates on the front as the large plates seriously affect the airflow into the radiator, so I'm just applying the same rules ;-) The smaller plate fits much nicer on the bumper whereas the std size ones poke out the edges!

It does look good with the smaller plate i agree. I thought jesus he must be loaded to afford a private reg like that!

I do not think i have ever seen one looking quite so BLACK if you know what i mean! That shine is really, really good mate. It must look amazing in real life :)

MA'R'K
Monday 14th January 2013, 14:17
wish I was!! Has taken a lot of repainting and polishing to get there though, about to have the roof done and unfortunately someone managed to scratch the hell out of it with an air line in a garage, so now having to repaint the bonnet, wings and possibly some of the sides again :frown:

The White Knight
Monday 14th January 2013, 16:20
I'm an advocate of sticking with comets but those Tethys look good.

MA'R'K
Monday 14th January 2013, 16:30
I'm an advocate of sticking with comets but those Tethys look good.

My freshly refurbed comets are safely stored...they have rather sticky tyres on which are pretty poo in this weather and the bright silver just gets filthy 50yrds down the road, so this is a lazy option :wink:

The White Knight
Monday 14th January 2013, 16:44
The comets that came with my v70r are a light grey colour, I wonder if this was a factory option?

I'd prefer them to be closer to anthracite...maybe a refurb is in order.

MA'R'K
Monday 14th January 2013, 16:47
The comets that came with my v70r are a light grey colour, I wonder if this was a factory option?

I'd prefer them to be closer to anthracite...maybe a refurb is in order.

I think they just came in anthracite or silver.....I prefer silver on the black car as it gives the car some visual 'boots' which looks the bizz in the summer. Though I agree, anthracite looks better on most other colours!

jotter22
Monday 14th January 2013, 20:52
Why are they classed as winter tyres? are they noisey?
The car looks sweet too

MA'R'K
Monday 14th January 2013, 21:10
Why are they classed as winter tyres? are they noisey?
The car looks sweet too

The tyres are specified to run below 5 degrees and have a very course grip, not noisy at all, really good grip in bad weather. That said, unless we have worse weather than we have at the mo, then not totally neccessary, I ran on uniroyal wet weather tyres last year and they were sufficient in the bad weather, good value too! I only put the winter tyres on them as they are a dedicated set of alloys for the winter and I got the tyres at a very, very good price :)

jotter22
Monday 14th January 2013, 21:20
I only ask as i could do with a set of new tyres and cant really lash out £400 odd quid at the moment and was clutching at straws really.

Tony.

MA'R'K
Monday 14th January 2013, 21:26
Just trawl through ebay, people often use them for a couple thousand miles then sell the car so they don't need them anymore.