PDA

View Full Version : Nebulas need a refurb

silverhorse
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 23:26
Have found a few old threads on here from a long time ago.
But I cannot find out 100% if I need a special BBS tool for the split rim bolts. Also, I want to powdercoat, not paint. Will powdercoating put a layer on too thick to get the split pieces back together properly?

any ideas??

Redbrick
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 23:51
A standard metric torx bit is all you need, I had one in a set, can't remember what size. Just go in straight and be gentle! Yanks have issues probably as they have imperial ones maybe...??

When I did mine it had two primer, three top coats and three lacquer, was a tight fit but no issues. Locktite the rim bolts back in.

M-R-P
Thursday 20th December 2012, 00:02
You may need to use a little heat to get the old bolts out, I've read stories of the heads snapping :(

silverhorse
Thursday 20th December 2012, 00:05
Been looking at your old thread from 2008!! You had fun and games there!
Did all your bolts come out OK? Found a thread on the Volvo OC forum and he had loads shear off:shockedbi http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=122967
Also, did you bother with new bolts or just use the old ones?

silverhorse
Thursday 20th December 2012, 00:07
You may need to use a little heat to get the old bolts out, I've read stories of the heads snapping :(

I was wondering about getting an impact gun and getting them out that way. Bit more controllable than jumping on a ratchet bar and hoping for the best!!

M-R-P
Thursday 20th December 2012, 00:09
I was wondering about getting an impact gun and getting them out that way. Bit more controllable than jumping on a ratchet bar and hoping for the best!!
Good idea, just don't scrimp on torx bits ;)

silverhorse
Thursday 20th December 2012, 00:12
Yeah, I s'pose you get what you pay for. I have bought my fair share of drill/driver bits that seem to be made of plasticine

Harvey
Thursday 20th December 2012, 00:16
I had my set done a while back when I split the rim down I fitted some Imperial.bolts that just went in a couple of turns (Finger tight only) to stop the shot blasting getting in the threads and they also keep the powder coat out aswell.i think the bbs bolts were m7 I remember it was odd thread. I did mark the rims to keep them as matched parts.
When I rebuilt the rims up fitted all the bbs bolts left them for a day for the powder coat the settle down as power coat was still soft then went around all the bolts with studlock the next day.
Ps the rim was quite tight to refit had a carpet tile and a rubber malet to knock it as not to mark it.

Redbrick
Thursday 20th December 2012, 09:25
Been looking at your old thread from 2008!! You had fun and games there!
Did all your bolts come out OK? Found a thread on the Volvo OC forum and he had loads shear off:shockedbi http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=122967
Also, did you bother with new bolts or just use the old ones?

That prompted me to go back and look at the thread, good memories of a baking hot summer that helped with the drying process! Pretty much all the info is in this link, I put it all together so I could find it again if I ever needed to repeat it. http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?16703-Nebula-BBS-split-rim-project&p=183793&viewfull=1#post183793

The ease of removal of the bolts was probably due to the refurb they had six months before so if yours have never been apart that may be an issue.

silverhorse
Thursday 20th December 2012, 10:40
That prompted me to go back and look at the thread, good memories of a baking hot summer that helped with the drying process! Pretty much all the info is in this link, I put it all together so I could find it again if I ever needed to repeat it. http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?16703-Nebula-BBS-split-rim-project&p=183793&viewfull=1#post183793

The ease of removal of the bolts was probably due to the refurb they had six months before so if yours have never been apart that may be an issue.

They looked the biz though, didn't they!
How are they looking now?
The snapping bolt thing is making me nervous. I was considering just getting some other alloys. Saw these....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251198657396?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649..... but they are getting a bit pricey now. Nice though.

Redbrick
Thursday 20th December 2012, 10:47
They looked the biz though, didn't they!
How are they looking now?
The snapping bolt thing is making me nervous. I was considering just getting some other alloys. Saw these....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251198657396?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649..... but they are getting a bit pricey now. Nice though.

You'll find they are probably 5 x 108 but the centre bore will be too small assuming you have a P2 and not a P3.

WATCHMAN
Friday 21st December 2012, 00:54
I had mine powdercoated without splitting. It seemed easier at the time!
But what happened on all the wheels was that the sand-blasting loosened the bolts.
I found this out after having the wheels fitted again, and a knocking sound appearing as I drove down the road!!!
Wasn't driving fast though.
So took each wheel apart, cleaned up the joining parts.
Put some special sealant on the bare metal joins and loctite on the bolts.
They've been fine ever since.
Plus I have colour-coded bolts (I nearly put nuts then :)).

I've recently bought another nebula as a spare and stripped it down first.
I had no problem removing the bolts.

silverhorse
Friday 21st December 2012, 09:22
I had mine powdercoated without splitting. It seemed easier at the time!

Was considering that, but wasn't sure if the grit would get into all the nooks and crannies. It looks like the corrosion starts behind the join and works its way forward. Will have to have a good look at them.
Has any bubbling come through your powdercoat finish since you did them??

WATCHMAN
Friday 21st December 2012, 10:09
No bubbling at all.
The grit does get in the join big time.

Once I'd taken them apart, I used emery cloth to take any residue and corrosion off, so there were smooth surfaces.

silverhorse
Friday 21st December 2012, 10:43
I've recently bought another nebula as a spare and stripped it down first.
I had no problem removing the bolts.

Did you use ratchet and brute force to remove bolts? I am thinking impact gun.....