PDA

View Full Version : broken down- who can help diagnose please

dannyboy101
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 11:48
So I've been stuck in traffic for about an hour today, and all was fine, but then she started to hunt for an idle, so I turned her off. I left it a while as we wasn't moving, and when I restarted it was fine for a little while then started hunting again. Eventually it cut out, and then refused to start. It started next attempt, but was rough as hell, so pulled onto the hard shoulder.

No lights on the dash throught all of this.

Car is a 98 s70 t5 me7

Any suggestions guys please?

M-R-P
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 11:51
Sounds like the maf has cooked. unplug it and see if the situation improves. That'll help rule it out if nothing else.

Al115
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 11:56
I guess no indication of overheating?

Get the codes read, see if they tell you anything.

dannyboy101
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 12:22
Right unplugged maf, much better, not a perfect idle, but vastly improved. Could this also be because the car has cooled down as well? Should unplugging the maf make a light on the dash come on? I have a green triangle with an orange background come up..

No obvios sign of overheating

M-R-P
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 12:35
Unplugging the maf will give you a warning light mate.
From what you describe, it sounds like the maf is playing up.
Sometimes a "technical tap" with the back end of a screwdriver can help, or a good clean with carb or brake cleaner can get it going again.

dannyboy101
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 14:48
It was the maf. Unplugged and got home safely, was going to buy a new one until i saw the prices! Will try giving it a good clean 1st

M-R-P
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 15:03
Maybe somebody here has one?

Worth a wanted thread I think :)

dannyboy101
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 15:40
Your 2nd good idea of the day :remybussi

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 17:51
Danny, get the Bosch number off the MAF and let me know as I have a draw full of them... if I have a matching number you can have it for the cost of postage.

dannyboy101
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 18:21
Thanks mate. I will do that tomorrow, its cold and raining now, and having spent 7 hours on the m25 stuck in traffic, i just want a beer!

M-R-P
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 18:29
Dont blame you mate.

JamesT5
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 19:05
ETM problem perhaps?

M-R-P
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 19:22
ETM problem perhaps?

Deffo maf with this one mate.

T5frankie
Wednesday 19th December 2012, 20:38
coil pack?

dannyboy101
Thursday 20th December 2012, 11:06
Ok so numbers from maf are pbt gf does that sound right?
Also it wouldn't idle from cold with the maf unplugged but I guess this is normal.

I also looked th the coil (ignition coil) to the right of the airbox and it looks good, no white gunk.

dannyboy101
Thursday 20th December 2012, 14:44
Ok so have been playing between rain showers. With the maf plugged back in it idles better, but again still not right. And from cold its overfuelling massively. I can hear an irregular ticking noise from the injectors. Took it for adrive, and she is fine, no smoke on boost, no power loss.

Oh and when i plugged the maf back in, the green triangle light didnt go off, shoukd it, or does the fault need to be cleared before it goes off?

Which leads me nicely onto does anyone in the croydon area have a code reader? My local trusted garage is shut now till after xmas.

M-R-P
Thursday 20th December 2012, 14:47
The light will go off after a while mate. the ticking noise you heard is probably the injectors firing huge amounts of fuel into the system because the maf is still a bit numpty-fied.

dannyboy101
Thursday 20th December 2012, 14:56
Ok, just want to mske sure she will be fine if i drive her to work tomorrow. Are the cheap mafs on euro's any good? About 75 sheets i think, unsure which brand they are.

M-R-P
Thursday 20th December 2012, 15:22
Ok, just want to mske sure she will be fine if i drive her to work tomorrow. Are the cheap mafs on euro's any good? About 75 sheets i think, unsure which brand they are.

They come with a 12 month warranty and will get you out the 5h!t mate so worth a punt.

dannyboy101
Wednesday 2nd January 2013, 15:36
A quick update on this one guys. The cheap maf doesnt fit, not even close. Took the car to get plugged in today. No fault codes. So cleared the light, and all is fine. She felt faster with the light off, but there is no logic to this.

I have the original maf plugged back in, but its not right. I have found its worse from a warm start, and almost unnoticeable from cold.

Maf code is 861 27 1a 106 if anyone has a good one qvailable, i would like to swap it, to see if it makes any diference.

M-R-P
Wednesday 2nd January 2013, 15:47
Having a light on can affect performance in one way or another but I'm surprised a code wasn't stored.
It's gonna be the maf mate, 99% sure of that. Hope you slapped the guy at GSF for giving you the wrong part lol.

dannyboy101
Wednesday 2nd January 2013, 16:26
I ordered online i just didnt have time to get there. But just p*ssed it didnt fit. Its hardly been dry for long enough to fix anything.

c70geoff
Thursday 3rd January 2013, 02:30
i had the same issues with my c70 fella and changed the maf and all is sorted

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 3rd January 2013, 10:52
I ordered online i just didnt have time to get there. But just p*ssed it didnt fit. Its hardly been dry for long enough to fix anything.

That's fine, the distance selling regulations allow you to return the goods if in saleable condition.

Reading back your injectors will be running faster as I believe that the computer thinks it is running cold. Have tried to clean it?
Spray with carb cleaner and a cotton bud. Rip out the gauze that is there. You don't need it.

Al115
Thursday 3rd January 2013, 11:08
I'd recommend keeping the metal gauze in place - it helps to ensure that the airflow has the turbulence expected by the actual sensor. Without it the sensor might over- or under-read the mass of air passing.

Yes, the car will run without the gauze, but the fuelling might be off.

dannyboy101
Thursday 3rd January 2013, 19:52
Yes tried cleaning the old one with carb cleaner. If anything this has made it worse!

Does any one have a working bosch one they can dont need?

SteveRuss
Saturday 5th January 2013, 12:51
Yes tried cleaning the old one with carb cleaner. If anything this has made it worse!

Does any one have a working bosch one they can dont need?

I've got one of my old C70, T5 1999 that probably has around 10,000 miles on it, if that.. The car is long gone now but I still have a bunch of bits for it.. Wheels, stereo etc..

I'll have to have a dig around for it though as it could be in one of around six places..

GSF gave me the incorrect one as well which threw me on a wild goose chase. I only figured it out because I borrowed an original MAF off a local garage to double check. Email me through the site and we'll chat..

Regards. Steveruss

dannyboy101
Saturday 5th January 2013, 17:50
Steve, sent you a pm, couldnt work out how to email, sorry!

dannyboy101
Monday 11th March 2013, 18:07
An update on this problem. Finally got a maf that fits, after 3 wrong ones. And guess what is not the maf! Or do i have to give it time to bed in?
Also the problem has changed slightly. If im in traffic, i will get a vibration, them revs drop, then computer display will say disc, when all the characters come up, then after a few secs all back to normal.

Still no codes, either stored or live data.

Any ideas gents?

Brett855tdi
Monday 11th March 2013, 18:53
I think i might be getting similar issues to you... ive had this incident before and also had disc on the screen, i do seem to have a loss of power though but only when warm. also a weird what seems to be miss-fire, when sat in traffic for a when it seems to drop a cylinder for around 2 or 3 seconds then pics it back up again fine.

deathrider311271
Monday 11th March 2013, 19:25
Did you buy the el cheapo MAF?? if so you have waisted your money mate, the ME7 in particular has to run on the correct Bosch unit, secondly you can get a Bosch one from your local Bosch dealer for about £90 new, thirdly the code you have given has been superceeded it now ends 107/108. 4th you wont get a code for a faulty MAF sensor altho the engine light WILL be on.

Mr P is quite correct with this diag, simply because if it were the ETM or the throttle it will have stored a code, what was your care read with for diagnostics??

dannyboy101
Monday 11th March 2013, 19:57
Sorry i have now learnt my car is pre me7. It was read with snap on diag reader from my local garage.
My maf code ends in 107. I only got the engine light on because i pulled the plug on the sensor with the ignition on.