PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Wheel?

JimmyBurnWorld
Sunday 16th December 2012, 21:28
Hi All.

I managed to drive to work last Wednesday on a flat rear right tyre without realising (bar thinking - It's a bit slippy today! lol). So knackered tyre, got a new one. Got back from an errand this morning, went to the boot and noticed... new tyre was flat and I'd just driven home on it. I've pumped it back up, so I'm going to see how much pressure is left tomorrow.

Either way, it's going to probably need another new tyre, but before I get carried away setting fire to more money is it possible that the wheel is leaking? I'd just assumed the first one was a puncture in the Tyre.

If it is the wheel, can it be fixed? Some of the regulars will notice I don't have much with tyres!

p fandango
Sunday 16th December 2012, 21:41
yeh, i've had a couple of wheels (non-Volvo tho) that have gone porous & let air out thru the metal

oblark
Sunday 16th December 2012, 21:48
My work van kept having a flat tyre, found that weld on the steel rim had a hair line crack and letting the air out slowly.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 16th December 2012, 21:54
Have you checked the rim and valve with some soapy water?

silverhorse
Sunday 16th December 2012, 22:06
Even a small bit of corrosion on the edge of the rim where the bead of the tyre and the rim meet, can cause a break in the seal and allow air to escape.
Particularly common is where balancing weights are knocked on to the edge of the rim. Yours are probably stick ons, but worth checking the rim/tyre seal and any balancing weights. Remember to get wheel off and have a good look on inner side.

Loadsamiles
Monday 17th December 2012, 02:37
Why think it's the wheel when the valve is the most common cause of non-puncture flats?

JimmyBurnWorld
Monday 17th December 2012, 05:33
My reasoning was 2 x flats with 2 tyres and 2 valves and 1 wheel. Wheel is the common factor, unless they didn't do a proper job when fitting the new tyre.

If the alloy is the problem, is there anything that can be done to save it? Would the tyre shop know what to do?

M-R-P
Monday 17th December 2012, 09:14
Could it just be another puncture?

oblark
Monday 17th December 2012, 09:18
If it`s the alloy rim then get a inner tube fitted.

5seaterT5x2
Monday 17th December 2012, 18:53
Even a small bit of corrosion on the edge of the rim where the bead of the tyre and the rim meet, can cause a break in the seal and allow air to escape.
Particularly common is where balancing weights are knocked on to the edge of the rim. Yours are probably stick ons, but worth checking the rim/tyre seal and any balancing weights. Remember to get wheel off and have a good look on inner side.

what he said had 2 of mine done the other day for this reason

JimmyBurnWorld
Monday 17th December 2012, 20:04
If it`s the alloy rim then get a inner tube fitted.

:doh: Oh yeah! Completley forgot about the most simple ancient technology there is. There was me looking for some NASA developed alloy matrix re-unification paste that could be injected using 1000virgins on a foot pump.

Inner tube. Lol. Thanks! - Reckon a tyre shop could fit? ;)

M-R-P
Monday 17th December 2012, 20:05
:doh: Oh yeah! Completley forgot about the most simple ancient technology there is. There was me looking for some NASA developed alloy matrix re-unification paste that could be injected using 1000virgins on a foot pump.

Inner tube. Lol. Thanks! - Reckon a tyre shop could fit? ;)

Lol - a fekkin' monkey could fit it lmao :)

Harvey
Monday 17th December 2012, 20:13
When's the last time you seen a tube fitted in a rim.the last one I saw was in the fork lift.

M-R-P
Monday 17th December 2012, 20:15
A forklift with pneumatic tyres? Must have been a telehandler ;)

Harvey
Monday 17th December 2012, 20:17
A forklift with pneumatic tyres? Must have been a telehandler ;)
No just a little 2t one

Jimmie
Monday 17th December 2012, 21:15
I wouldn't fit a tube into a tubeless tyre unless it was for a short and emergency journey?
Ask a proper tyre fitter the question why!

silverhorse
Monday 17th December 2012, 21:47
I wouldn't fit a tube into a tubeless tyre unless it was for a short and emergency journey?

Yep. He's right. Especially in a car that can exert the kind of forces that ours can.:scared:

oblark
Monday 17th December 2012, 21:51

I`ve fitted inner tubes in every motor bike I`ve had over the years and haven`t an problems.

silverhorse
Monday 17th December 2012, 22:03
I`ve fitted inner tubes in every motor bike I`ve had over the years and haven`t an problems.

But your bike did not weigh getting on for 2 tonnes and have the lateral cornering forces to match. The centrifugal force acting on the car tyre is immense at speed. Not to mention the heat.
If it was OK to do, we would all be doing it every time we got a puncture in an otherwise sound tyre. Save a fortune.
Each to their own but, if I was carrying my wife and kids about at 70-80 on a motorway, I would be very conscious of the fact that I did not have sound tyres.

Jimmie
Monday 17th December 2012, 22:15
You will be very lucky to get someone to fit a tube in a tubeless tyre.
There is a high risk of the tube overheating and you would then have a blow out.
Do you think a competent fitter would risk his livelihood?

nobananas
Monday 17th December 2012, 22:26
The reason you don't see many inner tubes fitted to tyres these days is that (afaik) it's now illegal to fit a tube in a tubeless tyre (tyre fitters shouldn't be doing it !). Most likely cause if not the valve is that (and I'm assuming we are talking an alloy here) is that the alloy has oxidized (corroded) on the bead seat of the rim (that's the flat strip on the inner and outer rim, not the vertical lip that wheel weights are banged on to). Usually the corrosion lifts the paint and forms a channel through which the air can bleed out. With the tyre off scratch, wire-brush and sand the corrosion away and any loose or flaking paint needs removing back to sound paint. Then get the tyre refitted using bead sealer which will seal any bits you may have missed. The alloys on my 850 are absolutely knackered and I have to do all this every six months or so because the alloys are so corroded !

silverhorse
Monday 17th December 2012, 22:36
The wifes MX5 alloys were so bad I had to bite the bullet and get them shot blasted and powder coated.
wheels are like everything else. They wear out in their own way and then you have to spend some money!!