PDA

View Full Version : OBX Exhaust

T5Rica
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 05:59
Does anyone know if the OBX exhaust that the Americans tend to buy fits RHD cars or is their a major difference with routing/fitment between the two?

TIA

T5frankie
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 06:05
A big hammer is needed

T5Rica
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 06:12
Yeah thanks for that, did do a search but nothing came out when I typed OBX.

Have just finished reading a post and there was a thumbnail picture of an obx downpipe that had been squashed to fit. It almost looked like it was crushed to half its size.

Surely this would defeat the purpose with the flow?

No other way around it at all?

p fandango
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 08:13
Yeah thanks for that, did do a search but nothing came out when I typed OBX.

Have just finished reading a post and there was a thumbnail picture of an obx downpipe that had been squashed to fit. It almost looked like it was crushed to half its size.

Surely this would defeat the purpose with the flow?

No other way around it at all?
i don't think they need that much squashing, just enough to clear the guard on the RHD steering rack

T5Rica
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 08:24
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?47046-3-quot-Downpipe&highlight=exhaust

Is this over squashed then or not?

cherry1809
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 10:32
Lol, it wasn't as bad as that pic made it look ;)
The rest of the system is a very good fit, and no issues at all.
Only thing I'm changing on mine is the silencer. Making it so there's a flange at the back, for easy swap to straight through pipe :D

T5Rica
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 11:58
Cheers Cherry.

From your original post you seem a little unsure if that is the straight or angled downpipe, was it on the car when you acquired it or did you put it on yourself?

I know they dont supply a conical D/P so if I was to buy it I'd have to either get an angled or straight outlet or weld a conical flange into the straight pipe.

Obviously would be keen to know what outlet you had and if it wasnt the angled outlet would the d/p likely have to be bashed less or more?

Was the OBX too loud or was it ok?

Hope I haven't confused you too much with the questions and you get what I mean.

TY.

kfc
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 12:55
I have a 3" down pipe on a straight flange and rather than bash the bottom bend I trimmed the heat shield alittle. even when I put it on and had taken the shield off, its still a wriggle to get in place. but still worth the effort.

T5frankie
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 13:31
It's not the heatshield that's in the way

cherry1809
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 13:39
I bought it all complete 2nd hand but didn't fit the dp.
I've bodged the system onto the original downpipe with cat for now. Not too loud at all really, but sounds nice when the boost comes in. Will try and get some vid if you want?
Expect it'll get a bit louder when the cat comes off :)
Was made to fit the 16t. Keep checking ebay as when new they come with both types, so the spare usually gets chucked on there.

T5frankie
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 16:20
it will be alot louder without the cat

T5Rica
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 21:31
Thanks for the replies.

Some video would be great.

Off the shelf OBX doesn't have a cat does it? I'm currently catless on the original exhaust system and was wondering if the BHP gains from swapping to the OBX system are worth the trouble, especially when it doesn't look like the D/P fits.

Can get the whole system brand new for 300 AUD (its in Aus) but just cant decide if its worth bodging it as a squished downpipe will affect the whole exhaust system.

T5Rica
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 21:33
KFC....... was yours an OBX downpipe?

kfc
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 21:42
KFC....... was yours an OBX downpipe?
Not sure on the one that fitted to the atm, but the one i got from cherry was.

T5Rica
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 22:14
The bashed one or a different one?

LiamT4
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 22:20
it will be alot louder without the cat

Do the cats on these older cars really make them a lot quieter? My t4 didn't get much louder when i removed the cat.

T5Rica
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 22:25
Mine certainly sounded quite a bit louder when I got a straight pipe welded in its place.

There's only 1 suitcase muffler in the middle of the system on the 850's, newer cars may have two mufflers?

LiamT4
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 22:31
Mine certainly sounded quite a bit louder when I got a straight pipe welded in its place.

There's only 1 suitcase muffler in the middle of the system on the 850's, newer cars may have two mufflers?

Yes, but my t4 just had the one silencer and removing the cat did little to the noise of the car, maybe the cat is more restrictive in the 850s and thus helps make the car quieter.

T5Rica
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 22:34
Yeah I think that might be the case, performance was certainly improved.

Did you feel much change with a decat on the T4?

LiamT4
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 22:41
Yeah I think that might be the case, performance was certainly improved.

Did you feel much change with a decat on the T4?

It was definatly quicker, especially higher up the revs.

Now i think about it the cat on the t4 was noticeably smaller than the one on my old s70r.

cherry1809
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 10:10
With the full system there's a 2 foot piece just after the downpipe that can easily be replaced by a sports cat, or at least something that looks like a cat ;)

T5Rica
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 10:25
Yeah I'm not too worried about the cat as you dont need MOTs here. My main concern is the downpipe. Did you fit to a straight or angled outlet turbo?

cherry1809
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 14:45
I never got round to fitting it proper, as I'm hopefully getting another engine sorted out in the not too distant future. :)

mick850R
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 21:02
I just got a 3" down pipe and tried fitting it today and what a ball ache!!!! Any way cut along story short its not on!! Is there any way of having it on with the steering guard as I want to keep that to protect the rack.

cherry1809
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 22:40
Hammer? Lol. If I'd kept mine I'd have had an inch cut out and had it re welded so it sat nearer the turbo, giving you a bit more room to play with. Other than that make another, smaller heat shield for the rack. Or both.

mick850R
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 23:50
Hammer? Lol. If I'd kept mine I'd have had an inch cut out and had it re welded so it sat nearer the turbo, giving you a bit more room to play with. Other than that make another, smaller heat shield for the rack. Or both.

I thought about shortening the neck as its already been beaten to death with a hammer and is still virtually sat on the rack. Think I will remove the broken stud then have another go. Cheers.