PDA

View Full Version : v70 D5 2003 - Battery loses charge if car is jacked up at the rear

v70d5
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:54
Hello all,

I have had this hapen to me twice now in the ast couple of weeks. If I jack the rear of my car up for an hour or so, the battery loses enough charge to not allow the car to start.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Volvostorm
Sunday 9th December 2012, 20:16
Thats a different one, best guess is to start looking for loose connection? :rolleyes2:help:

Harvey
Sunday 9th December 2012, 20:51
Is the cars radio on when you are working on car or the interior lights on,keys in the steering column as this will wake up the cars computers,any of these things will pull the battery down quite fast.

M-R-P
Sunday 9th December 2012, 23:09
As above. If the battery is old, the combination of ignition, stereo and interior lights will kill a battery pretty fast. Took 30 minutes on mine. Plus, you have a D5 so the ignition being on may be heating the glow plugs.

Loadsamiles
Friday 14th December 2012, 00:15
Have you tried jacking the front up to see if the charge comes back?

Hello all,

I have had this hapen to me twice now in the ast couple of weeks. If I jack the rear of my car up for an hour or so, the battery loses enough charge to not allow the car to start.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

M-R-P
Friday 14th December 2012, 00:20
Haha, that's proper funny ;)

cookie
Saturday 15th December 2012, 08:51
have you checked there's no holes in the battery, and if you look in boot can you see if any electricity is leaking into spare wheel well :D

v70d5
Sunday 16th December 2012, 18:53
The battery casing is sound. Driving up onto ramps doesn't cause this problem. The terminals are secure and I have used vaseline on them too. It's weird, and will probably cause me to buy a new battery.

Loadsamiles
Monday 17th December 2012, 02:27
1 What do you mean by "jacked up at the rear"? (Left side? Right side? Both sides? )

2 What Jack?

3 What are you doing to it when it's jacked up?

4 Why are you jacking it up?

5 Does your battery ever loose charge at any other time?

6 Did you leave the tailgate open or closed?

Either there is some odd coincidence going on and you just think it's because you are jacking it up, or you have a loose or damaged wire that is touching the body when the car is in a certain position.

cookie
Tuesday 18th December 2012, 08:52
Neighbour had same problem when hoovering her car, battery always went flat, even though she didn't plug the hoover into the car, It was either the hoover sucking the power from the car, or perhaps the fact she had the stereo on, and the interior lights on :rotfl:

stribo
Tuesday 18th December 2012, 10:12
I've found out a couple of times, the C70 doesn't like being left with the stereo and interior lights on, only lasts about an hour before it won't start, the Cougar would last most of the day in the same situation, perhaps the Volvo powers other stuff which causes a drain.

v70d5
Thursday 27th December 2012, 08:29
Both sides were on axle stands. I used a hydraulic jack. I was checking things that needed repairing. Only other tome it has ever used charge was when the parking heater was used for a few days and only short trips were made. Key was not in the ignition, doors were locked, windows were up, and no lights were on.

M-R-P
Thursday 27th December 2012, 09:19
I've found out a couple of times, the C70 doesn't like being left with the stereo and interior lights on, only lasts about an hour before it won't start, the Cougar would last most of the day in the same situation, perhaps the Volvo powers other stuff which causes a drain.
sounds like you need a new battery Steve.

Both sides were on axle stands. I used a hydraulic jack. I was checking things that needed repairing. Only other tome it has ever used charge was when the parking heater was used for a few days and only short trips were made. Key was not in the ignition, doors were locked, windows were up, and no lights were on.

I would start checking the loom in the back of the car for poor connections.