PDA

View Full Version : 'Service' Light on the Dash

JamesT5
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:02
Hi

The service warning light has come on, on the DIM for a few minutes after starting the car, which obviously means by engine is crying out for a service....

So, once the car has been serviced (I'll be doing most of it myself), how do I get the light to stop coming on? Normally, there is a secret combination of buttons you can press to turn these things off and I'm guessing someone or a number of people here will know the answer? It's obviously not something Volvo splash all over the Owners Manual so any help will be greatly appreciated.....

Regards

James

silverhorse
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:34
It's obviously not something Volvo splash all over the Owners Manual

Haha, you've got that right. Too many elderly Volvo owners are getting fleeced every year by stealers. Nice little earner for the company.
There are people here who know how to do it, I am sure they will be along soon.....:P

AshT5
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:40
1. Make sure the trip meter is in T-1
2. Put key in "accessory" position "I"
3. Press and hold trip meter until it goes to zero
4. While still holding the trip meter, turn key to "run" position "II"
5. When original trip mileage returns, release
6. Turn key to "off" position "0"

JamesT5
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:45
1. Make sure the trip meter is in T-1
2. Put key in "accessory" position "I"
3. Press and hold trip meter until it goes to zero
4. While still holding the trip meter, turn key to "run" position "II"
5. When original trip mileage returns, release
6. Turn key to "off" position "0"

Thanks mate, you're a star. I bet a Main Stealer would charge about £40 quid to do this claiming it has to be set by a "special computer".....

stribo
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:47
If you have a pre ME7 engine, you'll need a Draper 69007, or equivalent.

Rudeyboy18
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:55
Surely if you have all the paperwork/previous service logs and keep all the receipts/log mileage of any work carried out , that little light shouldn't be a prob..??

M-R-P
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:56
There are different combinations of button durations and key positions between the 00-02 cars and 03 onwards. If the above doesn't work, there's another combination somewhere, I'll dig it out if need be.

What is puzzling me is, you're saying "service light" but there's a message that appears on the info screen... "time for regular service" the key/button combination is to clear that message. The light should go away automatically, after the service (I think it's warning you of a blocked oil filter or such-like)

JamesT5
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:58
It's the Service light that comes on, on the right hand side of the DIM as opposed to a message on the LED screen....

Rudeyboy18
Sunday 9th December 2012, 19:59
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Oil-Service-Airbag-Light-Reset-Tool-Hire-V70-S70-S40-V40-850-Draper-69007-/140833135743?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item20ca4f1c7f

This guy rents his out for £6.50..................... worth a shot if you need to reset your PRE ME7 Volvo

JamesT5
Sunday 9th December 2012, 20:02
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Oil-Service-Airbag-Light-Reset-Tool-Hire-V70-S70-S40-V40-850-Draper-69007-/140833135743?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item20ca4f1c7f

This guy rents his out for £6.50..................... worth a shot if you need to reset your PRE ME7 Volvo

Love the way the guy has it for sale for £6.50 including free postage but then asks for a £20 deposit in the listing description. Go figure..... :confused: :D

JamesT5
Sunday 9th December 2012, 20:02
Surely if you have all the paperwork/previous service logs and keep all the receipts/log mileage of any work carried out , that little light shouldn't be a prob..??

Yes, but the Service warning light is just irritating once you've serviced the car.........

Rudeyboy18
Sunday 9th December 2012, 20:05
Love the way the guy has it for sale for £6.50 including free postage but then asks for a £20 deposit in the listing description. Go figure..... :confused: :D

Its to hire it out. So you pay £6.50 .... plus £20. He send it to you, you use it for a max of 7 days. The send it back . Once he has it back he refunds you back the £20. Bit like HML with the ECU's

M-R-P
Sunday 9th December 2012, 20:21
It's the Service light that comes on, on the right hand side of the DIM as opposed to a message on the LED screen....

Picture of an oil can = low oil, low oil pressure or knackered filter/oil. Change the oil and it'll go away if there's no other problems.

Yellow picture of an engine = engine problem of some type - read codes.

HTH.

JamesT5
Monday 10th December 2012, 20:49
Picture of an oil can = low oil, low oil pressure or knackered filter/oil. Change the oil and it'll go away if there's no other problems.

Yellow picture of an engine = engine problem of some type - read codes.

HTH.

Thanks however it's neither. On the right hand side of the DIM, where the handbrake warning symbol is there is a light that comes on that literally says 'Service'. I think it's a reminder to say the car needs a service.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Monday 10th December 2012, 21:41
Hmm.. odd - mine doesn't have that!

Rudeyboy18
Monday 10th December 2012, 22:58
Thanks however it's neither. On the right hand side of the DIM, where the handbrake warning symbol is there is a light that comes on that literally says 'Service'. I think it's a reminder to say the car needs a service.

Regards

James

Thats the layout of the phase 1 ....... Mine comes on too same place. In orange. Just to clarify we what phase car are we talking?? Im thinking phase 1, but your pic is phase 2

M-R-P
Monday 10th December 2012, 23:05
Yep, James' car is an early P2. I know where the light should be but I don't have it on mine lol.

Rudeyboy18
Monday 10th December 2012, 23:13
Must be a PLOD MOD......

M-R-P
Monday 10th December 2012, 23:17
Nope - all the P2 DIMS I've seen are the same as mine. I think my old DIM may have displayed the service thing randomly, before it tried setting fire to the car...

stribo
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 06:40
No service light on our S60, only on my C70.

JamesT5
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 18:30
It's Phase 2 model and it has this light on the dash. If I get chance, I'll get a photo of the light as people seem really confused.....

M-R-P
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 19:59
It's Phase 2 model and it has this light on the dash. If I get chance, I'll get a photo of the light as people seem really confused.....

Please mate, It's got me interested lol.

jdavis
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 00:22
Im confused. Always thought it would be a message rather than a light. Mine hasnt shown yet but on my p1 i had a light

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 08:31
Im confused. Always thought it would be a message rather than a light. Mine hasnt shown yet but on my p1 i had a light

Exactly. Although the "time for regular service" message goes off after a preset number of miles (which can be changed through Dice/Vida) What James is describing sounds more like a warning... But why no message?

Odd.

jdavis
Friday 14th December 2012, 18:29
Well seems the early p2's do have a service light as mine has just come on. Just a little light near handbrake light that says 'Service'. No messages though.

M-R-P
Friday 14th December 2012, 19:28
Bloody crossovers!

JamesT5
Friday 14th December 2012, 21:00
Well seems the early p2's do have a service light as mine has just come on. Just a little light near handbrake light that says 'Service'. No messages though.

Yes, that's the one mate! It's orange writing not red, so nothing serious but it's just the car letting us know we've neglected the engine and spent too much money on other stuff. :)

Nev
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 16:31
I've just reset my message display and the service message now gone. Thank you. 03P2 v70r

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 1st January 2013, 17:21
Yes, but the Service warning light is just irritating once you've serviced the car.........

Simple's just keep your eyes closed for the first mile and you'll be ok after that.....lol

If this idea doesn't grab you, you could try my method to reset our old p2 (bless her, written off now)

VOLVO RESETSERVICELIGHT
Step 1: Press and keep depressed your odometer button on your dash clocks.

Step 2: keeping the odometer depressed, insert your ignition key and turn
until your ignition lights come on. (Do not start your car)

Step 3: After a few seconds your SERVICELIGHT will start to flash. Now release
your finger off odometer button and remove your key.

Step 4: Now start your car and your servicelight will be off and the service
mileage will be back to 0000. (This figure may differ depending how long
your servicelight has been on and how many miles the car has covered).

JamesT5
Wednesday 2nd January 2013, 06:59
Simple's just keep your eyes closed for the first mile and you'll be ok after that.....lol

If this idea doesn't grab you, you could try my method to reset our old p2 (bless her, written off now)

VOLVO RESETSERVICELIGHT
Step 1: Press and keep depressed your odometer button on your dash clocks.

Step 2: keeping the odometer depressed, insert your ignition key and turn
until your ignition lights come on. (Do not start your car)

Step 3: After a few seconds your SERVICELIGHT will start to flash. Now release
your finger off odometer button and remove your key.

Step 4: Now start your car and your servicelight will be off and the service
mileage will be back to 0000. (This figure may differ depending how long
your servicelight has been on and how many miles the car has covered).

Thanks for that, obviously I will wait until the car is serviced before switching it off as the car is well overdue for an oil change.

Regards

James