PDA

View Full Version : V70r awd 1997

v70rs
Saturday 8th December 2012, 22:34
Hi

A question: I had my car serviced from a local garage including the handbrake readjusting. My wife drove it for 2 days and covered @ 150 motorway miles. When I drove it I realised the handbrake was sticking badly on the passenger side rear. The car's only done 97k original miles and the car was working perfectly fine pre handbrake being adjusted. The mechanic is now telling me the gearbox is shot. Can it be related to the handbrake sticking?

Cheers
Ben

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 9th December 2012, 13:08
If the handbrake was sticking it might have put extra strain on the AWD system (angle gear and connecting sleeve to the gearbox)

T5frankie
Sunday 9th December 2012, 15:51
i cant see the connection

v70rs
Monday 10th December 2012, 19:20
Any other thoughts? A qualified technician's opinion would be most helpful.

T5frankie
Monday 10th December 2012, 19:28
what noise is the gearbox making?

Rudeyboy18
Monday 10th December 2012, 19:33
Is it the hand brake sticking or is it just the viscous coupling gone etc.... Ive recently had major probs with my V70 R awd...... Everytime i turned the wheel more than 75% of way round it felt like the rear wheels loclked... ( hand brake sticking )...... I would remove the prop shaft ( between angle gear and rear diff. ..... took 20mins to with the car in the air. 12 bolts in total i think. And try the car then..... Im pretty certain that its not the handbrake. Just coincedence you hand handbrake adjustment. He's probably right its a transmission fault..... but remove the prop shaft and see if it goes. If it does , than atleast you know the problem is the viscous coupling unit or the the rear diff. Hope this helps.....